GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Success with Remote Start on Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 06:25 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Success with Remote Start on Lexus GS

It was by far one of the most difficult projects I have ever undertaken on a car. Mounting was difficult, wiring was next to impossible. If I had known it was so much work I would not have started it. Now that it is over I will do it again on my wife's car if only to increase the resale value and she will never let me have something she does not. It took me 4 whole days and due to time constraints I could not complete it it consecutive days so I had to lock it up in my workshop and drive my truck for the last 2 weeks until I finished it today. Now that I know what to do I should be able to complete another install in a few hours.

I started with a Directed Electronics DEI 561T ($69.95) remote start module and DEI 555x ($24.00) immobilizer bypass module both purchased on ebay. I found several issues primarily with the remote start module supplying power to wires that are supplied power from different leads with the ignition switch. I find this difficult to explain other than it will cross power source wires imbalancing loads and fuse capacities. To avoid this I used relays to make sure loads get their power from the intended source. There are so many wires to connect and the manuals are of no help in locating where to connect the wires. The manual mentions things like connect the violet wire with the white stripe to the tachometer wire, connect the yellow wire to the brake switch etc. with no indication of which wire to connect to and where you might find it. I had a lot of help buying a remote start and alarm installation manual on ebay from ebay member caralarmpros that was specifically for the Lexus GS. The $8.99 price for the manual was well worth it and I would not have been able to complete the install without it. They let me know where to find wires and which color they would be.

The remote start works flawlessly and does not require a separate remote. I currently have it set to activate with 2 unlock pulses. If only I could increase the range of the remote!!! I don't really have the time to do a full PDF write-up and step by step install right now but I will do my best to answer any technical questions anyone might have regarding installing one of these. It would be a terrible waste to keep it all to myself.
Old 10-20-06, 07:08 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought the same remote start module and haven't installed it yet. can you take detailed pics of the install and the wiring setup?
Old 10-20-06, 08:24 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

FYI: i dont believe you need a bypass module for this, what you couldve done was to go to a lexus dealer and get a key copied with the wireless immobilizer code in it and just hide the key under the dash or in a box
Old 10-20-06, 09:23 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

Default Update

Attached are the photos of the modules and wiring mounted to a piece of tinted plexiglass on the back side of the ABS module. It was the only place I could find in the area that provided enough room to mount everything securely. It was a lot of trial and error in attaching the plexiglass to the module and then cutting it to make sure all the panels could fit back into place. It is a clean and solid install. Every wire connection is soldered, heat shrink tubing covered, taped and tie wrapped. The last thing you want is to get stranded somewhere because of your poor quality work. Remote start is great but not if it disables your ride at the worst possible time.

I have to disagree with fellow member "Deception". Why would I go get a key? Would it cost me less than the $24.00 I paid for the immobilizer module? I think not. Besides, the car will not start if it does not sense a key in the ignition. This is something only the immobilizer module can do. When I remote start the steering wheel extends as if I inserted the key. This is because there is a wire coming from the module that you connect to the key sense wire so it fools the security system into thinking the key has been inserted.

This being said it does reduce the security of the system. The car is not likely to be stolen because the mechanical key lock has not been bypassed thus the steering wheel does not turn. Also you must press the brake pedal to get the car out of park unless you use the bypass next to the shifter and then you must use the brake while driving. Any pressing of the brake pedal will shut down the remote start system. To steal the car you would have to destroy the mechanical key lock to get the steering wheel to turn and you would have to find the wire connected to the remote start and the brake circuit. I did not connect it at the brake pedal switch. I suppose you could unplug the harness at the brake switch but it is not easily reached. Anyway if the remote system does not see the key turned on within the predetermined time, it shuts down which means if it is stolen, the thieves won't get very far.
Attached Thumbnails Success with Remote Start on Lexus GS-remotestart.jpg  

Last edited by Exsys2000; 10-21-06 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-20-06, 09:25 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

This is the picture of the ABS computer with the plexiglass attached to the back of it.
Attached Thumbnails Success with Remote Start on Lexus GS-remotestart2.jpg  
Old 10-20-06, 10:43 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

There is a local company that installs remote starters. My wife requested one for her car about three years ago. I had it installed thinking it was pretty much worthless. Found out that it was worth it's weight in gold. It's been a while ago, but as I remember, they quoted me about $400.00 installed. It uses a separate remote but the range is around 1000 feet. We have no problems starting my wifes car from inside restaurants.
If you had it to do all over again, do you think it would be worth the extra $ to have it installed?
Thanks
Bill
Old 10-20-06, 11:47 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

hmm- you make a good point about the range still being terrible without the added unit to unlock/remote start the car. maybe i'll put my unit on my gf's rav 4. she has great range and she's not used to the heat here in AZ.

guess it's back to the drawing board for me.
Old 10-21-06, 07:12 PM
Exsys2000
Driver

If I had to do over again I would not do it at all or I would pay to have it installed but I am funny about people working on my car. I don't think anyone else would have gone through the measures I took to make it mount solid and secure. I still like it and will enjoy using it. I am glad I don't have to have a separate remote. I like it simple. I have only my key and a Lexus keychain pendant that I got from the dealership when I got the car. My other keys are on a separate ring.
Old 01-21-07, 08:49 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Nice job Exsys2000, I've been wondering how difficult this job is
Old 01-21-07, 04:01 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Default Remote Starter

I purchased a remote starter and a sense-o-shock unit for my gs from a member here and installed it all in about 30 mins. Very simple and works great. Definately worth it also uses stock key. just push lock 3 times and it turns on. Also i just hid a spare key in the dash and no need for immobilizer. Guess it might make it easier to steal but then again that is what the alarm is for. Actually either way insurance would cover it. The shock unit is also great. I have caught 3 people that bumped my car or opend their doors and hit my car due to me hearing the alarm now that it has the shock unit.
Old 01-22-07, 06:39 PM
russian
Driver

why did you buy that remote start when you could have just used the luxlink which is supposed to be a much easier install and uses the factory remote
Old 01-23-07, 02:14 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by russian
why did you buy that remote start when you could have just used the luxlink which is supposed to be a much easier install and uses the factory remote
This does not fix the range problem since the OEM remote is still used.
Old 01-23-07, 02:40 PM
russian
Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
This does not fix the range problem since the OEM remote is still used.
i suppose, the range is not a big issue for me though
Old 12-20-07, 06:31 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Default Does the remote unlock/lock doors while remote started?

Do the door still unlock and lock while the car is remote started? Or do they stay unlocked while it is running?
Old 12-20-07, 06:47 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did u know that if u open ur mouth and hold the remote under your chin you get better range?

hahahahaha its true!

Quick Reply: Success with Remote Start on Lexus GS