GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The begininng of my GS300 project!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 08:44 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry, I in no way meant to imply that tan was ugly, I just meant that since you mentioned you wanted blk or hoped the tan would look ok that you should not settle since your building such a fantastic project..

as far as the spoiler is this the one your talking about? http://www.wingswest.com/products_de...page=1&id=1300 as far as I know there isn't a copy or other version of this spoiler out there...

HIN Night shift which is an out door car/drifting show from HIN is going to be April 14th at Tropicana Field Tampa parking lot... I probably won't make it out there.

Last edited by bluelex; 01-25-07 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-25-07, 09:26 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice project! Cant wait to see when its finished!
Old 01-26-07, 04:35 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugly = my personal opinion. I will see how it matches up once I get everything back together.

I am glad you can't make it to HIN here in Tampa , that just means that there won't be a nicer GS then mine there!!! HAHA.

What year 2jz's in your GS? An Aristo motor? Any hints you have to make the install easier? I went with a 99 Aristo clip w/ VVTi, from everything I've read and learned, it should almost be plug and play. I've been following a thread with another member's single turbo VVTi build and it seems he's having problems with tuning due to the VVTi.

That was the same spoiler that I originally wanted, but what I got in the mail seems to look completely different. I will put up some pictures when I get to the shop today. It seems to sit a lot higher then what it appears to be on your car and also in that link.

With the two tone paint, this is what I have planned. The black top will be accented with all carbon fiber garnish and trim. The hood is carbon fiber, alone with OEM JDM CF door trim and also the Aristo rear 1/4 garnish. The wing will be a 3 piece wing kinda like the Wings West one, but made out of carbon fiber. The bottom of the two tone will be garnished with all chrome trim. Door handles will be the JDM chrome handles, with the JDM chrome trunk bar.

This is what the wing looks like -

Originally Posted by bluelex
I'm sorry, I in no way meant to imply that tan was ugly, I just meant that since you mentioned you wanted blk or hoped the tan would look ok that you should not settle since your building such a fantastic project..

as far as the spoiler is this the one your talking about? http://www.wingswest.com/products_de...page=1&id=1300 as far as I know there isn't a copy or other version of this spoiler out there...

HIN Night shift which is an out door car/drifting show from HIN is going to be April 14th at Tropicana Field Tampa parking lot... I probably won't make it out there.
Old 01-26-07, 06:15 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, that looks like an explosion style spoiler. Very similar in style..

It does sit a lot higher and also come down more on the trunk..

I had an aristo non vvt-i motor and tranny swap done by the guys at Grip in Melbourne. I wish I had some info but I didn't do any labor nor do i really know what goes into the wireing to make it work. I do know that my swap was done in about 3 weeks time once we got all my chrome back from the plator. I think the non vvt-i is much easier to swap in and get running. I only say this from my experience an from what I have read here or been told at meets from others who have done it aswell. Tuning the vvt-i for big power seems to be an issue from what I have read so far but maybe with medium power on either stock twins or us twins it might be tuned easier. I actually just recently did the usdm twin set up and it really wasn't a hard job to get it in at all as long as you have all the components from the us supra for the twin set up. I wish I could explain it better but again since i don't do the actual labor I just go by what I was told by the techs at Grip. I know that they had the new twins swapped in and tested in about a weeks worth time but again its cuz i didn't buy just the us twins I bought the whole us twin set up with all the pipes,manifold everything..

I really like the theme you have planned and can't wait to see it completed. Probably won't be Tampa but i hope to see it at HIN orlando or DUB Miami which are both in June. Good luck man.

Last edited by bluelex; 01-26-07 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-26-07, 07:03 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

VERY VERY impressive work!!
Old 01-26-07, 07:04 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Much like you, I do a lot of reading and research on my projects. I have not looked, but I will search around and see if there's a write up on how to get the USDM twins to work. I have a set at my shop, but from the brief moment I looked at it, there seems to be quiet a bit of modification needed for them to work. Maybe I am just missing something, but I will make sure again today. My goal right off the back for right now is to just get the car up and running. I planned to stick with the JDM twins, because it seemed like there's too much work to do on the USDM twins, but I will find out today. As for wiring, I went year specific on my motor and according to write ups that I have read, it should be plug and play. This will be a car that's driven quiet a bit, so I am not looking for mass amounts of HP, but I still want it to move. We will see, things change every damn day. I have been speaking with Boost Logic about sponsorship of a single setup, but I don't want to have to go through upgrading as of yet.

We will see how things pan out.
Old 01-26-07, 07:06 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

For those that are interested in purchasing or using the same parts as I have selected on my car, stay tuned. I have detailed pictures and will have write-ups on how to install each and every part. Just an idea, just on the BBK, coilover, and swaybar install, I have over 200+ pictures. Once I get time, I will be putting it up here at CL a DIY thread with step by step install.
Old 01-26-07, 07:15 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am jumping into this one kinda late but it does look awesome. I can't wait to see it myself. I plan on being at HIN Tampa so I will be looking for you there. I see that Adrian is skipping a show that I plan on being at again but its ok I won't take it personal. I have a feeling that I will actually see his car in person in 2007. But anyway back to your beautiful project with all the time and money spent on this build I know you will have a lot of success on the show scene. See you at HIN Tampa!
Old 01-26-07, 07:18 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

For those that like to know what kind of projects I build and or what kind of perfectionist I am on the cars I own....here are a couple more of our cars....

This is my s14, it's forsale right now......getting a Supra soon.

s13.5 - like the dash?

Gonna resize some of these pictures....they will be back up later....

Last edited by DCMango; 01-26-07 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-26-07, 07:25 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Here's my daily.

Old 01-26-07, 07:38 AM
oki_boy
Pole Position

Love the Kouki. Still plan on getting one someday. Is the dash a cover or full replacement? Very nice.
Old 01-26-07, 07:49 AM
GS3T
Lead Lap

Where did you get the Apexcone HID from? How much? BTW the car looks great.
Old 01-26-07, 07:51 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DCMango
Can I see more pics of this dashboard? Wow, it looks nice!
Old 01-26-07, 08:01 AM
SickSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

thats going to be one good looking GS when its done. btw the s14 looks sick
Old 01-26-07, 09:35 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

RX469 here are some more pictures for ya. This was completely done in house at my shop, took about 28 hours to fab everything. We actually fiberglassed over the entire dash, it's not just an overlay.

Quick Reply: The begininng of my GS300 project!