GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Goodbye 2GS, hello . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 02:42 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Goodbye 2GS, hello . . .

. . . 3GS. Well, at least for a day or two. Nice car.
Attached Thumbnails Goodbye 2GS, hello . . .-dscn6635-resized-.jpg  
Old 08-30-06, 02:44 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Camry
Old 08-30-06, 03:46 PM
mostrogt
Pole Position

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

The Camry thing just killed me......
Old 08-30-06, 03:56 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Nice Camry
you mean nice maxima
Old 08-30-06, 04:14 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Man, you guys are brutal. Just brutal. I hope our friends from over on the 3GS forum don't come over for to visit. They'd be insulted.

Honestly, though, it's a nice car, a very nice car, but that's about it. For $45k+, I would have expected more. At the very least (and I know this topic has been discussed to death), this car should have had, no, this car deserved, the 3.5. I test drove the Avalon when it first came out, and there's no comparison between that car and the 3GS300 in terms of power/acceleration. The word that comes to mind as best describing the feel is "anemic." But then again, coming from a GS400, maybe my perspective is a bit skewed. Aside from the sluggish acceleration, though, the car is very comfortable and quiet and has a very nice solid feel to it.
Old 08-30-06, 04:15 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i kinda feel like lexus missed the mark with the 3rd gen gs... especially with that scion TC like bumper.

the 07 camry is pretty hot though...
Old 08-30-06, 04:52 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Nice Camry
Originally Posted by lexforlife
you mean nice maxima

just wait untill 1Sick gets here, you guys are in trouble.........

e-the suspense was killing me until I opened thread. I thought you really did give up.
Old 08-30-06, 05:15 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why you guys ******* the 3GS? Do I feel a streak of jealousy running down your backs? No one is ******* the 2GS.....but I could. Bug eyed bubble shaped......JK guys. Hehe.

Seriously though, I wasn't a big fan of the 3GS and I still don't like the front end too much. I also didn't think it was worth the money. Then my wife talked me into getting one for her. Let me tell you, it's one sweet car. After a few weeks, it hooks you. After a month it seduces you. After that, you're gone. It's in the shop now after the accident and we miss it badly. I don't consider 245hp anemic but to each his own. The car has enough power to get the job done. But it's a luxury car, not a sports car. Why the heck is everyone always talking about how fast it goes. I don't get it.
Old 08-30-06, 05:18 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Why you guys ******* the 3GS? Do I feel a streak of jealousy running down your backs? No one is ******* the 2GS.....but I could. Bug eyed bubble shaped......JK guys. Hehe.

Seriously though, I wasn't a big fan of the 3GS and I still don't like the front end too much. I also didn't think it was worth the money. Then my wife talked me into getting one for her. Let me tell you, it's one sweet car. After a few weeks, it hooks you. After a month it seduces you. After that, you're gone. It's in the shop now after the accident and we miss it badly. I don't consider 245hp anemic but to each his own. The car has enough power to get the job done. But it's a luxury car, not a sports car. Why the heck is everyone always talking about how fast it goes. I don't get it.
hey reg i agree its starting to grow on me

off topic how about the whoop *** raquet ball this sun morning i need to talk to u about some workforce one issues
Old 08-30-06, 05:26 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by reggiek
Same here, I didnt like it initially either, but its really grown on me. I like the proportions of the car, it has a lot of "tension"
Old 08-30-06, 05:56 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Don't get me wrong. I'm not ******* the 3GS at all. When I first got in it this afternoon, I said to myself "This is definitely my next car." I like it. I really like it a lot. It's incredibly comfortable and I find the proportions just right in terms of front seat space, back seat space, trunk, etc. And, unlike others, I happen to think the styling is really sharp. Sure, the trunk lid somewhat resembles a hatch, but so what. It looks nice. And, as for the power, I know that it's not all about how fast you can go, however, the car does feel a tad sluggish under WOT. Under all other conditions, however, it feels great. And, with AWD, it will leave a lot of us 2GS'ers stranded on the side of the road come winter time. Pop the 3.5 in there, and you have a near-perfect car in my opinion. I have never driven a 3GS430, but I have to believe that it feels great. And as for the 4.6 replacing the 4.3, no big deal. So the car will be upgraded from fast to really fast? I just think that Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for introducing this car with the 3.0 when the 3.5 was available and already being used in the Avalon. Now that I've driven both the Avalon and the 3GS300, I feel that move was really not the right thing to do.
Old 08-30-06, 06:18 PM
LoseOn22s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexforlife
you mean nice maxima
the new maxima doesn't look anything like that and has smoother curves. anyways the 3rd gen gs's are sweet!
Old 08-30-06, 07:20 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I have always liked the 3rd Gen GS. Check the old polls, I was one of a handful that voted Never drove one but it looks great.
Old 08-30-06, 07:32 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default please!

new maxima??? come on, the 3gs isn't anywhere in the category of that junk. The maxima is not built well, and just wishy washy. I have plenty of seat time in new maxima, and the gs crushes any doubt.
Old 08-30-06, 07:36 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A modded 3GS with 20s and lowered looks pretty damn good to me. A stock 2GS doesn't look all that hot to me either, especially with those bicycle wheel 16s that came on my poor car.

I like the interior of the 3GS, except the fact that there's no dome light. WTF? Mood lighting is great but not enough... And the rear seat is still not large enough, IMO....

...and that trunk openning is deplorable.

Quick Reply: Goodbye 2GS, hello . . .