GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

WATER LEAK!!! The simpleton I bought my GS400 from had no idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 07:47 AM
firelizard

Received 444 Likes on 352 Posts

Pull down the headliner and see if it is just disconnected. There's a join in the drain hose near the top of the windshield where it diverts down the A-pillar and down from there. If it's pulled apart you will get a leak in the sunvisor/upper A-pillar area. Easy fix. You can also fish a wire into the plumbing from there, if it's a clog.
The following users liked this post:
howat (12-26-21)
Old 09-03-18, 07:48 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
Pull down the headliner and see if it is just disconnected. There's a join in the drain hose near the top of the windshield where it diverts down the A-pillar and down from there. If it's pulled apart you will get a leak in the sunvisor/upper A-pillar area. Easy fix. You can also fish a wire into the plumbing from there, if it's a clog.
thanks. I’m hesitant to pull down the headliner as I’ve read it’s a lot of work, but maybe I have no choice.
Old 09-03-18, 07:58 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Seems hose still connected from what I can see
Old 09-03-18, 07:59 AM
firelizard

You don't have to take the whole thing down. In my case, I was able to pry down the corner I was working on enough to reach the drain system. It's a flexible piece, just be gentle, don't overdo it and kink it because then it will be a lot of work.

I can't see what you're seeing, but from memory the drain connection is behind the piece you haven't pulled down, in the narrow portion between the windscreen and the sunroof, roughly where your water seems to be originating. I had seeping in the exact same location but on the driver's side.
Old 09-03-18, 08:02 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

You don't have to take the whole thing down. In my case, I was able to pry down the corner I was working on enough to reach the drain system. It's a flexible piece, just be gentle, don't overdo it and kink it because then it will be a lot of work.
Ok I can try. Can you tell me a bit more of what minimally needs to come down? Reading about headliners, “Take pillar garnishes off. Visors. Lights and controls and the cover around the whole to sunroof and it should come down”...
Old 09-03-18, 08:06 AM
firelizard

I did take the sun visor off since that was just a few screws. The pillar garnish as well, like you did. I do remember trying to take the interior light and sunroof controls out so I could drop the whole front but I wasn't able to with the tools I had at hand so I worked around it. I'll go out to my car and see if it'll jog my memory.
Old 09-03-18, 08:08 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

I did take the sun visor off since that was just a few screws. The pillar garnish as well, like you did. I do remember trying to take the interior light and sunroof controls out so I could drop the whole front but I wasn't able to with the tools I had at hand so I worked around it. I'll go out to my car and see if it'll jog my memory.
i would greatly appreciate that. A few pics or video would be awesome. There’s also 2 drains on each side, so wouldn’t that mean a hose running forward and another back?
Old 09-03-18, 08:28 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

does this sound anout right?

howat (12-26-21)
Old 09-03-18, 08:28 AM
firelizard

I don't have any tools at my disposal but I did go look to see if I could remember what I did.
If you remove the grab handle and pull away the weather seal (be careful, there is sticky black sealant) you can pull down the side of the headliner and if you look inside to where my finger is pointing, you will see the rubber drain hose, and a plastic fitting that may or may not be connected. In my case, that's where the leak was. I have small hands so I just reached in there and snugged it back on. If you can see it but can't reach it, you may have to pull down more of your headliner.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Je...NlhFo7JRXgnCXH
Old 09-03-18, 08:31 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have any tools at my disposal but I did go look to see if I could remember what I did.
If you remove the grab handle and pull away the weather seal (be careful, there is sticky black sealant) you can pull down the side of the headliner and if you look inside to where my finger is pointing, you will see the rubber drain hose, and a plastic fitting that may or may not be connected. In my case, that's where the leak was. I have small hands so I just reached in there and snugged it back on. If you can see it but can't reach it, you may have to pull down more of your headliner.
thanks for taking the effort. My drain hose seems to be clear plastic, not rubber? Will try
Old 09-03-18, 09:52 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

hey man. I just want to say thanks. You got me on the right track but I ended up removing the sunroof glass from inside and clearing the drain.

Thanks again man.
firelizard (09-03-18)
Old 12-26-21, 08:42 AM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airahcaz

hey man. I just want to say thanks. You got me on the right track but I ended up removing the sunroof glass from inside and clearing the drain.

Thanks again man.

How does one " clear the drain?"
Old 12-26-21, 02:27 PM
CurlyG
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

From what I've read, locate the front 2 drains (and the rear 2, though it sounds like they're not accessible) and blow them out using compressed air and an air gun. Then pour water down each drain, and look for water dripping out under the car (where the drain lines dump rain water).
Old 12-27-21, 12:14 PM
bbmach
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by howat
How does one " clear the drain?"
Take a look at post #9 - it's my experience cleaning them, I was careful and didn't need to disassemble anything...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11054438
Old 12-28-21, 05:12 AM
Ajchan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 2000 GS400. The solution was to clean around the perimeter of the sunroof and the rubber seal. When all of the road grime was removed, I applied a thin layer of silicone grease to the rubber. No more leaks!

I think what was happening was that the seal, which is original, is losing its pliability and operating the sun roof causes it to not set correctly. With the silicone application the seal area is clean and smooth so it works better. Anyway it was a 5 minute fix and the area needed cleaning anyway.