GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Painting the bumper/hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 02:35 AM
luciano
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Painting the bumper/hood

Well, I was down in miami for awhile.. damn hotel valet crashed my car into a wall so the bumper needs to be repainted ( at their cost) Im thinking of doing the hood as well because of all the stone chips over the years... how much should this run me ? and how will the paint match... car is 98 gs4 with onyx black paint. Also was thinking of getting the clear bra, where can I get my hands on that?
Old 08-26-06, 08:02 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Luckily you have a color thats easy to match, as long as its not faded, which I doubt it is. If the car were a different color, like silver, it would be more difficult. The correct way to do it is to have it blended in with other parts of the car to get the correct color match. For instance, if you wanted you bumper and your hood painted, they would blend it in with the front fenders as well. With black you should be able to get away with just painting the bumper and hood and have it match. As far as the cost goes, this will vary alot by the quality of shop. I would say that a good shop will charge roughly a grand for the hood and bumper.
Old 08-26-06, 09:28 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
Luckily you have a color thats easy to match, as long as its not faded, which I doubt it is. If the car were a different color, like silver, it would be more difficult. The correct way to do it is to have it blended in with other parts of the car to get the correct color match. For instance, if you wanted you bumper and your hood painted, they would blend it in with the front fenders as well. With black you should be able to get away with just painting the bumper and hood and have it match. As far as the cost goes, this will vary alot by the quality of shop. I would say that a good shop will charge roughly a grand for the hood and bumper.

He basically said what I would have said, I recently rerpainted my front end and had the shop blend it in with my front 1/4s' for a 100% match. Cars with any typ of pearl usually do this for the perfect match other wise most times in different lights or in the sun you can see the difference in color match even if its subtle you can still see it. I paid something like 800.00 to redo my front end in Orlando. Are you repainting it here in FL or where you live? The same is actually done all over the car to make it match right like if you have a big dent in your side door the right way is to blend it in with the other door and 1/4.
Old 08-26-06, 11:18 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so when they blend it with the fenders, do they spray over the factory paint on fenders and the re-clear coat the whole fender?
Old 08-26-06, 01:43 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes........think of it like this, if you just paint a front fender and stop at the drivers door, it is way easier to tell the difference in color between the two panels that mate up if the color is off slightly. When they blend it in, they would paint the front fender and into the drivers door, gradually tapering it off. When doing this, the color change isnt as dramatic, and you dont notice any slight differences. Hopefully this makes sense, I know what IM thinking, but I may not be translating it correctly.