GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

VIP GS TailLights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 02:29 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VIP GS TailLights

Saw an ad for VIP GS taillights in the classified section. I just have a couple questions concerning these lights before i purchase them. I have a 1999 GS300 and want to know if i will get a check engine light like the LED group buy lights currently for sale in the vendor section. Moreover, should these lights come with new bulbs and if not, can i run the stock bulbs with this setup? Also is $400.00 picked up a good price for these brand new?

Thank, Chris

Old 10-10-06, 02:48 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Your light out light will go on (90% sure)
2. You cannot use your existing bulbs as these lights use LED's (100% sure)
Old 10-10-06, 02:53 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LED lights uses less power so it might trigger a brake light or tail light failure. Ask the seller about it. I will look for something with resistor to avoid computer errors.
Old 10-10-06, 04:01 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the feeback guys...so is there a way to avoid or fix the CEL from going on? Where do I buy the actual LED bulbs? Moreover, how would I install them and would i be able to use my factory harness with this???
Old 10-10-06, 04:43 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

They come with LED's, unscrew your old ones and plug in the new ones. And they either come with a harness, or your existing one will work.
Old 10-10-06, 05:48 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Thanks for the feeback guys...so is there a way to avoid or fix the CEL from going on? Where do I buy the actual LED bulbs? Moreover, how would I install them and would i be able to use my factory harness with this???

1. The "check engine light" (CEL) is not the same as "tail light out indicator" Two different warning lights.

2. The "LED - tail light out" warning light issue HAS BEEN RESOLVED on the latest release of these tails. I assume these are the 1st gen models for sale, which will trigger the light out warning.

3. You can search for an LED simulator to add to the circuit, but I haven't seen anyone try this. Most people will just remove the warning bulb and live without the "light out" feature.

4. For $400 you can compare that to what Carson sells the 2nd gen models for that don't trigger the warning light. Then decide for yourself what it's worth.

If you go back and read the thread in the Carson Toyota VENDOR Classified section selling the Brand New lights, all these questions and more will be answered.
Old 10-10-06, 05:50 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Those might be the Quest tails... not sure, if you don't know the seller, they could be anything.

I bought mine from Carson Toyota. Look awesome, work great. They come with the signal bulbs, but you'll need to provide #194 bulbs for the reverse lights.

The inner LED lights are going to be available soon... you'll want to get these, too.

Here are the tails on my blue rig (sorry, this is the best close-up I have):

Old 10-10-06, 05:57 PM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Those might be the Quest tails... not sure, if you don't know the seller, they could be anything.

I bought mine from Carson Toyota. Look awesome, work great. They come with the signal bulbs, but you'll need to provide #194 bulbs for the reverse lights.

The inner LED lights are going to be available soon... you'll want to get these, too.

Here are the tails on my blue rig (sorry, this is the best close-up I have):

I want more pics! I have been waiting FOREVER for this thing to be done...
Old 10-10-06, 07:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

That GS looks hottt. ............... More pics ASAP.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 10-10-06 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 08:40 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

bob, you need to start your new thread with the makeover. cant wait to see all that you've done.
Old 10-11-06, 06:57 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

give them a try
Old 10-11-06, 07:14 AM
mvallido
Pole Position

More pics. Buy the right one and avoid spending more money later.
Old 10-11-06, 04:25 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Man u guys are awesome. I really appreciate the feedback. And I'm not one to go cheapo on my whips. I'll probably get the Carson LED Tails since I did not realize that they fixed the taillight out problem.

SoCalSC4: You mentioned that I will have to provide:

1.) #194 bulbs for the reverse lights
2.) Inner LED lights

Do you know a good place I can purchase both? And/Or does Carson Toyota hold these two items?

Lastly, anyone from SoCal know a good place to install this stuff properly with ALL functioning LED/lights/sensors? Does Carson Toyota even install Lexus stuff? Last time I went there to get my Aristo side visors it was only for parts.

Thanks fellas!

Chris
Old 10-11-06, 08:19 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Man u guys are awesome. I really appreciate the feedback. And I'm not one to go cheapo on my whips. I'll probably get the Carson LED Tails since I did not realize that they fixed the taillight out problem.

SoCalSC4: You mentioned that I will have to provide:

1.) #194 bulbs for the reverse lights
2.) Inner LED lights

Do you know a good place I can purchase both? And/Or does Carson Toyota hold these two items?

Lastly, anyone from SoCal know a good place to install this stuff properly with ALL functioning LED/lights/sensors? Does Carson Toyota even install Lexus stuff? Last time I went there to get my Aristo side visors it was only for parts.

Thanks fellas!

Chris

install it yourself. should be at most 1/2 hour job. the lights come with leds so you dont need to buy more.
Old 10-18-06, 10:31 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

so in comparison, the one on ebay is the cheeper one, and the one at Carson is the better one ..
now what justifies better or worse. is it just the LED sensor circutiry or is it the actual product is made cheeper.

Carsons is 580 and ebay one is 420 shipped, so Thats the Dilema

Quick Reply: VIP GS TailLights