GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 GS400 grinding noise when turning right

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06 | 07:16 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Default 98 GS400 grinding noise when turning right

Hello everyone,

I've searched old posts, but can't really say that I found an answer to my problem. When I turn right I can hear some kind of grinding/scraping noise from my driver's side front wheel. The wheel isn't rubbing anywhere, so my guess it's something with the brakes. I replaced the pads recently with OEM pads, but noise persists. Could it be a warped rotor? Sticking caliper? Why is it only making noise when turning right?

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Slo
Old 10-15-06 | 07:31 PM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

Here is what could be happening because i had the same problem.
My problem was in the rear. when i got my brake work, done i also replaced my rotors. After it was said and done i was driving and when i would turn corners i would hear this grinding problem, to make a long story short pull the tire off to where u think the grinding is coming from and, then pull the rotor off what had to be done was if i can remeber correctly when putting the rotor on it kind of lines up in a grove behind the rotor, when u turn u have metal to metal contact mine was @ the bottom so i had to do some grinding just take the rotor off and inspect the area where the rotor meets up if u see a shiny metal spot then thats where ur problem is. I wish that i can be a little more specific but it was in the beginning of the summer when i had my brake work done.

the other problem could be when ur brakes got done the person could have accidently bent ur dust cover.

Last edited by #1gs300; 10-15-06 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-16-06 | 07:24 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Thanks #1gs300,

I'm off tomorrow, so I'm going to go ahead and take the wheel and rotor off and see what I can find under there. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free.

Thanks again,

Slo
Old 10-18-06 | 03:52 PM
Flex33
Driver School Candidate

Default This Might Be The Problem Also

I Had The Same Kind Of Noise Coming From My Right Passenger Wheel, I Thought It Was The Brakes, Calipers, Rotors, But It Was Actually The Bearings ..
Old 10-18-06 | 07:40 PM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

So what was the problem slo.

Originally Posted by SloGS400
Thanks #1gs300,

I'm off tomorrow, so I'm going to go ahead and take the wheel and rotor off and see what I can find under there. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free.

Thanks again,

Slo
Old 10-18-06 | 08:11 PM
BBgs430
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an 05 gs430 and within one day i hear that grinding noise comming from under drivers side or front left wheel even when going staight slow or fast. I don't know how i could have missed that in the test drive. (not sure if it exsisted then or not) Anyway i drove home in a massive rainstorm last night. I will stop at lexus tommarow. Do you think this is a bearing problem?
Anyway ill let you guys know what they say.
Old 10-18-06 | 08:58 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

I highly doubt its a bearing problem. I mean your car is only 1yr old like mine. I drive pretty hard and so far no problems yet. Good thing in our case though, the car is still under warranty. Just take it in and they will fix it up for you no charge

Originally Posted by BBgs430
I just bought an 05 gs430 and within one day i hear that grinding noise comming from under drivers side or front left wheel even when going staight slow or fast. I don't know how i could have missed that in the test drive. (not sure if it exsisted then or not) Anyway i drove home in a massive rainstorm last night. I will stop at lexus tommarow. Do you think this is a bearing problem?
Anyway ill let you guys know what they say.
Old 10-18-06 | 10:43 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

i have the same noise
Old 10-19-06 | 08:20 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Sorry,

I haven't had a chance to get under there yet to check it out, it's always something, either work or the bad weather when I'm off. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be good.

I'll let yall know if I find anything.
Old 10-20-06 | 10:39 AM
NJLexusGS
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem on my 98GS300... It was the ball joint... I was hesitating to get it checked out and eventually pulling away from a pump at the gas station, the Ball Joint POPPED OUT... the whole suspension assembly fell to the ground... I got both replaced the same day... NO NOISE SINCE...

Get them done... parts and labor should run about $200 each side...
FYI .... If the ball joint pops out on the highway, you wont survive...
Old 10-20-06 | 02:07 PM
KMB57
Driver School Candidate

Angry Ball joint 98 GS300

Last year I had grinding noise from my left front tire, a week later while driving 60mph on expressway, my lower ball joint broke! Wheel went 90 degrees car skidded 75 feet, luckily no one was hit as I stopped before cement wall. 7K in repairs, covered by insurance. Now 10 months later I felt vibration on right front. Lexus said its not the other ball joint, said my tire was bad after charging 85 bucks for wheel balance. I installed 2 new front tires. Now I heard some grinding again. I searched the nhtsa website and found that Lexus had a recall on 97 GS for a faulty lower ball joint that breaks off cause of internal lubrication problem. Went back to Lexus, they couldnt hear the noise and said that recall didnt apply to the 98 GS. Sounds like BS.
Someone must have had this repaired on 98 GS 300...
Waiting impatiently for noise to return!
Old 10-20-06 | 07:36 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Well,

I came to the conclusion that the sound was coming from my rotor. It sounded like that the rotor had some uneven spots and kept coming in contact with the pads making the sound it was making. So I went to get my rotor turned and ended up getting it totally f****ed up. Now my whole car shakes when I apply the brakes, the shop apparently didn't know what they were doing.

M car drove and stopped just fine other than that occasional noise. Now I can't even drive my car since I can hardly get it to stop. I'm going to buy a new rotor tomorrow. Is it ok to just replace one rotor or should I go ahead and replace both. The other side is just fine, but I don't know if it's better to do both.

I'm really hoping that this was the cause of the noise I was hearing or I'll be pretty upset about messing up a rotor.

Is there a chance that my rotor can still be saved, the rotor is actually kind of rough to the touch it's not completely smooth. And when I brake it's almost like the pads are getting caught violently on the rotor instead of sliding across it gently and slowing it down.

Please help

Last edited by SloGS400; 10-20-06 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-21-06 | 10:21 AM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Just an update,

Bought a new rotor today and put it on. Noise is gone and no more shaking. The initial problem with hearing that noise upfront was apparently a slightly warped rotor, not enough to cause shaking when braking, but warped enough for the pads to come in contact with the rotor occassionaly and making noise. I guess that the pads slightly shifted whenever I turned right creating more contact thus the noise becoming more noticable on sharp turns.

Hope this helps someone else
Old 10-23-06 | 01:48 AM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

i hope thats all my problem is. thanks for reporting back
Old 10-23-06 | 10:23 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SloGS400
Just an update,

Bought a new rotor today and put it on. Noise is gone and no more shaking. The initial problem with hearing that noise upfront was apparently a slightly warped rotor, not enough to cause shaking when braking, but warped enough for the pads to come in contact with the rotor occassionaly and making noise. I guess that the pads slightly shifted whenever I turned right creating more contact thus the noise becoming more noticable on sharp turns.

Hope this helps someone else
Did u have to replace the pads too?

Quick Reply: 98 GS400 grinding noise when turning right