GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Maybe a Bad Idea, But going to do timing belt myself, need advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 10:31 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Maybe a Bad Idea, But going to do timing belt myself, need advise

Hi all. Like the subject states, I am thinking of attempting the timing belt job myself.

My Reasons:
1. I've seen it done before, and it just does not seem hard to me at all.
2. I downloaded all the manuals from the Toyota tech site, and confirmed my suspicion that it is not that hard.
3. I have most of the parts already in my garage. I just want a couple of more gaskets for the TB and valve covers (cam seals replacement).
4. I have a **** load of tools. I mean I can put a lot of mechanics to shame with my assortment. I just don't have some of the specialty tools that some mechanics have. But I have a wallet, and willing to buy them if I need them.
5. Some price quotes I have received, just don't make sense to me. My mechanics that took care of my big problems for 7 years quoted me a reasonable price, $350. But they specialize in American crap, and have "we-can-do-it-blindfolded attitude". I believe them, just can't seem to trust them. Last cars timing belt, my water pump leaked. They forgot to put the gasket in.
6. I've done two engine rebuilds in thus far out of sheer boredom. I think I can to a TB on a Lexus.

So what do you guys think, should I try this? And if anyone has done this, hook me up with some info that I should watch out for.

Thanks all for reading my nonsense.
Old 10-12-06, 10:59 AM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can engine rebiuilds then a timing belt is cake. Its just a toyota nothing special. Just the common TDC and thats about it. You sound like you know what you are doing and its straight forward. I would recomend you replace other parts too. Tensioner, water pump and oil pump if your down to do that.
Old 10-12-06, 11:39 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

bro
i am a very detailed DIY guy , the veterans here know this however when it comes down to this it appears simple enough but imagine just your luck and soimething was not quite right and kaboom these are interference engines and if that belt goes or something within that area is not quite right you are looking at 8-12k to replace motor

lets see 300-450 to replace belt at dealer and let them assume the liability or we do it and just by chance maybe 8k+ out the window

i will go the safer route at least dealer will give me 1yr or 12k miles warranty on the job

i have owned my car for 3 1/2 yrs my car has been in twice for svc , tranny flush using their machine and cat convertor warranty replace but this i will let them do
Old 10-12-06, 11:53 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Turtlespd
If you can engine rebiuilds then a timing belt is cake. Its just a toyota nothing special. Just the common TDC and thats about it. You sound like you know what you are doing and its straight forward. I would recomend you replace other parts too. Tensioner, water pump and oil pump if your down to do that.
Thanks, I am replacing other thing. I have the water pump, both pulleys for the TB, tensioner, Timing Belt, and some other misc items. I still need a few new O-rings, and it looks like I need the Throttle Body gasket. Silicones and sealants I have quite a nice variety, so I am good there. Torque wrenches, I have 3 (just because of them being different length, and adapter size). I'm just thinking of buying the SST tool for ease of the cam-gear removal.

lexforlife - I hear what you are saying. But if you knew me personally I think you would understand me somewhat. My problem is not the money. I just would like to put a notch on my belt with this basically. Then there is the fact that most mechanics never touched a torque wrench in their life, and most of them are bull**** artists. I have a backup just in case though. If the marks don't line up for me when everything is done. I will put it on a tow-truck, and visit my mechanics to fix it. I deffinatelly will not start the car untill I am 100% sure that everything is perfect.
Old 10-12-06, 12:05 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Honestly.. you're looking at quite a bit of work. If you are planning on removing the cam gears, you are in for a world of complicity. The cam seals are seeping on my GS400, and i even keep putting it off to replace them, and im a veteren lexus mechanic. You will be putting apart the VVTi system on each cam to get to the seals.. its not fun, but doable. I wouldnt take it just any shop on the corner, if you dont feel comfortable, i would take it to the dealer.. you get a warranty, and piece of mind that they know what they are doing. Ive seen a lot of people do TB jobs and bend all the valves because it was a tooth off, or the cam spun while the crank was not on the timing marks.

If ive said it once, ive said it a million damn times... THIS IS NOT A SIMPLE TOYOTA! I hate when people say that...
Old 10-12-06, 12:29 PM
rra640
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A certified Lexus tech did mine at the Toyota dealer for $399. They just charged me the same price they charge for a V8 Tundra.

They did a great job.
Old 10-12-06, 12:36 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

You guys are freaking me out. Maybe I will leave the VVTi system and cam seals alone. That one has not been desided yet.
Old 10-12-06, 12:39 PM
salimshah

Received 1,077 Likes on 969 Posts

I changed my TB on Accord [not the same car ] but just wanted to share the experience and my learning.

1. Tools (it seems you are set)
2. Working space. Just because you have a garage, only assures that you have a roof above and can leave work partially complete for another day. Lighting and ease of moving around also are a factor to consider. Also remember there will be the chore of cleanup.
3. Prior experience on that particular vehicle. You learn a lot by experience, like what shortcuts can be taken and what not to do as it wastes time.
4. Access. Transverse mounted engine gave me very little room to get the tools and my fist to tighten or undo nuts/bolts. Trivial stuff was the hardest. You will encounter some thing similar.
5. Factory set nuts and bolts. Although they are torqued right, but they are hard to get started.

Changing the TB has only one critical step which can be mitigated by marking the gear postion. With V8 there are more places where the belt can be off. The rest is fairly intutive and with right tools, facility, time and energy can be done.

My conclusion after changing the TB was ....
Money saved by DIY TB replacement should not be the deciding factor. If you enjoy working on the car only then go ahead and do it.

Good luck

Salim
Old 10-12-06, 02:02 PM
darrylg33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slickgt1
You guys are freaking me out. Maybe I will leave the VVTi system and cam seals alone. That one has not been desided yet.
DEFINITELY do not mess with the VVTi cam gear if you don't have to, if you can avoid anything to do with the cam gears you should be fine. I have a 300 so I can't speak to the V8, but I did the timing belt and it wasn't too bad. Spin the engine first before trying to start it and ensure you are lined up on the marks and feel for any interference. Follow the tech guide to the letter, and like a carpenter, measure TWICE, cut once if you know what I mean...other than that, you should be fine. Have fun...D

Hope you have a easier time getting the lower cam pulley off than I did...mine was on extra tight....
Old 10-12-06, 02:25 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have an air compressor with an impact wrench, air rachet, and a bunch of other little air tools. The bolt I see having a slight problem with is the crank bolt. That thing is torqued to 181 ft-lbf, my impact gun is rated at 175.

Maybe I'll use the breaket bar agains the floor technique and crank the car. LOL, I don't think so. I rather borrow a bigger gun from my mechanics.
Old 10-12-06, 02:39 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have an air compressor with an impact wrench, air rachet, and a bunch of other little air tools. The bolt I see having a slight problem with is the crank bolt. That thing is torqued to 181 ft-lbf, my impact gun is rated at 175.

Maybe I'll use the breaket bar agains the floor technique and crank the car. LOL, I don't think so. I rather borrow a bigger gun from my mechanics.
it takes my IR titanium 1/2" gun to get crank bolts off.. and i think that thing has 750+ft lbs's in reverse... the starter trick on the ground works.. but its dangerous. be sure you have the right pullers to get the crank pulley off also.
Old 10-12-06, 07:00 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if a lex master tech that's been here for 4 years says it's complicated and not to mess with it, I would listen.

if money is really not an issue it'd be stupid not to just take it to the dealer.
Old 10-12-06, 07:23 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
if a lex master tech that's been here for 4 years says it's complicated and not to mess with it, I would listen.

if money is really not an issue it'd be stupid not to just take it to the dealer.
You read my mind. Generally timing belts aren't a big deal but twin cams with VVTi and a Lex mechanic saying don't, I think it's a no brainer to go to a Lexus dealership for $400.
Old 10-12-06, 07:31 PM
dusouth
Pole Position

if money ain't a problem do it. and don't let anyone scare your from doing it yourself , if you do mess up you already know what your in for.
Old 10-12-06, 08:10 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Purchase a fresh 1/4 oz. bottle of "Testors" white enamel paint and a small paint brush or toothpicks.

The enamel won't wipe off like nail polish or wite-out.

For the little reference marks prior to removing cog wheels, pulleys or belts.

This may help with the reassembly.

Quick Reply: Maybe a Bad Idea, But going to do timing belt myself, need advise