GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Re-post ML Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-01, 10:52 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-post ML Problems

I posted this under electronics, but since this is a GS problem, I am hoping mis compadres can help me out.

My GS430 has just about 3K miles on it and today I am driving down the road and a crackling noise comes over my ML stereo speakers (almost like static) and all of a sudden, nothing...NO sound coming out of any speakers. I thought it was maybe a radio station drift or something, but after surfing through all of the channels, no noise was to be heard. To confirm it was not just my imagination, I changed to the CD, looked at the track time clock, and it was running, with a CD in, but no sound.

I figured maybe if I shut the car off, and let it go through its diagnostics on start, that it would resolve itself, but to no avail. The radio used to come on right away with immediate sound if it was left on when I shut the car off. Now there is no sound at all. Then intermittently, the sound will come back, then the crackling will return, and the sound disappears. Turning the radio on and off does not fix.

Can anyone help - any like experiences?

Is there a short or loose wire, or maybe a bad amp?

Nav seems to work, but I can't determine whether the voice aspect of it is working consistently or not.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-13-01, 11:00 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

I heard there was a fix for the ML blasting the sound to loud when you just turn on the car. But you say you do not have sound. Best to check with Lexus Dealer.
Old 11-07-01, 10:44 AM
gsexploits
Driver

Default Levinson Amp issue

took it to the Lexus dealer and had the ML amp replaced. Problem solved. It concerns me that the ML amp failed after only a few months of use. It further concerns that a prior post states the amp is not adequately cooled. If this is the case, then it is likely that it will fail again.

Manaray, if you read this, you had ML problems that you were going to pull the thing out at Lexus' expense. Did you experience numerous ML amp problems - has anyone else?
Old 11-07-01, 10:59 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TC,

of the 4 cl guys' gs430 with ML that i know, this is the first time that i heard of the problem.... :eek: hopefully others would contribute their experience...
Old 11-07-01, 11:46 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Blew me out.....

once when I had had the GS for about a month.......none since. Have read with interest the posts from other 430 w/ML owners and will mention it to service guys next time around.

Haven't heard of GSEx's problem. Sounds like loose wire to power supply, though.
Old 11-07-01, 09:56 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Does anyone know where this amp is located? In the trunk; one of the doorsl under a seat? Any chance of bumping into the amp and causing loose wire issues, or disconnects. If I know where it is, then I can take extra pre-cautions when working in the area.

Thanks for the posts.
Old 11-08-01, 06:04 AM
KRSims
Driver School Candidate

gsexploits,

I've had my ML for a little over a month now, with no problems.

Just curious how hard you run the system?

Most amps will generate heat when stressed, so maybe there's some magic level where the ML just can't take it anymore and dies. I doubt if the amp is shorting itself out, because that would take out the CD player and equalizer as well.

Hope the new amp keeps the tunes jumping for you.

Kirk
Old 11-08-01, 08:23 AM
TMitchell
Driver

I have had mine since Feb. and have 7,000 miles on it, with no ML problem.
Old 11-08-01, 07:16 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gsexploits
Does anyone know where this amp is located? In the trunk; one of the doorsl under a seat? Any chance of bumping into the amp and causing loose wire issues, or disconnects...
It's in the trunk. Open the trunk and lift the mat and wood cover over the spare. Look in the far right in the empty space in the right quarter panel behind the rear wheel.