GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Thinking ahead to 07... need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-06 | 08:56 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Default Thinking ahead to 07... need opinions

Well my 2006 show season is now over and I am thinking about what I will do to my car to prepare it for 2007. Among the things I have been thinking about doing is changing my body kit and hood. I have a ton of rock chips on the front of my car which is not only an eye sore but it hurts me in competition so I am thinking about changing the kit because I have to get it repainted anyway. The hood has a marble paint scheme which I am reluctant to part with because so many people have said how good it looks and it ties in with the paint scheme across the top of the car. But I was thinking about maybe getting a new hood so if I don't like it I could always go back. Anyway I need hood and kit suggestions from you guys. Other suggestions that may help me out next year would be welcomed as well.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking ahead to 07... need opinions-lexfest07.jpg  
Old 10-13-06 | 08:57 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

This is a Vizage body kit
Attached Thumbnails Thinking ahead to 07... need opinions-lexfest02.jpg  
Old 10-13-06 | 08:58 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Another view
Attached Thumbnails Thinking ahead to 07... need opinions-closeup.jpg  
Old 10-13-06 | 09:03 AM
FrankWhite
Lead Lap

change those busted taillights
Old 10-13-06 | 09:03 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

side view.....
Attached Thumbnails Thinking ahead to 07... need opinions-may-06_07.jpg  
Old 10-13-06 | 09:09 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I would do a really clean kit, Auto Couture, Wald, etc. Also another big item that may help alot is airrunners, or a similar suspension of that sort.
Old 10-13-06 | 09:36 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Change the paint like Birdman does every year , change the wheels, and get some coilovers.
Old 10-13-06 | 10:05 AM
Neo
The One

There are always plenty to do. I would agree with changing out the kit. Do you want to keep the feel of the Vizage where there are more things going on or do you want something with cleaner lines? I prefer the latter for my car but building a car for show is different.
Old 10-13-06 | 10:20 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

How bout a classy JDM kit and airrunner? Then change the paint scheme if you want to switch it up even more.
Old 10-13-06 | 10:35 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Automan
Well my 2006 show season is now over and I am thinking about what I will do to my car to prepare it for 2007. Among the things I have been thinking about doing is changing my body kit and hood. I have a ton of rock chips on the front of my car which is not only an eye sore but it hurts me in competition so I am thinking about changing the kit because I have to get it repainted anyway. The hood has a marble paint scheme which I am reluctant to part with because so many people have said how good it looks and it ties in with the paint scheme across the top of the car. But I was thinking about maybe getting a new hood so if I don't like it I could always go back. Anyway I need hood and kit suggestions from you guys. Other suggestions that may help me out next year would be welcomed as well.
How well have you been doing in shows with the current body kit? If you have been doing well, then I would just keep it and repaint and add some other stuff like an air suspension.

I am no authority on show cars, however from all that I have seen, it appears show cars are always overdone, over-the-top, look extremely busy and are just plain impractical. But that is besides the point as it all boils down to your personal tastes and what you want to do to your car to make it more competitive in car shows.

Maybe install some LCD's in the mirrors or gas cap cover, or even in the high beams or something equally over-the-top like that. Just being straight with you, not trying to insult you, so don't take it the wrong way.
Old 10-13-06 | 11:38 AM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Change the paint like Birdman does every year , change the wheels, and get some coilovers.

Unfortunately I don't have Birdman's money or I might go with a completely different paint scheme. I just bought those rims earlier this year and I already have TEIN CS coilovers.

I have done very well at shows and usually place 1st or 2nd in my class but there have been shows when I have not placed at all. Unless I get some sponsorship that gives me the desire and ability to go way over the top I probably will not. I would like to do a little more in my trunk setup and really cleanup the outside of my car. I am in serious need of engine work and want to make it more show quality as well. I still want to be able to drive it but I want to have something to show in every category. And yes I will change the tail lights as well.
Old 10-13-06 | 01:45 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Automan
Unfortunately I don't have Birdman's money or I might go with a completely different paint scheme. I just bought those rims earlier this year and I already have TEIN CS coilovers.

I have done very well at shows and usually place 1st or 2nd in my class but there have been shows when I have not placed at all. Unless I get some sponsorship that gives me the desire and ability to go way over the top I probably will not. I would like to do a little more in my trunk setup and really cleanup the outside of my car. I am in serious need of engine work and want to make it more show quality as well. I still want to be able to drive it but I want to have something to show in every category. And yes I will change the tail lights as well.
I want Birdmans money too. All I have associated with him are his kicks Your car looks show ready on the outside as is. Judges tend to pay more attention to detail inside the car as well. As far as the engine, you will need some shine under the hood for sure. For example, stainless steel hoses, body colored engine cover etc, are items that won't break the bank. As far as the trunk, audio equipment that is done right will blow people away, LCD screens in the trunk with lighting will get a lot of ooohs and ahhha's. Slam her to the ground at the shows too.
Old 10-13-06 | 01:54 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

I think painting the engine parts under the hood the same as the car paint would really dress up the engine.. For example I'm sure you saw wringos car at lexfest.. His engine is painted but not overly done.. I don't know about a kit.. I'm really not up to par with all the kits out there.. but i do know that the paint scheme is one of a kind and i wouldn't change it.. Also some jp tails would flow well with paint as well.. GL... Your car is tighttttt

Tony
Old 10-13-06 | 02:05 PM
fhumphrey04
Driver

If you have the money
-2JZ GTE swap
-Vielside Hood
-Blitz Kit
-Air Runner System
-Big Brake Kit
-New LED tails
-LED under lighting
-Leather Racing Seats
Old 10-13-06 | 02:06 PM
Automan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I think painting the engine parts under the hood the same as the car paint would really dress up the engine.. For example I'm sure you saw wringos car at lexfest.. His engine is painted but not overly done.. I don't know about a kit.. I'm really not up to par with all the kits out there.. but i do know that the paint scheme is one of a kind and i wouldn't change it.. Also some jp tails would flow well with paint as well.. GL... Your car is tighttttt

Tony
Thanks for the suggestions and compliment Tony. I have been seriously thinking about getting the paint work done inside the engine bay I planned to have it done last year but moved out away from the company that had put the car together. I am hearing good things about a few guys in this area and probably will have that done before the new show season. Also here is a pic of my current trunk setup I may build on this for more of a wow effect. Maybe a few more TV's and a camera shooting the spectators at the show.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking ahead to 07... need opinions-lex-at-hin06_2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thinking ahead to 07... need opinions