GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wet under drivers side mat.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 05:41 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been reading the posts about water in the passenger compartment.
Hope it doesn't happen to me !

Brings back memories - bought a new Ford Taurus back in '86.

My first new car - I pampered it.

Just a few months after the warranty expired - water in the passenger side carpet.

It turned out to be a leaking heater core.

I couldn't convince Ford to pick up the tab, and the quotes I was getting to do the work were silly (over $1,000 back in the day).

So I get my hands on a repair manual, go to the Ford dealer and but a new heater core.

I spend the day taking out the entire dashboard.

I called it a day when it was sitting on the floor of the garage and I had taken out the leaking core - half way done!

Got up early the next day - put in the new heater core - put in the dash ( OMG ), refilled the coolant and was SO proud I go it done.

Start the car up - pull it out onto the driveway and into the sunshine.....

Coolant leak same place! ! !

OMG - you mean I didn't connect the line correctly? Or?? WTF !

I pull the dash, open the heater box - and there, the brand new Ford OEM heater core is leaking like a sieve. It has a faulty weld far worse than the original I was replacing.

It's late afternoon, Sunday....wife took me inside....she was SO understanding...

Miller Time!
Old 07-06-10, 10:41 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BigManne
drainage hose is on the passenger side.
Could you be more specific? Thanks.
Old 07-07-10, 03:36 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
Could you be more specific? Thanks.

bottom left pic
Old 09-06-10, 08:10 AM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the leak on drivers side too.

Tore up the carpet, pad was soaked along with clean water on the floor.
Passenger side is dry.

I did the moonroof test and it seems to be flowing fine.

I've been using A/C everyday for a couple months now, and it's starting to get a little colder here so I'm gonna dry things up and see if I get the same water with no A/C.

This is not fun.
Old 09-28-10, 11:27 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicotrini
Carpet wet?
First you must isolate where the water is coming from. Pull back the carpet.
Is it only Passenger side, Driver side, Roof?

Problems:

1. The rubber molding is not seated correctly
+ Check the rubber around the door as well as around the door jams

2. Evaporator is leaking (A/C)
+ Could be costly (about $650 from a regular mechanic)
+ Most likely only the passenger side will be wet
+ AC will be blowing warm
+ Distinct smell from the liquid leaking out

3. Hose Leaving Evaporator box is leaking into the car or is clogged
+When you look in the engine bay you will see a black rubber hose coming out from the fire wall. This is where you can have a clog.

4. Rubber Gromets under the carpet is missing or leaking
+ When you remove the carpet you will see the 2 black rubber gromets.
+ Check to make sure they are snug in place, if not place some silicon around it.
+ Sometimes the gromet drops out (can also cause a whistling noise when you accelerate)

5.Moonroof Drain Clogged
+ Fill a cup of water and place it in the Moonroom Drain
+ It should flow out underneath behind the front tire.
+ Check if it is leaking in the car.
+ If it is use compressed air to blow the debri out of the drain.
+ Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-JE2Isu0qs
It has been 4 long years since I posted this info, and I still have this problem. I have narrowed it down to the Evap box. Has anyone removed it themselves?

I have plans to do it MYSELF. I will be taking pictures step by step and reporting my findings.

If ANYONE on this forum has any information that may assist me in either in removing the dash.

PLEASE just post it. I plan on doing this in the next month after I collect all the information. We will put this problem to rest once and for all.
Old 09-28-10, 11:53 AM
KUPAL
Driver School Candidate

Default Wet driver side mat

Had the same problems months ago.... Found out - it was the seal from the evap casing... Lexus used a cheap rubber between the case to seal and over time due to age it shrink or crack.... Alot of the shop will say you need to replace the whole evap... Because the dealer only have the whole evap with casing together, but if you do years later you will still have the same problem...so my suggestion is if you can do it yourself do it (its alot of work) or find some one who can re-seal it with a good sealant.... I am here from socal i went to lex-tex and monty was able to do it for me cheap....saved me alot of money and not worry about leaking again......
Old 09-28-10, 12:12 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Is there a gasket (part number?) that I can buy from lexus?

Does anyone know if there is a Lexus Recall on this?

Thanks
Old 10-02-10, 12:35 PM
jsj
Driver School Candidate

Default Another cause of the floormat leak

Hello,

I appreciate all the information posted here on the various causes of the drivers-side floor mat leak. I also had this problem. I had a large amount of water that had collected under my driver side floor mat, causing the musty smell. I confirmed it was just water and not something worse.

I tested all the causes reported here, used the pictures to investigate and troubleshoot, dried out the car out multiple times, over many days, and in the end the leak was still there.

I finally found the cause in my case... As it was not listed, I wanted to add it for others in the future.

There is a small footrest on the left side of the drivers-side foot compartment, to the left of the brake pedal. When you want to lift up the carpet you need to pop this out. There are 2 metal studs/bolts that this foot rest connects to. These studs are tack-welded to the firewall in such a way that the stud extends through the firewall into the foot compartment. In my case, it turns out that one of these studs had pulled through the firewall (weld broke) leaving a small hole about the diameter of a pencil going through the firewall. This provided a passageway between the foot compartments and drain area behind the front driver side wheelwell.

At first I could not believe this was the cause, the hole was so small. But after plugging the hole now for a few weeks, and running the AC numerous times, driving through torrential rains, and pouring water into the sunroof drains and everything else, my floormat is still dry. As a result, I have concluded this was the cause of the problem.
Old 10-02-10, 10:31 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this I want to throw this out there. If you have an aftermarket windshield it can leak from a poor seal.
Old 05-20-11, 02:06 PM
bphilip26
Driver School Candidate

On my 02' ES300, the carpet by the front passenger floor is a little damp and there's a strong chemical odor that I notice when I first get into the car. The smell is like acetone. Anyone ever experience this before?
Old 05-20-11, 02:13 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bphilip26
On my 02' ES300, the carpet by the front passenger floor is a little damp and there's a strong chemical odor that I notice when I first get into the car. The smell is like acetone. Anyone ever experience this before?
glad u bumped this, i have been semi looking for this thread for awhile now but never could find it....
Old 05-21-11, 09:18 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kupal has got it right.

I meant to post these pics some time ago, but forgot. Two years ago my buddy, Greg, repaired the leaking box. Symptoms were the same as others - wet on the driver's side floor. I looked at every other possibility because I didn't want to do this job. No doubt though, the leaking housing was the problem.

This is not a DIY guide, just a few pics of how far the tare-down goes. It's not a job for the faint of heart. Greg is an ASE master mechanic and it took him about 10 hours total, with not one extra part!!

Post 1 of 3
Attached Thumbnails Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-012.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-014.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-015.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-017.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-019.jpg  

Last edited by xhackr; 05-21-11 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 09:20 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Originally Posted by xhackr
Kupal has got it right.

I meant to post these pics some time ago, but forgot. Two years ago my buddy, Greg, repaired the leaking box. Symptoms were the same as others - wet on the driver's side floor. I looked at every other possibility because I didn't want to do this job. No doubt though, the leaking housing was the problem.

This is not a DIY guide, just a few pics of how far the tare-down goes. It's not a job for the faint of heart. Greg is an ASE master mechanic and it took him about 10 hours total, with not one extra part!!
Post 2 of 3.
Attached Thumbnails Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-020.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-022.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-025.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-027.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-029.jpg  

Last edited by xhackr; 05-21-11 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-21-11, 09:21 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Originally Posted by xhackr
Kupal has got it right.

Post 3 of 3.
Attached Thumbnails Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-036.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-037.jpg   Wet under drivers side mat.-tampa-05-08-09-040.jpg  
Old 05-23-11, 05:51 AM
bphilip26
Driver School Candidate

Default Chemical odor/ damp carpet (front passenger side)

My Lexus 02' ES 300, has a strong chemical odor when I first enter the car and I have noticed that the carpet on the front passenger floor is slightly damp. This was going on for the past couple of weeks and now the car won't start. When I turn the key to start the car, the lights turn on, and I can hear that the car attempts to turn on the engine, however it just won't start.

About three weeks ago, I had gone to the dealership, and they had replaced the timing belt, replaced plugs, replaced gaskets, and performed a tuneup. I went back to the dealership and they told me that the work they performed was not related to the new issues I have with this car.

I am not sure if all of these issues are related.

Quick Reply: Wet under drivers side mat.