GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How Much Does Lexus Charge For A Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-06, 02:59 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Much Does Lexus Charge For A Key

I went to the shop where I'm going to have my Viper alarm/remote start installed soon. The guy said that he recommends going to the dealer and having another key made and programmed since one will be used for the install. Anyone knows how much I'll have to fork over to get one made?
Old 10-28-06, 07:31 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't be surprised on a two hundred plus figure.
Old 10-28-06, 08:03 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost close to $300.00 after taxes in CA.
Old 10-28-06, 08:48 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

List is 290.
Old 10-28-06, 08:48 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

There's someone selling one for $75 in the FS Section.
Old 10-28-06, 09:42 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

All you need is a valet key. Go to www.lexus-parts.com. It's like $50 or so.
Old 10-29-06, 04:49 AM
chubb74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true on the valet key. The reason is the car will not start without the remote or transmitter within range. If you are in the house and the remote is with you it will not start if you have a valet key in there. $2XX is about right.
Old 10-29-06, 07:11 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

WHAT!!!!
Is there gold inside that thing. LOL. Oh well I'll just have to bite the bullet.
Thanks all!
Old 10-29-06, 07:25 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chubb74
Not true on the valet key.
:wtf:

That's why it's called a valet key! It starts the engine, and that's it! Perhaps it opens the doors too, but it can't open the glove box, trunk, etc.

When you get your car serviced at Lexus, and get a loaner, guess what key they give you?!?! That's right, they give you a valet key!
Old 10-29-06, 07:30 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to have a viper remote start put in too. I went to the dealership and they told me that it costs $300 and it would have to be ordered cause they don't cut keys at the dealership.

I found a guy on ebay, here's his link for a gs key with the transponder. He's got 700+ 100% positive feedback so he seems legit. He also offers a money back guarantee if you send a picture of the key to him.

He will sell you the key, cut it and give you the instructions to program the key for $50 shipped. Let me know if you find a better deal somewhere else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0032385203&rd=
Old 10-29-06, 07:39 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

There a lot of crap on E-Bay don't go cheap on this one you'll pay for it in the long run trust me
Old 10-29-06, 08:17 AM
movinquick
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
There a lot of crap on E-Bay don't go cheap on this one you'll pay for it in the long run trust me
I agree with you, ebay is a haven for low quality items, I bought some fake Lacoste shirts last year. But there's also a lot of good deals on ebay. Its up to the bidder to shuffle through the garbage. This particular seller has served almost 800 people with zero negative feedback. All he deals with are keys. If he was selling bootleg (low quality) keys then there would be a few negative feedbacks, no?

I called him and he seemed very informative on which key would be the right one for me (I was originally looking at the shell which doesn't have a transponder I need for the remote start). He pointed me to the right key.

Anyway, Lexus Kid.. I noticed you have a viper 791, right? Do you have remote start? Where would be your suggestion for finding the best price for a valet key or should I just suck it up and pay $300 at the dealer?
Old 10-29-06, 08:28 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

If you buy a valet key at the dealership, it'll be around $60. Most of the cost is involved in the transmitter for the "keyless" entry (I put it in quote because the transmitter is built into the key, lol).

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=91

A key is a key to me. If it works, it serves its purpose. There is no middle ground.
Old 10-29-06, 08:58 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chubb74
Not true on the valet key. The reason is the car will not start without the remote or transmitter within range. If you are in the house and the remote is with you it will not start if you have a valet key in there. $2XX is about right.
I"m telling him it's only a valet key that you need because I had a Viper alarm/starter installed in August. When I bought the car they gave me a master key and a valet key. I had a master key made just in case I lost my one master key. When I had the alarm/starter put in, I gave them my valet key so they could put it in the car. There's also another part that he can have put in that costs like $40 or $50, I think it's 555x something like that. Either way he won't need another master key. If a valet key starts the car, it will work for the remote starter.
Old 10-29-06, 10:56 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
I"m telling him it's only a valet key that you need because I had a Viper alarm/starter installed in August. When I bought the car they gave me a master key and a valet key. I had a master key made just in case I lost my one master key. When I had the alarm/starter put in, I gave them my valet key so they could put it in the car. There's also another part that he can have put in that costs like $40 or $50, I think it's 555x something like that. Either way he won't need another master key. If a valet key starts the car, it will work for the remote starter.
The guy at the shop also mentioned the dealer charging me between $60 - $70 for a replacement which now looks to be for a valet key. Hey if the valet key does the trick then no problem. I'll confirm with the guy and get back.

Quick Reply: How Much Does Lexus Charge For A Key