GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The begininng of my GS300 project!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 05:02 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mono amp.
Old 08-21-06, 05:08 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

do you mind saying how much you paid for it, im lookin for an amp to power either two 12 inch type rs or two 12 inch type S subs
Old 08-21-06, 05:14 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Let me check my invoices and I will PM you tomorrow.
Old 08-21-06, 05:18 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

thanks and are you just putting the subs in a box or a custom enclosure?
Old 08-21-06, 05:25 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

It's actually in a custom enclosure. The stereo portion of my GS was the first thing ever to be completed.
Old 08-21-06, 06:11 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

do you got pics, im bout to custom my trunk too
Old 08-21-06, 06:22 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrvnConcpt
I am begininng to like my GS project, seems there's A LOT more of you guys on Club Lexus then I had anticipated! Any of you are more then welcome to stop and take a look at the project. It's undergoing the transformation fairly fast, doing the whole Pimp My Ride thing, haha. Is that your car in the signature? If so, you need to drop by and say hi. We are located right next door to Rent A Wheel. I would love to have the chance to check out other GSs in the area!!!!
lol yes thats my gs in my sig what days are you there at your shop ?? and whats your name so i know who to ask for when i stop by .......shawn
Old 08-21-06, 06:45 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like quite a project. Cant wait to see the end result
Old 08-22-06, 05:09 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you running the stock TQ converter? Are you running the 4 spd AT or the 5 spd AT? My clips came with the 5 spd AT. I have been looking at some aftermarket TQ converters, seems they are all around the $900 range, didn't know if you have any experience with both?
I still running the stock TC which sucks. I'm running the gte 4spd auto. I need a tc bad and its in the plans it just that I am still trying to figure out what stall spd to go with, we were thinking of teh standard 2800 stall to be safe with rev issues. I was going to go 3200 but I really am anot about the crazy spd and what teh car to still drive nice and smooth so maybe a 2800 in the next couple motnhs will help out with my 60fts and low end power.
Old 08-22-06, 07:12 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

A 3200 TQ converter should not alter the ride of your car in anyway. In theory, it will help you to spool up a lot better before launching, but should effect anything else. Depending on the setup, should be different for each and every car, in any event, it should help greatly with your 60 foot. As I am newer to this particular scene, I wanted to make that the stock TQ converter will do it's job and not a few month later I will have replace it.
Old 08-22-06, 01:26 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A 3200 TQ converter should not alter the ride of your car in anyway. In theory, it will help you to spool up a lot better before launching, but should effect anything else. Depending on the setup, should be different for each and every car, in any event, it should help greatly with your 60 foot. As I am newer to this particular scene, I wanted to make that the stock TQ converter will do it's job and not a few month later I will have replace it.
I'm still trying to figure out which stall will be best cuz the labor charge on taking those back in and out can add up. But to answer your concern the stock one will hold up fine, I 've had mine mine since last Sept. no issues.
Old 08-23-06, 02:48 AM
fhumphrey04
Driver

Wow that is going to be a wild project!

Just a question, but why go with alpine type r's? With the money you are investing on everything else I would think you'd want a better sub that is newer/sounds better. Dont get me wrong, I had 2 12" R's back in the day when they were new both being powered by their own mrd-m500, which in theory is what you are going to have. They were nice, good power and all but for the money a single JL W6v2 powered by just one 500 watt JL amp will be louder and sound much nicer.

I dont know if you have ordered all the stereo stuff already but if you havent you should atleast consider some other options. PM me if you want any advice and good luck on the build!
Old 08-23-06, 04:31 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Honestly, stereo isn't my strong point. Alpine has been my preference for brand name since I started to mess around with cars, therefore I stayed with something that I am a little more comfortable with. Also, which I am in process of building a car, I tend to like to stick with the same brand name as much as possible. I already have all the stereo related items installed in the car, otherwise I would take anyone's advise on what to get, but I am happy with the way it sounds, hits hard when it's loud, and looks pretty good at the same time!

So, as of right now, the only completed item on the car is the stereo.

Thank you very much for the suggestion though!!!!! I would have liked a JL W7, seems that's what a lot of other people's choice of subs.

Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
Wow that is going to be a wild project!

Just a question, but why go with alpine type r's? With the money you are investing on everything else I would think you'd want a better sub that is newer/sounds better. Dont get me wrong, I had 2 12" R's back in the day when they were new both being powered by their own mrd-m500, which in theory is what you are going to have. They were nice, good power and all but for the money a single JL W6v2 powered by just one 500 watt JL amp will be louder and sound much nicer.

I dont know if you have ordered all the stereo stuff already but if you havent you should atleast consider some other options. PM me if you want any advice and good luck on the build!
Old 08-23-06, 04:32 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
lol yes thats my gs in my sig what days are you there at your shop ?? and whats your name so i know who to ask for when i stop by .......shawn
Shawn, I will PM you with info.

Thanks
Old 08-23-06, 06:58 AM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Very nice, I must say you are gonna have one bad_ss ride. Wish I had the funds for everything all at once.

Quick Reply: The begininng of my GS300 project!