GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

whats up everybody??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06 | 01:24 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Default whats up everybody??

Hello I just got a hold of a GS400, had to drive it 1300 miles from Texas to home. Anyway It gave me a good chance to get a real good feel for the car. I went from a BMW to this, and I must say I am pretty happy with it. Interior is pretty nice, but most of all I like the clean look and body lines of the exterior.

Im really liking the power I am getting from the car as well, should run even better once I get all the maintenance done that the prev owner didnt get to.

Anyway Its pretty much stock, from what I can tell. Only obvious mods are Wheels and a momo sub in the back, I also think It has a roof spoiler

I still have a lot of searching and reading to do, but I was just wondering, what are the some things I should look into/check out, that will help me with this car, like any common problems, or necessary mods

Right now I have in mind to replace:

headlights: they are kind of yellowed (I read that Plastix could help me out some, so I will try that out first) But I like the look of the green tinted ones, as mine are clear. So unless they get a lot clear, I think they are gonna get replaced.

Fogs: they are kind of pitted. Would plastix or some other kind of polish work on these. because they seem to be glass from the quick glances I have taken. they are the clear lens but yellow output ones, not sure if I like the yellow look, better than clear.

Tailights: I like the look of the 01+ (I believe) I have put these on my list.

anyway I have more things in mind, but these are the immediate things I could come up with on my own.

Another thing, what are the most popular, and best sponsors for a lot of our parts?

Thanks in advance for your time and any help guys

Last edited by DonJuan45i; 09-04-06 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-04-06 | 07:16 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Welcome to CL!! Maintenance would be the first thing to get done to ensure the GS is as it should be. Headlights are an issue, either they yellow or collect moisture. Suspension is another complaint by many, most GS's can use a little stiffening up and lowering. The '01+ tails are a very popular mod. The list can go on and on, it all depends on how deep the pockets are.
Old 09-04-06 | 11:16 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

thanks for the reply, are a lot of things on our cars very DIY or is it pretty much the sort of monopoly where you need to take it into the dealer to get everything done, or at least any indicators reset (the case with BMW). I used to do pretty much all my regular maintenance and common repairs on my bimmer.

I need to get my brakes done, might need new rotors, but brake pads definately, got to go.

Also in the front left side, the car makes a small tinker/rattle noise when the wheel hits a bump, any ideas?

Car might not need too much, but I would rather get it done, to have that feeling that I got it done and done right. I dont want to ask too many questions as there exists a search option lol.
Old 09-04-06 | 11:57 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Just wondering, cant seem to find answer to this....Are the green tinted ones also plastic, or are they glass? Same question for the fogs, are they plastic or glass?
Old 09-04-06 | 12:25 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

welcome and congrats. the green headlights are plastic aswell.
Old 09-04-06 | 04:21 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Welcome to the CL family
Old 09-04-06 | 07:09 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, eager to learn all about this car. Its wierd, I knew my bimmer just about like the back of my hand today I changed out some dim bulbs in the tailights, and everything is just so different.

I noticed the previous owner had removed the original sub that goes in the back (in order to fit in the sub in there now I think), BUT I am removing the home built uncarpeted box with sub, its unsightly.

My car has nakamichi sound, is the OEM sub worth replacing, or just leave as is? I have 2 alpine 12's which I plan to put in, but sometimes when i am not in the mood to thump around, I like to turn off the amp and enjoy the quiet ride. but I would always like at least some bass, so is the oem sub a vital part of the oem sound?

I also polished all lamps head/tail with Plastix, seemed to make an improvement, mainly it reduced amount of swirls.

I got a good look, and I think I am going to replace the fogs first, still I can decide to go for clear or stay with yellow. Is one more sought/expensive than the other? any aftermarket prokector fogs?

also anybody have a clue as to what is the cause of the tinker/rattle noise that comes from when my front left wheel hits a bump/road imperfection?? sounds like something is loose or broken, but the car drives fine, ride is smooth and doesnt seem to be like a ball joint or anything, could be wrong tho, car also seems to creak a little. I would like to get these things taken care of asap. Thanks again all -DonJuan
Old 09-04-06 | 09:42 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Congrats on the new car, another trick I used to do on the headlights was 3M handglaze, followed by wax it really made them look nice.

Post pics of the car when you can.
Old 09-05-06 | 07:56 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
My car has nakamichi sound, is the OEM sub worth replacing, or just leave as is? I have 2 alpine 12's which I plan to put in, but sometimes when i am not in the mood to thump around, I like to turn off the amp and enjoy the quiet ride. but I would always like at least some bass, so is the oem sub a vital part of the oem sound?

also anybody have a clue as to what is the cause of the tinker/rattle noise that comes from when my front left wheel hits a bump/road imperfection?? sounds like something is loose or broken, but the car drives fine, ride is smooth and doesnt seem to be like a ball joint or anything, could be wrong tho, car also seems to creak a little. I would like to get these things taken care of asap. Thanks again all -DonJuan
I can't speak for the Nak stereo but the OEM sub for the ML unit is decent, not a true thumper but good enough for me. I would like to think that you could put one of your subs in it's place until you get your box made. You mentioned brakes are in need of attention, I wouldn't be surprised if after the brakes are done that rattle from the front is gone. Creaking is a sign of dried out bushings, you might want to have them looked at.
Old 09-05-06 | 09:24 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Default =)

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
Hello I just got a hold of a GS400, had to drive it 1300 miles from Texas to home. Anyway It gave me a good chance to get a real good feel for the car. I went from a BMW to this, and I must say I am pretty happy with it. Interior is pretty nice, but most of all I like the clean look and body lines of the exterior.

Im really liking the power I am getting from the car as well, should run even better once I get all the maintenance done that the prev owner didnt get to.

Anyway Its pretty much stock, from what I can tell. Only obvious mods are Wheels and a momo sub in the back, I also think It has a roof spoiler

I still have a lot of searching and reading to do, but I was just wondering, what are the some things I should look into/check out, that will help me with this car, like any common problems, or necessary mods

Right now I have in mind to replace:

headlights: they are kind of yellowed (I read that Plastix could help me out some, so I will try that out first) But I like the look of the green tinted ones, as mine are clear. So unless they get a lot clear, I think they are gonna get replaced.

Fogs: they are kind of pitted. Would plastix or some other kind of polish work on these. because they seem to be glass from the quick glances I have taken. they are the clear lens but yellow output ones, not sure if I like the yellow look, better than clear.

Tailights: I like the look of the 01+ (I believe) I have put these on my list.

anyway I have more things in mind, but these are the immediate things I could come up with on my own.

Another thing, what are the most popular, and best sponsors for a lot of our parts?

Thanks in advance for your time and any help guys
Welcome Welcome. Good luck man!
Old 09-05-06 | 09:30 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

welcome
Old 09-06-06 | 03:14 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

whats better out of Mark Levinson and Nakamichi? And what are the major differences?

I searched and I found a thread where another member had creaking, He said that when he applied WD-40 to the bushings the creaking was reduced significantly. So I am pretty sure that the bushings are the cause of the creaking. Anyone know if the bushings themselves can be replaced rather than buying the whole assembly?

I figured the creaking would be due to either the springs or somekind of bushing, but I still dont know what the tinker noise or rattle is coming from, I know its from the front right wheel area. Its pretty loud from outside the car, but not very from the cabin. I have heard it before on some cars when I was next to them.

If I can remeber right, I think our 740i made the same noise, and it was caused by the little clip that goes on the breaks. $15 and 30min and it was gone. Anybody else have had this rattle?

Thanks,

-DonJuan