GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS vs. RX330 RX300 ect... NEED ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 01:51 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS vs. RX330 RX300 ect... NEED ADVICE!

Is the interior bigger on a RX series truck than in a GS because i need to fit 2 baby seats in the back and still drive comfortably driving and I'm trying to figure this out.

Thx

Last edited by Alexus-Kia; 09-09-06 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-09-06, 02:15 PM
edfrsd
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both and think that the GS has a bit more room interior wise. but when it comes down to lugging a portable crib and some strollers the RX wins hands down.
Old 09-09-06, 02:26 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a few rx loaners and the inside is not very big. I run two cars seats in my gs. I just put towels under them and take them out when not using so they don't dent the leather.
Old 09-09-06, 02:40 PM
Jugg_head
Driver

Originally Posted by edfrsd
I have both and think that the GS has a bit more room interior wise. but when it comes down to lugging a portable crib and some strollers the RX wins hands down.
Exactly. Just made this trade on Friday. RX is way better to lug around the kids than the GS, but I miss my GS soooooooooooo bad when it comes to power, fit and finish and sporty fun.

PS. The RX is nice, but it rattles like a b$#ch.
Old 09-09-06, 02:59 PM
phantastik
Driver School Candidate

Default I think i go with the RX

I also have both i have 01 GS300 and 02 RX300 i ride with 2 car seats on both cars and i think that the RX has more space. but i havent quite look at it.
Old 09-09-06, 04:17 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have both and i have to say that the RX has more room than the GS (at least it feels like it)... its MUCH easier putting a baby in or taking a baby out from the RX than the GS... just my observation/opinion
Old 09-09-06, 05:46 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Here's yet another response from an owner of both. I think the GS has more interior space, especially the rear seat. The GS trunk space is not too bad. Overall sport and speed goes to the GS hands down. The RX has the advantage of sitting quite a bit higher making the putting in of these car seats your talking about a lot easier. Now with the rear seat folded down the RX becomes quite spacious for a variety of hauling. The other advantage to the RX, is the AWD with VSC if your in an area where winter plays a role. My GS4 gets 24 mpg when I commute it, the wife's AWD RX gets 20. If my kids weren't grown and gone plus considering that I live in Alaska, I would have the newest RX I could afford for a single family vehicle.
Old 09-09-06, 07:23 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

OK so its still a toss up???
I Only need it for the 2 baby car seats, not too worried about lugging stuff.
Also how tall are u guys???

My husband is 6'1"-6'2" and to fit in my GS his seat has too be all the way pushed back almost touching the back seat for him to fit so you cant fit 2 baby seats back there because behind him the child will have smushed legs

So the question i am asking and why because for economical reasons of lugging 2 car seats and if he chooses to drive,(We dont always wanna ride in his navi) should i sell my GS for the RX or should i get a different kind of vehicle altogether? It seems like the RX will still be a nice size for me to comfortably drive as a 4'11" woman and thats why i am considering it.
Old 09-09-06, 08:56 PM
LexFather

I think for utility, can't beat a RX. I will say interior space in the GS to me is on par or bigger than the RX 300 but the seating position gives it an airy feeling. The RX 330, I cannot lie, I damn near fell in love with, its more spacious than the RX 300, drives better but not a giant dinasour sized SUV. Trunk room is larger too.

Eventually you'll have to carry those strollers, etc..
Old 09-09-06, 09:32 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia
OK so its still a toss up???
I Only need it for the 2 baby car seats, not too worried about lugging stuff.
Also how tall are u guys???

My husband is 6'1"-6'2" and to fit in my GS his seat has too be all the way pushed back almost touching the back seat for him to fit so you cant fit 2 baby seats back there because behind him the child will have smushed legs

So the question i am asking and why because for economical reasons of lugging 2 car seats and if he chooses to drive,(We dont always wanna ride in his navi) should i sell my GS for the RX or should i get a different kind of vehicle altogether? It seems like the RX will still be a nice size for me to comfortably drive as a 4'11" woman and thats why i am considering it.
i have a 99gs400, and my parents have a 00rx300.

if you need hauling space the rx300 is the obvious choice since the rear seats fold down, and flat to boot. it's also adjustable fore/aft. can't do that in the gs.

fuel economy is poorer in the rx, but it runs on regular, not premium like the gs400.

the gs is obviously faster and smoother, having 2 more cylinders and a 5spd vs. a 4spd the rx300 has. but with the awd the rx300 has you never have to worry about traction in poor weather.

someone mentioned rattles... for some inexpicable reason, our rx300 does not rattle at all, unlike my gs, which i'm going to tear out the sunroof shade if it does it to me one more time i swear...

i'm 6'2", mostly in the legs. not sure what happened with your hubby but there is enough space behind my driver's seat for others to sit in... but then again my mom is 5'4" so she dosen't take up that much space...

i also have a grievance with the rx300's turning circle... it's just brutal. my gs is a bigger car and i can cut a smaller circle than the rx

have you considered leasing an rx350? we test drove one the other day and... wow. our rx300 feels so ancient and outdated after that

Last edited by Benjamin T; 09-09-06 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-10-06, 08:35 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia
I'm 6-0/195lbs. I find the RX more comfortable as far as driver seat position goes. The GS's seat doesn't go down far enough for me, when I wear a ball cap, it hits the roof. There's tons of head room in the RX. Both of my grand daughters 7 and 9 years old fit just fine in the GS with me driving. Now in the RX, I can get that drivers seat just perfect for me and with the rear seat of RX slid back the grand kids have plenty of room. Same was true for their booster seats when they were using those. I did have to have a talk with them about kicking the fronts seats when they were in their boosters. Something about kids feet, they just can't help swinging them when the oppurtunity arises. If at all possible, see if you can't get your hands on the RX your thinking about for a couple of days or at least for 24 hours. They are 2 different vehicles designed to fill 2 different niches.
Old 09-10-06, 09:20 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im 6-4 and around 245 lbs, and my GS seems small w/ just 1 carseat in it. I have to move the front passenger seat up too, because my 2.5yr old daughters legs seem cramped back there. Not to mention I lose a lot of trunk space with her stroller in the back.

I can only imagine how cramped if feels with 2 car seats, and two people up front, and a trunk full of strollers, and miscellenous baby bags and stuff. Having said that, a small SUV like the RX does appear to have more appeal for your needs. Hopefully you can accomodate both cars and not have to give up your GS.
Old 09-12-06, 03:40 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys maybe i will do a test drive or get a rental now i have to compare the RX300 vs. the Rx330
Old 09-12-06, 04:13 PM
salimshah

Received 1,097 Likes on 987 Posts

When you take your GS for service, pre-arrange for an RX loaner. Just tell your service writer that it will be the next day before you can bring the RX back.

In summary the RX passenger space (volume) is less than GS. But you sort of sit in the GS seats while you sit On the RX seats ... passenger legs go in the foot well due to the hump (trans) hump in the middle.

As mentioned in another post the rear-door opening gives you a more squarish portal on and RX which makes it ever so slightly easier to transfer a baby into and out of the car seat.

One major difference is in the platform height. [more so for us as our GS is lowered]. So if you are med to tall, extricating and placing a child in the RX is much more comfortable. If you are med-short, the same thing can be a bit taxing.

Salim
Old 09-12-06, 09:21 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Ok understood i will try that out! hopefully i can find a decent one in my price range! :P

thanks!!