GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

hey LexusRules and others. how loud is your exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-01, 05:05 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey LexusRules and others. how loud is your exhaust??

dude how loud is your exhaust dude???
it looks like its loud!!!!!!!!
im getting a quad exhaust , free flow.... dont want it to be rice loud .. can i do something to quiet it down .. im more for looks then sound or performance.... i heard putting something liek fiberglass fillings in the exhaust ???? i dunno gimme some ideas...
Old 10-15-01, 06:35 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, the exhaust is like not as loud as riced civics, but it is Loud, well its not quiet, but when im just cruising its not like oh i cant talk because my exhaust is to loud, no you can talk just fine its just that you can hear the car working, just like how i like it. I know its a luxury car but i like to know how my baby isfeeling and she has to talk to me.. i have to hear her needs. A quiet exhaust wouldn't tell you that for example it wasn't idling proporly and it shook a bit... and i was like mom this is no good take it to the dealer, yep one of the fuel injectors went bad (thank Z-Max for that) so it talks to me i guess.....

to make it quieter you could

A) add more power to your car - this would add backpressure which would make the car quieter, ever wonder why those motorcycles are so loud? they cant make enough backpressure so they are really really loud)

B) you could probobly have custom silencers mounted on... but its just the thickness of your pipes, if you make them really wide you will loose bottom end power and it will be loud, but gain top-end power, reasnobly maby only get it about 60mm or 70mm pipes because you are not running turbo just yet, im shouldn't have such big pipes and therefore i loose about .5HP below 3000RPM (maybe more im just in denial) then your car should be quieter

try with that exhaust at about 65mm pipes from the cat back with those mufflers, if you find its too loud for your taste maybe add another muffler further back in the system that will add more power, althought you may loose SOME top end power due to more restriction, basicly:

Loud = Top End
Quiet = Bottom End

its all in the balance

but then there are idiots who just think no exhaust is the answer and loose all their bottom end and possibly even loose top end see... its all messed up
Old 10-16-01, 04:07 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant do anything small to slow the flow so it would be quieter?
Old 10-17-01, 12:40 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea thats what im sayin, to make it quieter you could use thinner pipes, like 55 or 60mm would help but you wouldn't notice too much of a power gain at high end.

that would probobly be your best bet with those mufflers.