GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wet under drivers side mat.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 01:35 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im pretty sure it will be a leaky evap core box. i never got mine fixed. just kinda stop using the ac.
Old 01-13-09, 03:34 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BigManne
im pretty sure it will be a leaky evap core box. i never got mine fixed. just kinda stop using the ac.
Same here.
Old 04-09-10, 06:41 AM
motolex722
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

bringin it back... so we had a really strong thunderstorm roll in last night and this morning as i got in my car to go to work i realized there was a puddle over my all weather mat. i've had an issue with my driver side carpet being damp for quite some time now but never saw a puddle before. also my i felt around the edge of the A pillar and edge of the headliner and felt that it was sort of damp. this has to be my moon roof drains right?
Old 04-09-10, 07:27 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More that likely it's your sunroof drain.
Old 04-09-10, 08:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by motolex722
bringin it back... so we had a really strong thunderstorm roll in last night and this morning as i got in my car to go to work i realized there was a puddle over my all weather mat. i've had an issue with my driver side carpet being damp for quite some time now but never saw a puddle before. also my i felt around the edge of the A pillar and edge of the headliner and felt that it was sort of damp. this has to be my moon roof drains right?
glad u SEARCHED and found this instead of posting a new post.
yeah, sounds like your drains, when i removed and replaced my sunroof the other day, i took some CO2 and shot it into the actual lines so i wouldnt have to worry bout this. FYI there are 4 drain holes on the gs sunroof

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
More that likely it's your sunroof drain.
x2
Old 04-09-10, 12:39 PM
-Future-
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well let me share my experience. My wifes 05' civic recently smelt a little musty. I noticed the carpet under the driver's side matt was damp. Not the top of the matt or any of the seat or dash. So that was sign number one that it water was coming in from under the matt, most likely near the fire wall or behind the dash.

I pulled up the carpet and found a half inch of of water sitting in the body and the padding behind the carpet was drenched. I let all of that dry out. I think the easiest way to find the leak is to narrow it down. So with the carpet up and pushed to the side with the driver's side seat out, I took a flash light and waited/watched under the dash area and pedal area while my wife hosed the car for about 20mins in several areas (windshield, door, and sunroof).

You have to be patient because i couldnt find it right away, then all of a sudden a little trickle (the slowest one drip leak I've ever seen) came down through the weld where two body parts meet. There must have been a pinhole there for years and all the water accumlated.

I slapped globs of silicon on that area to prevent the water from coming in.

Bottom line is it can be 1 of a hundred different things guaranteed to drive you nuts!! Do my test and wait it out, the water will eventually seep in from somewhere. Or I've heard of others using baby powder while the carpet was up. Splash it all over the floor area and come back to see where the stream of water ran from..

Hope this helps.....
Old 04-09-10, 08:58 PM
motolex722
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
glad u SEARCHED and found this instead of posting a new post.
yeah, sounds like your drains, when i removed and replaced my sunroof the other day, i took some CO2 and shot it into the actual lines so i wouldnt have to worry bout this. FYI there are 4 drain holes on the gs sunroof

x2
Haha yea I know I have a pretty low post count but I've been hovering around the board long enough to know I should probably do a thorough search before posting a new thread. And I figured there's gotta be another noob with a similar problem on here lol.

Thanks for the help guys. I did find that it was my sun roof drain that was the culprit. Flushed em out with a mixture of draino and water like a previous post suggested. Vents are flowing free but ill prolly shoot some air through em for good measure.
Old 04-09-10, 10:54 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by motolex722
Haha yea I know I have a pretty low post count but I've been hovering around the board long enough to know I should probably do a thorough search before posting a new thread. And I figured there's gotta be another noob with a similar problem on here lol.

Thanks for the help guys. I did find that it was my sun roof drain that was the culprit. Flushed em out with a mixture of draino and water like a previous post suggested. Vents are flowing free but ill prolly shoot some air through em for good measure.
the air in there cant hurt....good u got it resolved. even better that u did it WITHOUT a new topic lol
Old 05-28-10, 06:57 AM
a1jones
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately I have fell victim to this water leak as well. My car has been at the dealer since tuesday just got the phone call to confirm it is the seal on the box. Now they are going to call my warranty company to see if they are going to cover it. Im keeping my fingers super crossed cause i dont want to throw out that much money since i just bought the car!
Old 05-28-10, 07:26 AM
a1jones
Driver School Candidate

fml they arent covering look like im doing a dash pull grrr!!! i still love her though!
Old 05-28-10, 07:38 AM
03SPDESIGN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by a1jones
Unfortunately I have fell victim to this water leak as well. My car has been at the dealer since tuesday just got the phone call to confirm it is the seal on the box. Now they are going to call my warranty company to see if they are going to cover it. Im keeping my fingers super crossed cause i dont want to throw out that much money since i just bought the car!
If, the box needs too be resealed. Then your looking at a few $$$$ for the labor alone. It's NOT CHEAP!!!!

I had the same problem with 98GS a few yrs back. GL
Old 05-28-10, 09:14 AM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saiji
I told you guys not to let girls sit on the driver seat!!! =)

I have the same problem too. I just put a towel there....and that was a bad mistake...it started to smell like a$$ after a while..so i just left it.
You know I was just about to say this... lol well not the smellin like a$$ part but, you get my drift...

Sorry bro!, nice chick in your sig too, maybe that's your problem... I can help solve... j/k...
Old 07-03-10, 07:31 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I was vacuuming the inside of my car today and notice that the driver side carpet was wet. I pulled the carpet up and the foam was completely soaked. I tried to squeeze as much water out as I could and soaked it up with a rag. From what I can tell, the grommet from that picture on the first page seems fine. Im hoping its not the evap core box. I still gotta try and find that drainage hose everyones talking about. Where is it exactly?

Btw in that picture I mentioned, there wasnt a hose connected to it, but in my car there is one. Whered it go in that pic?
Old 07-04-10, 02:55 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drainage hose is on the passenger side.
Old 07-04-10, 10:02 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

I had the same problem and mine wad from a missing body plug.

Quick Reply: Wet under drivers side mat.