GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Window Tinting And The Law

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 10:08 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Tinting And The Law

Got a call from a friend of mine who herself owns a GS300 and said that while she was stopped at a traffic light, a cop who was next to her had her roll the window down and told her that the front window tint was too dark. The cop let her slide but said that she could face a $50 ticket if not removed. Unlike hers, my front tint is much darker just like many, many others I see driving around. I've driven neck and neck with cops, passed right by them and have not been pulled over. I believed that you must cause some sort of traffic violation to be pulled over and then ticketed for having the tints too dark. Also I feel that it could be the individual cop themself that could be having a bad day and feels the need to take it out on motorists. Even though the laws are there for tinting, just like some other laws, is it even enforced? Maybe the enforcement depends on where you live. Her inspection is up in two weeks so she'll be removing them anyway. She's not sure if she'll put them back on after passing inspection.
Old 08-28-06, 10:35 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Got a call from a friend of mine who herself owns a GS300 and said that while she was stopped at a traffic light, a cop who was next to her had her roll the window down and told her that the front window tint was too dark. The cop let her slide but said that she could face a $50 ticket if not removed. Unlike hers, my front tint is much darker just like many, many others I see driving around. I've driven neck and neck with cops, passed right by them and have not been pulled over. I believed that you must cause some sort of traffic violation to be pulled over and then ticketed for having the tints too dark. Also I feel that it could be the individual cop themself that could be having a bad day and feels the need to take it out on motorists. Even though the laws are there for tinting, just like some other laws, is it even enforced? Maybe the enforcement depends on where you live. Her inspection is up in two weeks so she'll be removing them anyway. She's not sure if she'll put them back on after passing inspection.
Some of your statement is true and some is not? Front window tint is illeagal in most states if not all below the AS1 line! If she had her front window tinted all the way down, she was given a break that she din't get a ticket! Officer's have the ability to enforce the law at their own discretion within the law! Some officer's just like any other profession have things that they like or don't like and it was fortunate for her that the officer gave a her the courtesy to tell her rather than write her! I wouldn't put the tint pass the AS1 line if I were you, which would alleviate a lot of negative attention to your car? It's a safety issue for you and for the officer(espeacially on the entire front windshield)! I know it looks cool, but it's unsafe for driving( at night) and attracts officer's to look at your car as your passing in the opposite direction! A traffic stop can be conducted on window tint alone, in most states!

Last edited by Wringo; 08-28-06 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-28-06, 11:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Too many folks getting tickets for tints. I say go to traffic court, and roll the dice on the cop not showing up. Traffic court cases are "he said she said" situations unlike trial court. If the cop does not show up, the ticket may be tossed I'm sure the cop would have to much on his plate to show up for a 50 dollar tint ticket.
Old 08-28-06, 02:48 PM
tonysofly
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 5% tint all the way around on my car....texas only allows 35% in the front two windows.....you gotta pay to play!

(i roll my front two windows down when i see a cop, and if it's raining, he probably won't wanna get outta his car to write you a ticket for tint anyways)
Old 08-28-06, 04:29 PM
Mattress
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tonysofly
i have 5% tint all the way around on my car....texas only allows 35% in the front two windows.....you gotta pay to play!

(i roll my front two windows down when i see a cop, and if it's raining, he probably won't wanna get outta his car to write you a ticket for tint anyways)
exactly like me... oklahoma, i think its 35 as well, but my 5% keeps me doin my bad....

f*** the law on that
Old 08-28-06, 07:06 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wringo
Some of your statement is true and some is not? Front window tint is illeagal in most states if not all below the AS1 line! If she had her front window tinted all the way down, she was given a break that she din't get a ticket! Officer's have the ability to enforce the law at their own discretion within the law! Some officer's just like any other profession have things that they like or don't like and it was fortunate for her that the officer gave a her the courtesy to tell her rather than write her! I wouldn't put the tint pass the AS1 line if I were you, which would alleviate a lot of negative attention to your car? It's a safety issue for you and for the officer(espeacially on the entire front windshield)! I know it looks cool, but it's unsafe for driving( at night) and attracts officer's to look at your car as your passing in the opposite direction! A traffic stop can be conducted on window tint alone, in most states!

I don't know what you mean by "unsafe for driving at night". If it's vision that your talking about then for me, it's not an issue since I have perfect eye vision and no need for glasses. Any officer atrracted to my car was done so because my GS just looks nice . If anything, the attention is positive not negative. I'm keeping my tints as is. I feel as long as I don't get caught for a traffic violation (i.e speeding) then I'm good to go.
Old 08-29-06, 05:03 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My bad!!

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I don't know what you mean by "unsafe for driving at night". If it's vision that your talking about then for me, it's not an issue since I have perfect eye vision and no need for glasses. Any officer atrracted to my car was done so because my GS just looks nice . If anything, the attention is positive not negative. I'm keeping my tints as is. I feel as long as I don't get caught for a traffic violation (i.e speeding) then I'm good to go.
I misread your post and thought you were referring to the front windshield when you talked about the front window! I have 15% all around on my car and have not had a problem!
Old 08-29-06, 09:23 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wringo
I misread your post and thought you were referring to the front windshield when you talked about the front window! I have 15% all around on my car and have not had a problem!
Wringo, tinting the front windshield was not an option for me. Although I had mentioned it to the guy who did my window tinting he said that he doesn't tint windshields. But my friend who I mentioned in the top of the thread had no tint on her front windshield. It was just all her door windows and rear but not as dark. Although it hasn't happened to me (at least not yet), I wanted to know if police pulling you over for dark tints was common or not.
Old 08-29-06, 09:31 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's becoming much more common in recent days. More states are changing their laws so that illegal tints is an offense you can be pulled over for without breaking any other laws. I think DE has similar laws to NY where 70% of light must pass through the tint film and window.
Old 08-29-06, 10:34 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

I just got my first ticket for tint 2 weeks ago after I left the movies with my girl. Its a $75 ticket, and he measured the tint and came up with 6% I got away with it a few times, but this guy looked like the guy from Green Mile, and he was not very forgiving, rather rude actually! Not a big deal, Im glad that he didnt cut my tint since they can do that now!
Old 08-29-06, 10:52 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its weird to hear some of you guys talk about taking tint off for inspections.. i live in upstate ny, almost all tint is illegal on the front windows here too, has to be 70% or lighter and mine is 20%, its illegal for sure, but ive had the car inspected twice with the tint on and it never failed... ive never heard of any place actually including the window tint as part of the standard inspection and that you could fail for something like that..inspections here include stuff like emissions, lights, seatbelts, airbags, brakes, etc. etc. etc... never has the tint come up as an issue...maybe its different in NY then other states, that really sucks for you guys!
Old 08-29-06, 12:34 PM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

Angry Window tint laws

Well me and my brother are having the same problem with tint on all of the cars we own. We have a total of 7 cars and all of them have 15% tint all around (no front windshield). In north carolina it use to be that your car would not pass the state inspection if your windows were too dark. The law is 35-32%, But we had a way around it. Well now it is to the point were you got cops pulling peolpe over for dark tint. What I like to know is why are they going to start inforcing this law. The only thing I hear is well the cops need to be able so see in your car blah blah blah. To me if a cop pulls me over
the first thing I do when I see the lights is roll the windows down and open the sunroof if its not raining. If he wants to look in side all he needs to do is ask I will step out and he can look through the car. Hell I see cop cars with 5% tint or darker lets be fair. If I can not have dark tint on my car then why should they get to. I just want to stay out of the sun. The morral of the story is now I have to find an inspector that will feel conftabe with me and take my money, and forget that my windows are a little darker then they should.
Old 08-29-06, 07:52 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I used to live in NY and my car did not have the front windows tinted as dark as they are now. I guess it all depends where you live. In regards to inspections, I failed an inspection just because I had hood washer lights. And what's bad is I tried to conceal them with electrical tape but was caught. So if they failed me for the lights, then rolling into an inspection with front windows tinted is just asking for a fail. That's why guys like me are forced to remove the tints when inspection comes around. Like I said, it probably all depends where you live. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and insights. I'll share this with my friend and try to get him to join Club Lexus..

THANX
Old 08-30-06, 06:31 AM
1wickedgs
Driver

You need a friend in law enforcement I got 2 tint tickets and 1 no front plate ticket had them wrote off cost $10 each time, it all who you know too. Still no front Plate and tint
Attached Thumbnails Window Tinting And The Law-02-15-06_1709.jpg  
Old 09-12-06, 05:19 PM
CRSO
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default here's the deal with tint...

from someone that used to own a ''shady business'' tinting windows.

Cops are people that do what they want when they want and some have hard ons for tinted windows.

Some states need 70 percent light to show through to comply, others allow less and some none on the front (like Jersey).

If a cop sees a car with tints and has nothing to do and is pissed off at something, he may pull you over for thehell of it. You always take a chance.

Tickets in certain states i've seen upwards of 300.00! (MA)

This is the best way to make your car look classy and hide yourself from others without limoing out your windows:

40% on sides and front (yes front, i'll explain) and 15% or 8% in the rear window.
The back window will make the cabin dark, especially on the GS and the sides and windshield will supplement. The windshield will almost NEVER be noticed by a cop. He will be focused on the sides because that's where a gun may be hiding (one reason for the laws). The windshield is coated to throw off anyone looking at it for tint anyway.

The 8% or 5% rear / 40% is a perfect balance between a classy look and law compliance. Besides, too dark of a tint throws off the look also. This is coming from a kid that spraypainted his windows on his older cars.

With the 40 on the sides, you shouldn't have a problem until inspection time. Just take it to a place where you can throw the guy a few bucks and call it a day. Be cool and makesure you can let him know you're not a copper. Keep checking stations until you find one...

If you live in Jersey, contact me and i'll send you somewhere that's guaranteed to pass.