GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wet under drivers side mat.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 10:09 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Any reason why you took out the Steering wheel or the air bag from the steering wheel?

Looking at these two posts. They did not remove the steering wheel entirely.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...y-project.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-w-pics.html
Old 08-01-11, 03:34 PM
jsea57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the moon roof drains, there fine.
Old 08-01-11, 03:37 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

how did you confirm? did you try pouring water down and observing beneath the floor?
Old 10-05-12, 10:47 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicotrini
Here is the video I shot while I was testing the drain holes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-JE2Isu0qs
Hi Chico,
After I saw your video, I believe that I have the same problem. Please advice how you fix it. My drain pipe is not plugged but leaking is very similar to yours(same area), I haven't pull all the carpet and panel out but I feel the most wet spot is there. Please advice, I need that before I pull out everything(it's a big job). Thanks.
Old 10-06-12, 09:00 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

should rip off the liners and check to see if you have a leak somewhere o.O
Old 10-06-12, 09:03 PM
tllee
Rookie

I found it! It's the drain pipe which is located at the rear passenger side. You can't see drain hole from sun roof. So I pry open the head lining a bit,pour a lot of water, first nothing leak ;then it start dripping from the side and seep into my rear carpet and make it soaking wet.

Reason: the drain hole is partially blocked; you need to pour into enough water to make it over flow the tray. That's why I couldn't figure it out first time and thought my drain hole is not blocked.

Solution: Don't try to reach it from the sun roof ,it's almost impossible. You can find the tube under you mud guard, the blow it by air gun(you need this), stuck the gun to fully cover the tube end; just a couple seconds later, water flow down from pipe like river,it will never overfolw unless you use garden hose to pour it(I'm kidding).

** Still need to dry your carpet,that's the hard part of job. need to remove seat and moldings and etc....#$%&. AND it start raining.......Again. I 'll never buy another Lexus again.....
Old 10-08-12, 09:44 AM
jpwst13
Driver School Candidate

Default Wet carpets from sunroof, condensor drain, etc.

Have had a similar problem with a 2008 RX 400h (bought new in 2009, 55K miles). Periodic water streaming from under the glove box on front passenger side this past summer. Since that mat is intact (no cracks or holes), we just dumped it out, and no water got on the carpets. Some initial research showed that it could be the evaporator drain hose, so I found that, tried to unclog it with a coat hangar, and cleaned the AC filter behind the glove box.

The problem seemed to go away until a few weeks ago. We had a 55K mile service coming up, so I figured I would let them unclog the hose. Told the adviser (our regular guy was out) about it and that it seemed to be the hose from the evaporator. This was Sept 28.

When the service was finished, the adviser told me it was the sunroof drain being clogged and that the front foot well carpets were saturated. The adviser told me they unclogged it and that my choices were to get a shop vac, run the heater over the weekend and keep my fingers crossed. Or they would have to take the carpets out and it would be at least $700.

Since it seemed to only be a problem on the passenger side (that where the water ran from), it never occurred to me to look under the mats, or to look on the driver’s side. Once I got home and I lifted the driver’s side mat up, the carpet was indeed saturated. Out came the shop vac. Over the course of that next weekend (began on a Friday night), I used a shop vac, hair dryer, leaf blower and some baking soda. Every time I thought the driver’s side carpet was dry, I would run the vac over it, and of course, it would just pull up all the water that is still sitting in the foam underneath the carpet and rewet it.

We got a follow up call from customer relations on Oct. 2 to see if we were satisfied with our service and my wife said absolutely not. They said they would tell our regular adviser who would get back to us. By the middle of the week, he started tracking some things down, and then the water started streaming from under the glove box again. So they didn’t actually check on the thing I had asked them to check on (I realize also it could be a bad evaporator seal, which would be great). And now the musty smell is starting to build up, and since this is our only car, it is less than ideal to cart around our 1 year old and 2 ½ year old in a car with mildewed carpets.

As of this morning, our adviser says they can cover half of the repair, but since they have to take the carpets and seats out, it will be more than $700. We have made it clear that we find this unacceptable, and he said he will see what he can do.

Can anyone explain why a $50,000 car has sunroof drains (a sunroof that has maybe been used 30 times in 3 years) that get that clogged, but this it isn’t in the owner’s manual, in any bulletin sent to owners, and not part of regular dealer maintenance? I realize I am out of warranty, but it seems ludicrous that we should have to pay anything to clean/replace the rugs when there should be some notice about the sunroof drains in the car’s literature. Has anyone had luck with cleaning these carpets (at the Lexus dealer or elsewhere) and/or getting Lexus to admit they may have a design flaw?
Old 10-08-12, 10:48 AM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tllee

Solution: Don't try to reach it from the sun roof ,it's almost impossible. You can find the tube under you mud guard, the blow it by air gun(you need this), stuck the gun to fully cover the tube end; just a couple seconds later, water flow down from pipe like river,it will never overfolw unless you use garden hose to pour it(I'm kidding).

** Still need to dry your carpet,that's the hard part of job. need to remove seat and moldings and etc....#$%&. AND it start raining.......Again. I 'll never buy another Lexus again.....
Picture or better description of where this hose is? OR anyone that has pics of all hoses would be perfect. I want to clean all of mine.
Old 10-12-12, 01:11 PM
texstyles
Driver School Candidate

Hi - I am new here. Last Sunday, left early in the AM and had lots of condensation inside the windshield. Whe I got home, we started cleaning the car and found both the front foot well carpets SOAKED under the rubber mats. Used wet/dry vac and towels to do the best we could. Left car in warm sun wehn we could. Decided to call the dealer (we have an extended warranty) and they looked it over today. Said that it was the a/c drain that backed up. Told us to call our insurance co because it will be $3000 to pull & replace all the carpets/felt/padding as well as clean/disinfect - MOLD is the concern. IS THIS A KNOWN PROBLEM?? I suspect that my insurance will go up if I make a claim .... I welcome input and any recommendations. Thank you for your time.
Old 10-15-12, 05:11 PM
tllee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shoegum
Picture or better description of where this hose is? OR anyone that has pics of all hoses would be perfect. I want to clean all of mine.
It's fairly easy to find. Just take a look at rear underside of your car which close to your mud guard(behind you rear wheel). There is a pipe that stick out there about 1/2 inch long(about the same diameter of you finger). You can't miss it.
To clean the front sunroof drain pipes is much easier, you can directly see the drain holes by open the sunroof and find them on the left and right corners of sunroof frame.
Old 10-15-12, 05:17 PM
tllee
Rookie

Originally Posted by texstyles
Hi - I am new here. Last Sunday, left early in the AM and had lots of condensation inside the windshield. Whe I got home, we started cleaning the car and found both the front foot well carpets SOAKED under the rubber mats. Used wet/dry vac and towels to do the best we could. Left car in warm sun wehn we could. Decided to call the dealer (we have an extended warranty) and they looked it over today. Said that it was the a/c drain that backed up. Told us to call our insurance co because it will be $3000 to pull & replace all the carpets/felt/padding as well as clean/disinfect - MOLD is the concern. IS THIS A KNOWN PROBLEM?? I suspect that my insurance will go up if I make a claim .... I welcome input and any recommendations. Thank you for your time.
That's Toyota and Lexus' common problem. My Honda never have that kind of problem for last 12 years(yes, I own one for 12 years). You just need to keep checking it every 2-3 years if you use your A/C very much.
Don't listen to the craps of your dealer. Just make sure the A/C drain pipe is cleared, then dry your carpet as soon as possible(by using heater and fan). Don't forget to remove the rubber mats.
Old 10-22-12, 05:16 AM
texstyles
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer repair underway - NEED DOCUMENTATION of Problem

Good Morning to all! The Lexus is at the dealer for a $3350 "repair". I had to make a claim on my insurance to cover this expense. Will take about 5 days to replace the entire carpet (front to back in the vehicle) and all the associated padding ++ dissinfecting surfaces for mold.

If anyone has information / documentation of this KNOWN problem, please advise us where we can obtain it. I plan on making a claim against Lexus --- I'm sure our insurance will go UP after having a claim and we're also on the hook for the deductible.