GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wow, EVO tests the 2GS 430 (sport)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 09:49 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Wow, EVO tests the 2GS 430 (sport)

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...430_sport.html

Lexus GS430 Sport
Rating:

Exclusive to the UK market, the GS430 Sport is flawed and yet surprisingly good in parts
By Jethro Bovingdon

September 2003
Just what is the Lexus GS430 Sport trying to be? I must confess I don't really know as I approach the hulking black saloon, cheap-looking key in hand, and fire-up its V8 engine. At least, I think I've fired it up. The rev-counter is showing definite signs of life, but I can't actually hear it. Okay, so it's refined. And, according to the press literature, it's ΂£39,995. That puts it up against Jaguar S-type 4.2, BMW 545i and Mercedes E500. Which means it had better be good.

From the driver's seat things don't look promising. The dash is predominantly shiny black plastic with a smattering of black wood trim on the centre console; the architecture is simple and clean but uninspired. The switches are made of brittle plastic, the steering wheel could be out of an MR2, and I'm already bored. Oh dear. Not even the funky illuminated instruments lift the ambience sufficiently to stand comparison with the new 5-Series.

Truth is, this second generation GS is getting old. It was introduced with a 3-litre straight-six back in 1998 and then revised in 2000, which was also when Lexus's silken 4.3-litre V8 from the LS430 was dropped into the GS.

And now we have the UK-only GS430 Sport. With lower, stiffer suspension and standard 18in alloys with 245/40 Z-rated rubber and some purposeful but subtle styling additions, the GS has finally charted on the evo radar. It may be the winter of the GS's life, but Toyota knows how to make a car handle, so this could be something of a surprise package.

That engine truly is remarkable, inaudible pottering through town and unerringly smooth when you're demanding all 279bhp. But the silence of the engine enhances the wind and road noise. It's not drastic - in fact, you may not notice it in a normal car with a normal engine - but those big tyres generate perceptible roar on concrete surfaces and occasionally the ride gets agitated over scarred tarmac. A little communication through the steering and seat about the quality of the road surface is no bad thing, though. Especially in a car labelled 'Sport'.

Surprisingly, it lives up to that tag admirably in several respects. Grip is strong and body-roll kept in check, even as the front starts gently to understeer. If you've switched off the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) you can neutralise the GS's stance with a dab of power; you'll get a flare of inside wheelspin but then the big Lexus locks onto line in a proper four-wheel drift, front and rear wheels slipping in perfect harmony. It's a remarkable display of poise for such a big machine. More power will send the car progressively sideways but it's so much more satisfying to keep things neutral and tidy. The steering is a little aloof but it's quick and accurate and the brakes just about cope with a full-on assault, despite some worrying noises when you're slowing for a tight bend.

Unfortunately, other elements of the Sport try to prevent you uncovering the latent talent of the chassis. The gearbox is the biggest culprit. It shifts exceptionally smoothly on the way up through the gears but lacks a usable manual over-ride. There are no paddles, buttons or even a Tiptronic-style fore-aft movement built into the gate. Try to shift with the lever and the 'box loses its composure, particularly on downshifts. Worse still, it's programmed to hold on to a high gear once you're up to speed, so you never get any useful engine braking. This 'Torque Activated Powertrain' might sound good in theory - it prevents 'constant gearshifts' - but when you've tired of wafting it's a real dynamic weakness.

In terms of design, equipment, sophistication and image, the Lexus GS430 can't cut it with the best from Europe. But it does have some trump cards. The 4.3-litre V8 is extraordinarily refined and feels strong despite stodgy throttle response, it's built to an incredibly high standard and it's got a genuinely capable chassis.

If the next-generation GS430 can close the desirability gap to the newer Euro offerings while retaining that sparkling chassis balance, Lexus might just find itself with the world-beater that it has always wanted.
Old 10-27-06, 10:17 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.. I hope that balljoint doesn't snap! LOL