GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How much would it cost to get a sun roof put in GS??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 02:04 AM
ShunDee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would it cost to get a sun roof put in GS??

How much estimated you think it would cost to get a sun roof put in my 1998 GS??
Old 10-12-06, 03:30 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they all had sunroofs
Old 10-12-06, 04:40 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much would it cost to get a sun roof put in GS??

way too much.
Old 10-12-06, 05:57 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

i say sell the car and find one with a moonroof. i've never seen an aftermarket moonroof match the quality of OEM when it comes to seal, looks, and speed. not to mention the lack of a sunshade.
Old 10-12-06, 06:46 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

this is how much... the cost of selling the one w/o the sunroof and buying one w/a sunroof... OR just wait for the next car and live with this mistake and just learn from it
Old 10-12-06, 09:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
I thought they all had sunroofs
nop, at least 98 it was option, though it was on most gs

forget about it... sell the car and get one with the sunroof, it's much easier and better. i have yet to really see a car with aftermarket sunroof that's close to "decent"
Old 10-12-06, 09:26 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

I only know of 1 person who put in aftermarket sunroof (not in a GS though) and he regret it. Not sure if the installation is poor, but it kept leaking and gave him problems.

You can bet it's easily over a grand.
Old 10-12-06, 12:45 PM
ShunDee
Driver School Candidate

hmmm...well heres the thing. I want to get a lexus gs300. Right now i have 2 options im interested in...

...$13,300 Out the door (more then likely will not beable to get it for less)
...100,086 miles
...Silver Inside and out
+touch screen navigation
+sun roof
+nice inside and out
+leather interior
+Basically fully loaded

-NO TINTED GLASS
-Rims are decent but would want to get brand new ones

...$11,200 Out The Door (could possibly lower this price)
...108,000 miles
...Silver Inside and Out
+Nice inside and out
+Tinted windows
+Alarm
+leather interior

-NO Sun Roof
-Rims are decent but would want to get brand new ones
-No Navigation

The first one is overall nicer (navi, sun roof, 6 cd changer etc.) but it's 2-3k more then the second one. Plus i'd want to add all new rims/wheels and i'd want to tint the windows. This could easily be another $2,000.

The second one doesn't have as many features but it is 2-3k less. And it already has tinted windows so that would be 1 less expense. What do you guys think I should do??

Are these good prices for this car or just average or a little steep? Put me up on game fellaz...what do you think?
Old 10-12-06, 12:53 PM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Two weeks into ownership of GS430, I barely even keep the Navigation screen on. I hit the "screen off" button almost everytime. 98% of our driving is to places we already know how to get to.

The couple of times I need directions, I've typically preplanned and have gotten Mapquest or Google directions in hand. If you don't think Navi is as big of a deal, then pass on it. If you need convincing either way on the Navi option, do a search specifically targetting the hard drive navigation that is in the '99 GS.

Sunroof is overrated as well. We don't use it on the highway (it causes too much buffetting at speed), and is not needed 7 months of the year in Chicago area anyway.

For the couple of thousands of savings, you'll be able to find yourself a nice set of used wheels, or a new set of decent quality wheels.
Old 10-12-06, 01:08 PM
rk4g63
Driver School Candidate

Get a quote from Ziebart. See if they're in you're area.
Old 10-12-06, 02:06 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the 99.
Old 10-12-06, 02:32 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

dont ruin a rare non sunroof GS. Mine doesn't have one And it;s one of the main reasons I bought the car. They have a lot more headroom and stiffens up the chassis a bit.
Old 10-12-06, 07:34 PM
amul
Rookie

Originally Posted by Luder94

Sunroof is overrated as well. We don't use it on the highway (it causes too much buffetting at speed), and is not needed 7 months of the year in Chicago area anyway.

A simple free mod to fix this problem you have Urmil.................slightly open your rear windows.
Old 10-12-06, 09:34 PM
dcentric
Driver

dont do it man! cutting into a car in a crucial area like that for something that you probably won't use isn't worth the potential headache. I've found with "quiet" luxo cars you won't like the added noise. if the car is loud to begin with its not loss, but when its quiet, the noise is annoying.
Old 10-12-06, 10:55 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luder94
Two weeks into ownership of GS430, I barely even keep the Navigation screen on. I hit the "screen off" button almost everytime. 98% of our driving is to places we already know how to get to.

The couple of times I need directions, I've typically preplanned and have gotten Mapquest or Google directions in hand. If you don't think Navi is as big of a deal, then pass on it. If you need convincing either way on the Navi option, do a search specifically targetting the hard drive navigation that is in the '99 GS.

For the couple of thousands of savings, you'll be able to find yourself a nice set of used wheels, or a new set of decent quality wheels.
this is one of the worst posts i ever read (my OPINION of course)... get the one w/the sunroof and navi... u will be KICKING urself if u didnt... down the road, u r gonna say to urself, i should have just forked over an extra $2k for 2 MAJOR mods... if u ever want navi installed down the road, that will cost you no less than $1500... or if u want a sunroof installed (which wont even be close to factory), at least $1500... so do the math and just get BOTH which are already installed from the FACTORY. do it right man. either way, gl w/the sale

Quick Reply: How much would it cost to get a sun roof put in GS??