GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Now I know somebody knows something......

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-01, 04:07 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I know somebody knows something......

Fellow Lexus members,

After posting up in the suspension/handling section, I reccommended a "Sticky Post" to the GS forum in an effort to draw more suggestions and or experiences/resolutions to this tremendous problem! I too have had this problem even with normal allignments and balancing! It was pointed out that our cars have much more caster than normal, thus this problem will be ever present! To the contrary another member states his car is lowered and he hasn't had this problem. But it would appear to be the majority of us out there with "lowered" GS's are definitely experiencing this troubling and costly (front tires wearing before rears) situation! I did notice that after lowering my car the caster numbers were significantly worse/off after the fact, and yes I had 4-wheel allignment done when I first lowered it, and twice since then, for a total of 3 allignments in less than a year! I am going to go on a suggestion from a buddy of mine who has a E430 w/ 19' wheels who experienced similar problems, but now gets an allignment every 3000 miles! That's just so friggin time comsuming for me personally, but at the sake of going thru expensive rubber quicker than a year, hey you gotta do what you gotta do! Any and all experiences and suggestions are welcome! This is what it's all about!
Old 10-10-01, 07:20 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm...check out the photo below...this is my rear tire, you can see that the coilovers are adjusted all the way to the bottom (lowest setting)...

As you can see, I have even tirewear...(don't mind the crooked picture...it's late)
Attached Thumbnails Now I know somebody knows something......-rear-tire.jpg  
Old 10-10-01, 07:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Now here's a picture of my front tire...again, even treadwear...

I have NEVER had my car's alignment adjusted in any way both before and after the lowering job...my front tire is only 0.5" to 0.75" from the edge of the fender (which is pretty low for the front tires)...and since I have a staggered setup with directional tires, I've never rotated my tire either...

Hmmm, I think I'll have my dealer check the alignment just to see if it's off and by how much...
Attached Thumbnails Now I know somebody knows something......-front-tire-straight.jpg  
Old 10-10-01, 08:03 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

What manf, model, and size are those man?

TIA
Old 10-10-01, 08:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Those are Nitto NT-555 Extremes...

Front - 245/35-20 (on a 8.5" x 20" wheel)
Rear - 275/30-20 (on a 9.5" x 20" wheel)
Old 10-10-01, 05:02 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation Damn You Lucky!!!

Originally posted by manaray
Now here's a picture of my front tire...again, even treadwear...

I have NEVER had my car's alignment adjusted in any way both before and after the lowering job...my front tire is only 0.5" to 0.75" from the edge of the fender (which is pretty low for the front tires)...and since I have a staggered setup with directional tires, I've never rotated my tire either...

Hmmm, I think I'll have my dealer check the alignment just to see if it's off and by how much...
Dude don't even post this up! It just makes matters worse for me! :eek: Seeing all that meat (tread) on them Nitto's like that! All I got to say is, "Damn you Lucky!" You must drive on the smoothest surfaces on EARTH!!! :eek:
Old 10-10-01, 11:18 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Just wondering , but how do car's alignment get out of wack ?

Reason i ask is because i haven't gotten an alignment in over a year (almost 2 years really ) and when i went Monday it was perfect .
Old 10-11-01, 08:17 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1niceride
Just wondering , but how do car's alignment get out of wack ?

Reason i ask is because i haven't gotten an alignment in over a year (almost 2 years really ) and when i went Monday it was perfect .
Again I say, "Lucky Fool!!!"
But no really, several factors can jack up your allignment: potholes, tracks, uneven pavement will speed up the process for sure! But normal driving over time will (should) cause the allignment to go off at least slightly!