GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bypass amp or use it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 07:06 PM
chubb74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass amp or use it?

I am planning my install of my Double-din Navi unti. I love the sound as it is now. Nak Headunit- Pioneer cd changer and Kicker free air sub. Can I keep the exact same set up and have the factory amp with my Navi unit or will I have to add am aftermarket amp to acheive the same audio quality as before with the factory audio? I have searched for a few hours but have not received a definitive answer. I know someone here has that final yes or no. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 10-26-06, 07:43 PM
BlackoutGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chubb74
I am planning my install of my Double-din Navi unti. I love the sound as it is now. Nak Headunit- Pioneer cd changer and Kicker free air sub. Can I keep the exact same set up and have the factory amp with my Navi unit or will I have to add am aftermarket amp to acheive the same audio quality as before with the factory audio? I have searched for a few hours but have not received a definitive answer. I know someone here has that final yes or no. Thanks for the help in advance.
if it is an Eclipse Nav unit, i am pretty sure that everything will plug up fine. Since toyota owns like 40% of Eclipse they make all Eclipse head units plug and play for toyotas/lexus.
Old 10-26-06, 08:34 PM
CRSO
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you just swap out the stock for the kicker sub? How much better does it sound? And which kicker f/a do you have?

Thanks...
Old 10-27-06, 06:37 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CRSO
Did you just swap out the stock for the kicker sub? How much better does it sound? And which kicker f/a do you have?

Thanks...
to add to this question ......kicker sub powered by stock amp?
Old 10-27-06, 06:43 AM
chubb74
Driver

Not sure about the model number of Kicker but yes it is powered by stock amp. The unit is a jensen so for the plug and play I believe it is a no go. My question was will the sound be better or worse after I change the headunit without the stock amp. If better then cool but if worse is there some way to get the amp to work with the new headunit?
Old 10-27-06, 06:53 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default this is confusing

Originally Posted by TOTL_ECLPS
if it is an Eclipse Nav unit, i am pretty sure that everything will plug up fine. Since toyota owns like 40% of Eclipse they make all Eclipse head units plug and play for toyotas/lexus.
I have an eclipse unit there was no harness available to make the install plug and play for the gs.
if u have come across any please share the info.
Old 10-27-06, 07:14 AM
chubb74
Driver

OLDDOG does your sub work and does it sound the same or better as your stock system did before?
Old 10-27-06, 08:26 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When I initially installed my AVIC-D1 we tried to power up the stock amp.
It has two turn on switches and we could not get the amp to stay powered up- apparently the turn-on leads flip-flop somehow.

We abandoned the factory amp. The OE Nak speakers sounded okay, but I had no sub. I could not find any harnesses that were plug-and-play with the Nak head unit.
Old 10-27-06, 08:43 AM
chubb74
Driver

Socal did you try to hard wire the sub to the radio directly? I am dreading this situation because the sub is what I need the most.
Old 10-27-06, 03:51 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hey

OLDDOG does your sub work and does it sound the same or better as your stock system did before?
unfortunately, i have not wired the sub. am waiting on a mon amp to wire it. i have a pair of 10" bazookas in a box(the box will not fit in that extra space in the trunk ), think i might reduce the size of the box. but don't know if i want to use them.

Originally Posted by socal
Socal did you try to hard wire the sub to the radio directly? I am dreading this situation because the sub is what I need the most.
i don't think the unit can carry the speakers and still supply the sub with the neccessary power.get another amp and just add that to the sub.