GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2002 Navigation System Diagnostics (including display and A/C)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 07:12 PM
audax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... That's all I've got.

If anyone finds information on an advanced audio menu like the 98-00 models have (edit woofer and EQ settings) please share.
Old 10-18-06, 07:54 PM
audax
Pole Position

Air Conditioning Diagnostics

1. With the ignition OFF, hold down the AUTO and RECYCLE/FRESH buttons.
2. While still holding those buttons, turn the ignition to ON.
3. The CLIMATE screen will be displayed and all the icons will flash simultaneously several times.
4. An error code will be displayed in the top left corner. If everything is OK, it will flash "21" and then "24".

Pressing the RECYCLE/FRESH button will run the diagnostics on all modes. This is used to check that all the vents, doors and motors inside the dash are working. The diagnostics will automatically proceed through each step. You can press the driver/master temperature up and down buttons to manual skip ahead to the next test. Pressing the AUTO button takes you back to the beginning (flashing "21" and "24" if everything is OK).

If you switch to the Map or Audio section, a box will still stay on the screen titled DIAGNOSIS, and the codes will continue to flash. Turn the ignition to OFF to stop the tests.
Old 10-18-06, 08:58 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what an awesome thread!!!

just to add to this thread
for 2001 models (2nd generation DVD nav)
you need to press the "System Info" icon instead of the DVD icon as part of the nav override trick

this deserves to be stickied!
Old 10-20-06, 12:28 AM
lexi4darin
Driver

Well played Audax. Well played indeed.
Old 10-20-06, 01:22 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome job.
Old 10-20-06, 07:36 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Very nice work GREAT write up
Old 10-21-06, 07:39 AM
rjgraham
Driver

nice job dude
Old 10-22-06, 11:43 PM
audax
Pole Position

Thanks for the kind feedback.

As for the Mark Levinson systems having a "secret" menu to tune woofer settings... Unfornately, I don't think this exists like it does on the 98-00 models with Pioneer systems. From the research I've done, only the Pioneer manufactured systems ever included this "secret" tuning menu. Mark Levinson hasn't done nearly has much car audio or OEM equipment manufacturing as Pioneer has so it's not likely they would go through the trouble to integrate the amplifier as much with the CAN-bus system. Pioneer on the other hand has plenty of experience with this (very similar to the protocol on their CD changers) so they could easily add it.

Again, this just my guess so don't take it as gospel, but I'm 95% positive that no such menu existings for us ML owners. :-(
Old 10-23-06, 03:31 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Unfortunately, the "override" setting for the navigation interface seems temporary.

I've played with this setting after reading Audax's great post. I can get the override to work (so that I don't have to have the car in park to play with features on the navi, which is way coo'). However, when the car is turned off and left to sit for more than 60 seconds, the override feature is changed to the default position.

I'm assuming that this feature is designed for dealer technicians when they are running diagnostics. I can see how it would enable them to check certain parts of the navigation unit with no limitations. Maybe this helps the tech do systems checks faster?

However, I think its dumb that after changing the feature it returns to its default settings. Preventing you from using certain features while the car is not in Park is a great idea. However, after I've read the all warning on the navi screen and in the car manual and after I've gone through all the hassle of using the override feature, it would be nice if it was permanent. It is very practical that I could disable this feature so my passengers can use the navigation unit.

Does anyone know of a more permanent way to disable this feature?
Old 10-23-06, 05:57 PM
audax
Pole Position

Yeah, the override mode is automatically turned off when the ignition is turned off. The permanent solution would be a device that automatically sends the navigation ECU into "override" mode when you turn the car on. Such a device is made for the Prius and at least one CL member has reported that it works on the GS.

Here is the device: http://www.coastaletech.com/nav_kit.htm
Old 10-23-06, 10:21 PM
bandgap112
Rookie

Can we cut/jump some wire in the back of the head unit, to fool it into thinking that the car is parked, like the bypass mod in LX470, and the 3G GS3/4?
Old 10-23-06, 11:05 PM
audax
Pole Position

No. The navigation ECU monitors the speed signal to determine if the car is moving or not. If you cut the speed signal, then the unit will not be able to determine the speed of the car when it's not registered with a GPS satelitte. Basically, the navigation will not function correctly.
Old 10-24-06, 02:16 PM
Nevada3
Driver

Hey Audax, do you remember who said it worked on the 2gen GS? I would love to buy that "nav kit" if I knew for sure it would work.
Old 10-24-06, 09:24 PM
audax
Pole Position

The member's name was krburell. Here is the original thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219060

According to him, the Costaletech kit only works with the 4th gen navigation system which was only used on some 2005 models.

I've just fired an email off to Costaletech inquirying about this. I'll share their response when it comes.
Old 10-25-06, 01:22 PM
krburell
Rookie

Originally Posted by audax
The member's name was krburell. Here is the original thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219060

According to him, the Costaletech kit only works with the 4th gen navigation system which was only used on some 2005 models.

I've just fired an email off to Costaletech inquirying about this. I'll share their response when it comes.
I have one of Costaletech's older modules and I tried it on the 3rd and 4th gen navi systems and it only worked on the 4th gen system. They have some newer modules now so I'm not sure how well those will work on the older navi systems.

-keith

Quick Reply: 2002 Navigation System Diagnostics (including display and A/C)