GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New GS model

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-01, 03:03 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GS model

Maybe it's me, but I'm a little concerned with how the next-gen GS will look like. I say this because of the divided opinion over the current ES (at least the exterior) and how they removed the extra set of headlights on the SC430. I'm not completely overwhelmed with the IS300, and to be honest I think the GS doesn't need alot of improvement aesthetically, although the 5 brakelights are a bit much. I assume they'll add more toys inside, hopefully the fantastic illuminescent dash concept stays (why the SC didn't borrow this is beyond me, they have the 3 oval cutouts, why not go all the way ?? I found the change between the 1st gen. GS and the 2nd to be drastic in a good way (although both are nice in their own right), but I hope the 3rd gen isn't so drastic to be a mistake either. Add to the fact that there are never any spyshots of Lexus, and the anticipation kills me all the more !!!
Old 10-20-01, 03:15 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree im so inlove with that GS now that i dont think i'll be able to accept a new gen GS...

i really dong know at least you have your GS now, who says you have to get rid of it?
Old 10-20-01, 03:33 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I agree Sasha, I still love my GS, although like most this style has been around almost unchanged for almost 4 years, so everyone is dying to see what Lexus has up it's sleeve to top this one.. The new ES from the front looks like it's smiling at me !! And the fact that they literally borrowed the rear window design from the GS scares me into thinking that they've run out of ideas, and the rear lights look an awful lot like the Solara ones. And is it me, or do the Camry rear lenses look just like the Prius lenses ?! I know, I know, Lexus and Toyota are siblings, but how do you call a car "all-new" when it borrows almost exact design concepts from another car in the SAME family !!! I have a sneeking suspicion that they'll pull a "C-class" and integrate the 4 headlights into 2 on the new GS, maybe because I'm so taken with the current GS setup.
Old 10-20-01, 04:27 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I hope they don't turn a good thing bad. The GS is the only sedan IMO that looks the best with 20's on.
Old 10-20-01, 05:14 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope it will come with optional interior trims like aluminum or carbon fiber. A sport sedan can't lack those.

and the only way the instrument cluster can be improved is by doing this:

Old 10-20-01, 06:38 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Whats the time frame for a Gen 3 Gs to come out???
Old 10-20-01, 06:45 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

late 03, early 04.....lexus wants to see what up with the next e-class and 5 series that are due out next year
Old 10-21-01, 05:24 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Globe, I certainly hope the dash doesn't look like that. It reminds me of one of those vehicles in Tron (showing my age).

Will, I disagree with your rational for when they will be releasing the next GS. I don't think they would, or could, wait for their competition to come up with a new vehicle before deciding on their own. It takes a very long time to design a new vehicle, not to mention how long it takes to get the line ready to produce it. Except for very small, minor changes, I truly believe nothing will change because of what the competition does. The same thing goes for Merc and BMW, once they start planning they are pretty much locked into it.
Old 10-21-01, 08:54 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T,

let me add one more factor: the GS is on a 6-year model cycle. so the 3rd gen GS should be here in late 03, or early 04, as an 04 model. just my conclusion
Old 10-21-01, 09:02 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by theanimala
Globe, I certainly hope the dash doesn't look like that. It reminds me of one of those vehicles in Tron (showing my age).

Will, I disagree with your rational for when they will be releasing the next GS. I don't think they would, or could, wait for their competition to come up with a new vehicle before deciding on their own. It takes a very long time to design a new vehicle, not to mention how long it takes to get the line ready to produce it. Except for very small, minor changes, I truly believe nothing will change because of what the competition does. The same thing goes for Merc and BMW, once they start planning they are pretty much locked into it.

The all-digital instrument panel/gauges is totally high-tech and very functional. Nothing's more sportier than that.

I would have to say, Toyota/Lexus can, and WILL wait for the new 5 and E to be released. The longest thing that developing a car takes is designing the interior and the exterior. Engines, parts, bolt-ons, wheels, etc. can all be changed in a matter of days. All Toyota needs now is to design the new interior, exterior, decide on the drivetrain (most likely still FR......... I hope they have some sort of awd option), and wait for the new E and 5. Say the new 545 gets a very powerful 340hp engine, Toyota has a months to reconsider the engine options, or even just improve on the ones they've decided. Say the new E gets a very neat COMAND-II system or something, Toyota throws 2 screens on the new GS....... You see it really isn't that hard to wait I don't think.
Old 10-23-01, 05:27 AM
TMan
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Here's what the rumor mill is saying...

My rumor mill by the way is my sales rep at Lexus of Orlando (FL). He's a good friend and golfing buddy.

Lexus has set it's sites squarely on the BMW 540 and M5 for the next generation...which has created a need for a standard model GS with (350 HP), yes 350. and a performance model that will have 375-390. The performance model will also carry handling upgrades and an option for a 5 or 6 speed manual.

He also indicated that the body style is rumored to only have slight modifications, and it will create a more aggressive look for both the standard, and perfomance versions.

He indicated that this new model should be available at the end of 2003 as a 2004 model. He did however indicate that there is rumors about the IS gearbox being available in the 2003 model at the end of 2002. This could be packaged as a perfromance model as well with the same body exterior and possible factory 18 inch wheels.
Old 10-23-01, 06:47 AM
kuruption213
Pole Position

350HP GS would be great and the performance model at 390HP would kill an M5 IMO. I think that they should make L-Tuned an option on the standard GS and have it come standard on the performance model with 18" wheels. How sick would this be! I wouldn't mind seeing a slightly bigger front grill, that with a drop would make the GS more sporty.
Old 10-23-01, 01:31 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Not that your friend is suspect, but I find it hard to believe that the GS300 that has been unmodified for almost 4 years will suddenly get an extra 125HP, while the GS430 will have only 40HP more than it, when right now it has 75. I realize that GS300 sales outpace GS430 sales by a good margin, but with those figures, and the large bump up for the 300 (50HP more than a current gen. 430) why buy the top-of-the-line, especially if you can add L-Tuned and have it still cost less ?
Old 10-23-01, 03:23 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I do hope they bump the HP to 350 and change. But I hope because of the newly redesigned GS, that the lex people are not going to get greedy and raise the MSRP to 60k-70k
Old 10-24-01, 01:54 AM
sleeper
Driver School Candidate

do any of you guys know - at least how long i should keep the car before trading in for a new car when my lease isn't over yet?

i traded in my leased 99 G3 for the 01 IS (yes, i got SLAPPED for it) and it's been only 8 months now but i'm already feeling bored with it. crazy huh? but i'm gonna strap myself to wait for something new, maybe the new BMW 5 or the new GS.

if the new GS is coming out in 2003, that would be 2 years since i leased my IS. Will i be 'raped'?

sorry for the long post. so basically, if i don't wanna lose any money, when should i trade in my leased IS?

Quick Reply: New GS model