GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car Creaks When Moving Off

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 01:13 AM
3GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car Creaks When Moving Off

Hi Everyone:

We have a 2003 GS300 with a bit over 40K on it. The car is certified. It makes a creaking noise as it moves off when in reverse. When the car stops and we move off in drive the car creaks when moving off. To my knowledge it does not make noise at any other time. The dealership says it's the brake pads needing to be changed (they are not low and I do know that brake pads can develop a film that can make noise but I am not sure it would make noise only when moving off). Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone have any opinions on what else this could be?

The reason I am hesitant to believe the dealership is that although they have won many awards, they have misdiagnosed problems with my other Lexus a couple of times. In one instance they told me I had to buy a completely new caliper (few hundred dollars to replace and had to be ordered) so I asked to see the car on the lift. I found the problem and it was a $16 part.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-06-06, 05:54 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Many times the front rotors just need to be turned.

Lexus does it on the vehicle.
Old 10-06-06, 06:54 AM
CRSO
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GSLEX
Hi Everyone:

We have a 2003 GS300 with a bit over 40K on it. The car is certified. It makes a creaking noise as it moves off when in reverse. When the car stops and we move off in drive the car creaks when moving off. To my knowledge it does not make noise at any other time. The dealership says it's the brake pads needing to be changed (they are not low and I do know that brake pads can develop a film that can make noise but I am not sure it would make noise only when moving off). Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone have any opinions on what else this could be?

The reason I am hesitant to believe the dealership is that although they have won many awards, they have misdiagnosed problems with my other Lexus a couple of times. In one instance they told me I had to buy a completely new caliper (few hundred dollars to replace and had to be ordered) so I asked to see the car on the lift. I found the problem and it was a $16 part.

Thanks,
Kevin
If it's a "click" or a little bang it's normal for almost all models up to 2000 as of 2000. it will ONLY happen when reversing direction. It is normal as the brake pads may be shifting into the direction the car is going. You can quiet it but it's normal.
Old 10-06-06, 08:08 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

same thing for me, when i back out from the driveway in the morning, it makes a CLICK sound. just once though. and sometimes, rarely, but sometimes in the morning, when i stop and go, it clicks. I hope its nothing critical. btw mines a 2002 gs430
Old 10-06-06, 08:18 AM
CRSO
Driver

Originally Posted by ssaristo
same thing for me, when i back out from the driveway in the morning, it makes a CLICK sound. just once though. and sometimes, rarely, but sometimes in the morning, when i stop and go, it clicks. I hope its nothing critical. btw mines a 2002 gs430
Same thing... remember this was posted in 2000 so it may be recurring in later year models. It is not a problem though.
Attached Thumbnails Car Creaks When Moving Off-brake-pad-click-1.jpg  
Old 10-06-06, 10:18 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

The clicking noise is quite normal...my Supra also does it
Old 10-06-06, 10:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the same problem. It's embarassing when you roll to a stop in a lexus or reverse out of a shopping center and your car makes a big click. You'd expect a car like this shouldn't have little symptoms like these. I know many of my older cars never had such problem. I dont like the idea of the brake pads shifting around.
Old 10-06-06, 10:26 AM
CRSO
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I have the same problem. It's embarassing when you roll to a stop in a lexus or reverse out of a shopping center and your car makes a big click. You'd expect a car like this shouldn't have little symptoms like these. I know many of my older cars never had such problem. I dont like the idea of the brake pads shifting around.
You can quiet it down with the grease.
Old 10-06-06, 10:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I dont want a temporary fix. i want a permanent fix. I shouldn't have to do that kind of maintenance on a car like this. I bought a lexus so I wouldn't have to deal with little problems like this. oh well

I guess it's one more reason for me to get a big brake kit
Old 10-06-06, 01:32 PM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CRSO
Same thing... remember this was posted in 2000 so it may be recurring in later year models. It is not a problem though.
THANKS! That was really helpful. I was worried for a mement there. Appreciate it!
Old 10-06-06, 01:54 PM
minla007
Pole Position

i had the same problem....98 gs4...i replaced the brake pads w/ OEM pads and I also replaced those little metal "clips" on the caliper, because the old ones have lost their ability to "spring".....

so far this solution has solved the "creaking" noise.
Old 10-06-06, 03:08 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

i had the same problem and fixed it by bending the clip that holds the pad in place
Old 10-06-06, 10:49 PM
3GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies.

The exact sound I am describing is heard when the floor creaks in a horror movie as the star is trying to hide from the big bad monster. I am not speaking of a click. The car sounds like an old door which needs to be lubed, but only when moving off in reverse or changing from moving backward to moving forward.

Tammy, is turning the rotors the fix for this problem? The dealership wants to turn all the rotors and change all the pads. I figure that if the noise is just a film on the rotors/pads then I can wet some fine sandpaper and go to town on washing them off with soapy water.

Kevin
Old 10-07-06, 06:01 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have found the noise you describe was due to vibration of the pad as it's leading edge is just contacting the rotor.

Turning the rotors and replacing the pads will fix the problem. The newer pad's leading edge is beveled, reducing this vibration. In the process, they will place anti squeal compound or caliper grease to the pad back and edges, along with the two anti squeal shims per pad to reduce the vibration. Resurfacing the rotors allows the pads to evenly and smoothly compress into the rotor, increasing the brake's stopping ability.

Additionally, they will correctly bleed and replace the brake fluid in the system, using their service tool. Air in the system causes uneven pad pressures and the pads fail to pull back from the rotor.

There are a few areas of the vehicle that is better understood by a factory trained person. They understand where the weak areas are and their correct resolution for your individual Lexus.
Old 10-07-06, 11:27 AM
3GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Tammy:

Thanks for the insight. I truly appreciate it. Is there any part of this process that is under warranty, or is it entirely out of (my) pocket?

Kevin

Last edited by 3GSLEX; 10-07-06 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Car Creaks When Moving Off