GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

A way to ruin mine and AJ's day...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 03:04 AM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A way to ruin mine and AJ's day...

Well, he got his fixed for a damn good price. Here is the damage to my car. It's in the same spot as AJ's but didn't crack since it's not fiberglass. They did manage to scrape it so hard that the polyurethane seems to be sanded down a bit and grooved in. I parked it in front of my school. I thought I'd do VIP parking since I was late anyways. Well, the one and only day I park there and this is what I find.
Attached Thumbnails A way to ruin mine and AJ's day...-hit-and-run-009.jpg  
Old 10-21-06, 03:09 AM
sleeper408

Another angle..... I was really close to purchasing a pre-painted TTE lip from Sewell, but.... now I have to get the bumper repainted. My roomate told me it wouldn't be too much since silver is a common color, they can spray that one spot and sand it down until the silver matches the rest of the car, and then spray clearcoat over and then buff it. Is this true? Or would I have to get the whole bumper repainted?
Attached Thumbnails A way to ruin mine and AJ's day...-hit-and-run-010.jpg  
Old 10-21-06, 03:21 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Another angle..... I was really close to purchasing a pre-painted TTE lip from Sewell, but.... now I have to get the bumper repainted. My roomate told me it wouldn't be too much since silver is a common color, they can spray that one spot and sand it down until the silver matches the rest of the car, and then spray clearcoat over and then buff it. Is this true? Or would I have to get the whole bumper repainted?

ur roomate is right... now, many may argue here to get the WHOLE bumper repainted so it will look good, which i would agree with if it wasnt for my 1st hand experience with this. my body shop guy GARAUNTEES his work and somehow (i think someone hit my bumper ) the paint started cracking. since i had NO CLUE how it happened, i took it to him and said, look, the paint is cracking. since he garaunteed his work, he fixed it. but he ONLY FIXED THE MESSED UP AREA (left side of front bumper)... and he told me that he was gonna do that before he started (which made me mad b/c i thought it would come out lookin off)... well, when he was finished, i SWEAR I COULDNT TELL!!! it was incredible. so im sold on that idea. if money is the object here, then definitely go that route AS LONG AS THE BODY SHOP WILL GARAUNTEE their work. it looks bad, but nothin that cant be fixed... sorry about the mishap and good luck
Old 10-21-06, 07:24 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn , must bad luck week or something good thing it's only paint and no body work needed , good luck man and keep us updated . Love the title BTW
Old 10-21-06, 08:20 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only costed me $250 to repaint my front bumper. Most of the prep work was already done by yours truly though... THe bodyshop had to do minimal sanding and just paint it.
Old 10-21-06, 11:00 AM
Racerx0911
Pole Position

the guy in town re-painted my fender on my bimmer for 150...and you could never tell it was! sry for your luck man...
Old 10-21-06, 02:41 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Also I gotta mention, if you repaint the whole bumper, you have to get a new "chrome line" thing from the dealership that runs across the bumper. I think it's around $70.
Old 10-21-06, 04:04 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Also I gotta mention, if you repaint the whole bumper, you have to get a new "chrome line" thing from the dealership that runs across the bumper. I think it's around $70.
Can I have the shop just tape over the little chrome strip?
Old 10-21-06, 04:56 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Can I have the shop just tape over the little chrome strip?
You might, but when they clear coat it, you'll notice it when you touch it. Perhaps they can sand it down.

I've had a car repainted once and had them cover this rare emblem. When the clearcoat comes on, and they take the tape off, there was a fine boarder where the tape used to be.

It'd be better to ask the shop. They'd prob just tell you to buy a new one anyways.
Old 10-21-06, 06:26 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I had my rear bumper repainted and they just taped over the chrome strip. It looks fine to me. I don't see any issue with the clearcoat.
Old 10-21-06, 10:24 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Sorry to see this happen.
Old 10-21-06, 10:57 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Man that's sucks... But painting the whole bumper should make it look like nothin happened.
Old 10-22-06, 03:09 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having my front bumper and right fender done at the shop right now. I need the whole front bumper to be painted as well as a new passenger side marker light and painting of the right front fender. I'm having the hood painted too since I have paint chips from road rocks. My repair will be about $2000.00. For that kind of money, it better be good!
Old 10-22-06, 03:15 AM
sleeper408

Any guesses on how much it's gonna cost to have the whole rear bumper painted?
Old 10-22-06, 08:05 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Man I hate seeing stuff like this ....

Quick Reply: A way to ruin mine and AJ's day...