GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How Much Does Lexus Charge For A Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 11:07 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Go to the website I gave you, it's $53 + shipping. I'm not sure if that includes cutting the key but that would probably only be like $10 more. I bought my master key from them. Good people to deal with.
Old 10-29-06, 11:26 AM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you really need the whole key that is cut with remote. I paid $197.xx at the dealer, then they want like $75 to program it. I programmed it myself for free. I would think you only need the transponder chip. you can buy a key (none remote) and program it to your car, or just pick up and old remote key, program it for the car, then use just the remote insert in the key. Hope that makes sense. They also sell transponder interups (i think thats the name) that go into the car and you dont need a key. Just my idea.
Old 10-29-06, 11:27 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
Go to the website I gave you, it's $53 + shipping. I'm not sure if that includes cutting the key but that would probably only be like $10 more. I bought my master key from them. Good people to deal with.
I went to the site; thanks for the link KANDEL25. I'll use this site instead of the E-bay route for this purchase. I hope that I can use my valet key for the system just like how you were able to do.
Old 10-29-06, 11:31 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EFMJR
Do you really need the whole key that is cut with remote. I paid $197.xx at the dealer, then they want like $75 to program it. I programmed it myself for free. I would think you only need the transponder chip. you can buy a key (none remote) and program it to your car, or just pick up and old remote key, program it for the car, then use just the remote insert in the key. Hope that makes sense. They also sell transponder interups (i think thats the name) that go into the car and you dont need a key. Just my idea.
Good point, you don't really need the key to be cut so you save yourself a few bucks. As long as you program it you should be fine.
Old 10-29-06, 02:07 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
Good point, you don't really need the key to be cut so you save yourself a few bucks. As long as you program it you should be fine.
I would think also, if you have a cut key in your dash, If someone breaks into your car and find the hidden key in the dash, now they can easyly start the car and drive off. yea, i know it will be work to get to the key, but they wont have to work on the hotwireing to start. Just dont like the idea of a good key left in my car. Thats why I just start my car myself, and not have remote start. Just my $0.02.
Old 10-29-06, 11:48 PM
biggie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Viper alarm today

The Viper 791 with remote start, proximity sensor, door locks, and truck release took 5 hours.

I went with the DEI bypass.....555x.....make sure you get the DEI one. It works great.

Also I recommend getting a proximity sensor, get DEI as well.
Old 11-02-06, 08:40 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by biggie
The Viper 791 with remote start, proximity sensor, door locks, and truck release took 5 hours.
That's pretty damn quick if you asked me.
Old 11-02-06, 08:44 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

What's DEI?
Old 11-03-06, 04:50 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikevanle
What's DEI?
Directed Electronics Incorparated. They are the company that make the bypass modules which allows cars with factory anti-theft systems to start when a remote-start system (ie:Viper 791) is installed.
Old 11-03-06, 07:40 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Directed Electronics Incorparated. They are the company that make the bypass modules which allows cars with factory anti-theft systems to start when a remote-start system (ie:Viper 791) is installed.
They're actually the parent company of like 12 different product companies like viper, clifford, etc.
Old 11-03-06, 11:10 AM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
That's pretty damn quick if you asked me.
that is pretty quick. Mine took about 8hrs, luckly my cousins boyfriend did it for FREE!

But to clear up some of the confusion about whether it would be ok to use the valet key. It would be ok because you are only using it as a bypass for the chip that is inside. The remote being in proximity does not make a difference.
Old 11-03-06, 11:22 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Default OK Check This Scenario Out!

Originally Posted by BLK98GS3
that is pretty quick. Mine took about 8hrs, luckly my cousins boyfriend did it for FREE!

But to clear up some of the confusion about whether it would be ok to use the valet key. It would be ok because you are only using it as a bypass for the chip that is inside. The remote being in proximity does not make a difference.
I had the day off today and decided why not try and seeif I can have my remote start installed today even though I'm scheduled for next Saturday. No luck! But hear this, I spoke with a different guy (looked very young like out of high school) at the shop and asked him about the need for a key in order for my remote start to work properly. He said that key is only required for when they configure the bypass which in this case is probably made by DEI since the shop only had their products on display. So, I get to keep all of my keys and there's no need to buy another key and have it programmed. Right or wrong??
Old 11-03-06, 08:50 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

That really depends. They need to measure the resistor value in the key to either use a new resistor or just pull it out of the key.

The downside to remote start systems is that now, almost anything can be used to start your car since the factory lockout feature is essentially deactivated.

Basically, before, if someone broke your lock, they couldn't start the car since the car couldn't see the proper resistance.
But now, if someone broke the lock, they could start your car since the resistor is hard wired into place.
Old 11-04-06, 02:13 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
That really depends. They need to measure the resistor value in the key to either use a new resistor or just pull it out of the key.

The downside to remote start systems is that now, almost anything can be used to start your car since the factory lockout feature is essentially deactivated.

Basically, before, if someone broke your lock, they couldn't start the car since the car couldn't see the proper resistance.
But now, if someone broke the lock, they could start your car since the resistor is hard wired into place.
Does that hold true if you have an alarm with it? Cuz mine will have the alarm installed (since sold as Viper alarm/remote-start) which I hope will make it very difficult for the thief to haul off.
Old 11-04-06, 03:02 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

I just did a little test since I have a cut key that has not been programmed yet. Here are the results:

If I remote start the car when the alarm is disarmed and I use my key i can drive away with the car.

If the car is not armed and I just try to start the car with the unprogrammed key it still will not start.

This tells me that my car is still secure even with a key in the immobilizer. So I think you are ok.

There is an immobilizer out there made by someone other than DEI that does not require you to have your key in the car. However, my cousin's boyfriend, who did my install, who used to work at a very high end car stero/alarm shop, told me that you can use that one but it is not as reliable as the DEI one. That is why I went ahead and spend the extra money to get the DEI one and get another key made. Hope this helps.

Ken

Quick Reply: How Much Does Lexus Charge For A Key