GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is Lexus Lying to us?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 01:52 AM
V8Lexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rominl, ah THAT ecu reset lol i thought it was something specifically about lexus that people were doing. i remember the neg battery cable trick, doesnt that affect gas mileage though for a tankful or two until the ecu "learns" in which case you start to lose the effects of the initial reset?
Old 09-10-06, 01:58 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

I just got my gs400, and it already seems pretty quick, so if I disconnect my neg cable from battery for 30min to reset the ecu, I could feel a difference in car's response? Depending on how the car was driven by previous owner? Makes sense, but is that all it takes to reset the ECU? Man I hope that previous owner really babied the car, it already seems pretty quick, so I doubt I will feel a difference.

But anyway, at the numbers that are posted above, why are the earlier GS' faster than the later model ones?
Old 09-10-06, 02:39 AM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

I dogged an SL500 off the line when he was trying to pass me up at a stop light by taking it (or at least trying to) from the right turning lane. Although it felt great that he DIDN'T get me I wasnt too enthused when he hit my car's bumper on the rear right. he didnt have enough room when the lanes merged and ended up hitting me instead of hitting the bridge. HA. Well anyhoo my GS400 is not 6.3 at 0-60. I have had it timed and have done 5.7-6.1. Sometimes with someone in the car, junk in my trunk (no pun intended) or a full tank of gas. Don't give up on your car yet, she'll be discouraged. Have faith in our lil' ladies.
Old 09-10-06, 05:35 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
no, still stay in auto, but it's about how much you press on the gas and how soon you do that. timing is the "key" here imho. you just have to press it "earlier" and also "harder", but not overly done otherwise the car jump forward too soon and too fast
Why would it be bad if the car jumps forward too soon and too fast? So long as the tires are not spinning in one place, jumping forward too soon and too fast = better acceleration. What am I not getting here Rom?
Old 09-10-06, 06:28 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Why would it be bad if the car jumps forward too soon and too fast? So long as the tires are not spinning in one place, jumping forward too soon and too fast = better acceleration. What am I not getting here Rom?
hi hameed,
what henry is explaining is the way a 430 driver has to adapt to the dbw throttle. like he said, you have to push the pedal earlier and farther than many would expect to get to the grunt. obviously though, you don't always want a huge burst of power half way through a turn. let's say your going around a slow turn and you wan't to gas it so the car downshifts and pulls out of the turn. you actually have to hit the gas pretty hard while still rounding the turn just so the car will downshift and pull at the right time.

it really does take a while to master the 430's shifting and powerband, but once you do it's no problem.
Old 09-10-06, 07:30 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
hi hameed,
what henry is explaining is the way a 430 driver has to adapt to the dbw throttle. like he said, you have to push the pedal earlier and farther than many would expect to get to the grunt. obviously though, you don't always want a huge burst of power half way through a turn. let's say your going around a slow turn and you wan't to gas it so the car downshifts and pulls out of the turn. you actually have to hit the gas pretty hard while still rounding the turn just so the car will downshift and pull at the right time.

it really does take a while to master the 430's shifting and powerband, but once you do it's no problem.

I thought this was about 0 - 60 times, what is the best technique for accelerating from a stop?
Old 09-10-06, 08:05 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasLex
I thought this was about 0 - 60 times, what is the best technique for accelerating from a stop?
powerbrake and release, in D. sometimes if the powerband flattens out a little before the car shifts it's actually a little faster to let off just enough so the car will shift and then mash it again.
Old 09-10-06, 09:34 AM
LexFather

Lexus has always been accurate or UNDERRATED its performance claims. We are all very well aware the GS 430 was claimed by Lexus to do 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, a tick behind the GS 400. 1/4 mile times are near identical as well.

I would know, I have now owned both
Old 09-10-06, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hameed, what chuck said is pretty much what i meant. it's not bad for the car itself, but it could be a problem on driving. the cornering one is an issue, and also if you want to cut to the lane beside you fast, you haev to time it well so the car from behind (in the next lane) don't hit you, but also you don't gas it too much and too soon that you hit the car in front of you in the current lane.

trust me, been there, done that a bit "frustrating" in the beginning considering that i have been driving my gs400 for so long, but once you learn it it's not too bad
Old 09-10-06, 02:46 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With the mods some of you guys have, that 5.7 0-60 time should dip even further
Old 09-10-06, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
With the mods some of you guys have, that 5.7 0-60 time should dip even further
rmmgs4 has done low 5
Old 09-11-06, 08:43 AM
Krupski2
Driver

Don't forget like the EPA's MPG, the car is setup at maximum performance and the best environment for this to take place. Hence why all the hybrid manufacturers were getting **** about their MPG on the cars because they were at optimum conditions.