GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wheel dettached from gs300....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 05:54 PM
TranceKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel dettached from gs300....

When i was driving along a street slowly, my front left wheel came off. I duno how that happen, but i got triple a to tow it for me. My car got even more messed up when it was being unloaded because the wheel demented everything it touches. The fenders and the frame of the cars are all messed up now. I'll try to upload a picture if yu guyz wanna see it. Any Suggestions what i should do.

heres the picture

Now image it while the car is being pulled up to a bench truck -_-... The wheel dragging against the car.. My poor baby.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-01-06 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Cursing / Language
Old 10-31-06, 05:56 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

Maybe somebody was trying to steal your wheels and did not complete the job so the bolts were left lose?
Old 10-31-06, 06:08 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

Check the studs. If they are completely stripped from the proper location or appear crushed, its quite possible they were overtightened, which is just as dangerous as super loose lugs, also if sheared at lug seat, then overtightened by airhammer. If they sheared a distance away from wheel seat, then lugs were effectively not on. If wheel failed, then its a defect of wheel. Pictures wud be quite helpful. Sorry to hear bout the damage. Basically the condition and appearance of the studs tells all.
Old 10-31-06, 06:23 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch, I can only imagine the damage after that. My friend's Eclipse did that once. We changed wheels on his car and used the wrong lugnuts. Shortly after he left, the wheel just came rolling off the car. The lugnuts were too small and just fit right through the holes in the rim.

Luckily it happened shortly as he was pulling out of driveway, so no real damage except we needed new studs.
Old 10-31-06, 07:59 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man, sorry to hear about that. hope the insurance will pay for it, let me know. I had an experience with my GS300 AWD few weeks ago when putting on my new 18 inch wheels, the car fell off the jack and hit the ground on the front left brake caliper. It fell slow so it didn;t do much damage, but I felt so heart sunken when that happened. Good luck.
Old 11-01-06, 06:31 AM
leestoy
Driver

Hey Trancekid,
If You Haven't Had Any Work Done To The Car At All And These Are The Stock Rims And Tires I Would Definitely Call Your Lexus Dealer And Explain What Happened And See What They Can Do For You.. Maybe This Is A Factory Defect As Far As The Studs If They Broke Off Or Not.... Just My 2 Cents... Thanks
Old 11-01-06, 04:38 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

am i correct in that that wheel is still attached to the upright/hub assembly (the lug nuts are still holding it to something?) if so, you should definitely be talking to the dealer.
Old 11-01-06, 04:52 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guy's, his lower control arm ball joint went bad. The ball joint is like $60 bucks, too bad you didn't inspect your suspention lately or just once in a while
Now, that what is going to happen:
1. Ball joint $60
2. Speed sensor $200
3. Body damage? 1K-2K

All i can say is that ball joint will cost you lots of money, GL on fix..
Old 11-01-06, 05:22 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn, that sucks man. I didnt know a wheel could come off like that following a ball joint failure. You would think there would be some other link backing it up in case of failure. Thats super dangerous.
Old 11-01-06, 05:40 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

There is, they are called the UCA ball joint and the steering tie-rod. However, the steering tie-rod isn't designed for those kinds of lateral forces, hence the wheel gets pulled out. Notice that the wheel is still attached to the car, it hasn't come off completely (the other ball joint has not failed).
Old 11-01-06, 07:16 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch! Sorry to hear it.. not sure why there aren't any beefier aftermarket ball joint manufacturers for the GS..
Old 11-01-06, 07:50 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Oh man, sorry to hear about that. hope the insurance will pay for it, let me know. I had an experience with my GS300 AWD few weeks ago when putting on my new 18 inch wheels, the car fell off the jack and hit the ground on the front left brake caliper. It fell slow so it didn;t do much damage, but I felt so heart sunken when that happened. Good luck.
Whoa, that's scary. How did the car fall off the jack? Were you on an incline or something?

As for the OP, that's really too bad. I would agree that it's the ball joint (unless the wheel has come off the studs, or the studs have sheared off, but we can't tell from the picture). Anyway, best of luck to you in getting it fixed.
Old 11-01-06, 08:03 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishman06
There is, they are called the UCA ball joint and the steering tie-rod. However, the steering tie-rod isn't designed for those kinds of lateral forces, hence the wheel gets pulled out. Notice that the wheel is still attached to the car, it hasn't come off completely (the other ball joint has not failed).
Yes, this is correct
Old 11-05-06, 05:12 PM
KMB57
Driver School Candidate

What year is your GS, read my post on 98 gs ball joints.
Seems like a recurring theme here! did you hear any scraping/grinding noise when turning your wheel. seems to happen more when there is a passenger in front seat adding weight to the front end!
Old 11-06-06, 12:40 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

This has to be the craziest thing I have ever seen.

Quick Reply: Wheel dettached from gs300....