GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wing removal questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 10:04 AM
lexi4darin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing removal questions...

Hey guys.

Tried searching last night for details about removing a wing from a GS430. I found some good details and just wanted to confirm what I found ... and also see if others are doing this.

1) Removal of the wing will not leave any holes in the body of the car.
2) There is no noticable difference between the deck-lid without a rear wing and the decklid with a rear wing removed (while trunk is in closed position)
3) Third brake lighting becomes an issue after removal of rear wing.
options for fixing this problem include :
- adding another wing of any type that contains third light
- adding third brake light to interior of car (of which I found no details as to how easy this is or how much money)

Am I right with 3 statements above and has anyone actually done this? If I do remove a rear wing, I'd like to be assured that it doesn't leave visible marks on the car (holes, braket mounts, etc.) that can be seen on the trunk (when the trunk is closed). And also I'd like to hear or be guided to 3rd brake light options, how to's, and costs.

Thanks guys. This forum is by far the best!
Old 08-22-06, 11:00 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure there will be holes in your trunk lid.

one way is to find someone with the same color w/no spoiler that wants to trade.
Old 08-22-06, 11:25 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for the trade option, you'll still have the third brake light problem though
Old 08-22-06, 12:34 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I'm pretty sure there will be holes in your trunk lid.
I am not sure how else it would be mounted??? Doesn't BananaGS have a DIY on this??

Jonny
Old 08-22-06, 02:51 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Well, that's what I've been trying to figure out. Does it or does it not leave wholes in the deck lid.

From what I was reading, I was seeing that it leaves holes but the holes are in the side of the trunk? And I wasn't sure if it was visible when the trunk was closed.

Anyway, bummer deal. I was hoping these were mounted with the usual double-sided-sticky-tape!
Old 08-23-06, 05:35 PM
owali
Driver

There ARE holes in the trunk
Old 08-24-06, 09:43 AM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you remove the four bolts on the sides, youll see four more on the top of the trunk lid. also looks like a fifth for the wires. So there are holes. I just checked this out myself 3 days ago.
Old 08-24-06, 10:04 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EFMJR
Once you remove the four bolts on the sides, youll see four more on the top of the trunk lid. also looks like a fifth for the wires. So there are holes. I just checked this out myself 3 days ago.
This is correct, you will have five holes in your trunk lid. four mounting and a fifth for the brake light.

-Bill
Old 08-24-06, 10:38 AM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Isnt there something also that if you remove your spoiler, your brake light failure indicator will come on because of the change of resistance?

As far as the hole, you can just put some of those bullet hole stickers on to cover the holes Thats what the guy did to the 66 chevy truck I had bought. Looked like it got attacked by a machine gun. Good thing it was all primered.
Old 08-24-06, 11:01 AM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

when i removed my wing to see how it looks.. i just took 4 bolts off and lifted the wing up off the trunk lid and cut the wire for the spoiler light. and done. third brake light works like normal. but the wire retracted into the spoiler... so becareful!
Old 08-25-06, 09:42 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

So guys, if removing the rear wing isnt practical, how hard/easy is doing a decklid swap and installing the 3rd brake light?

Has anyone done this?
Old 06-08-09, 08:41 AM
Haliwood23
Driver School Candidate

Did you end up removing the rear wing? I am curious how it goes as I am interested in removing the wing on my '01 ES. Thanks for any reports.

Jeff
Old 06-08-09, 05:51 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

When you remove the spoiler "OEM" don't be surprise as there are 7 holes under the spoiler.
Mines didn't have any issue with the 3rd brake light at all.
GL
Old 10-28-09, 11:35 AM
RUSSOM
Driver

Before I end up with a trip to the body shop to fix a screw up and because I've seen a lot of different answers here can anyone answer defenitivly the following questions or add comments? My car is a 1999 GS400 with the factory rear wing which includes the factory strip LED 3rd brake light.
1) I'm not concerned about losing my 3rd brake light and as long as it won't display a warning light on my dash I will not reinstall any kind of 3rd brake light in its abscence.
2) Exactly how many holes will be exposed after removing the factory rear wing?
3) I pulled the little screw covers off of the sides, they are held in by adhesive only and exposed a black bracket and 4 socket/phillips head screws. I removed the screws and this thing doesn't budge. I can't see what else is holding it in place at this time.
4) My thought is to use a lubricant, probably WD40, and some durable fishing line and work my way under this bracket. Will I get caught on some fasteners under there?

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to your replies.
Old 10-28-09, 05:45 PM
bukbuk
Rookie

Default OEM spoiler

I took the spoiler off my 2000 gs400 about a year ago.

here are answers to some of your questions,
THERE ARE HOLES, 5 of them! 4ea for the bracket and 1ea for the wire.

the 3rd brake light on the rear deck, still works, however there is an indication on the dash, like a bulb is out.

the trunk looks so much nicer without the spoiler, also the irratating vibration from the spoiler is gone, and the trunk pops fully open now.

its kind of ghetto but i just used some small round black vinyl stickers to cover, my car is onyx black. i did have to polish the entire trunk after removing the spoiler.

Quick Reply: Wing removal questions...