GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car won't start...possible fuel pump or starter problem? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 02:50 PM
ZinikGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start...possible fuel pump or starter problem? Please help!

Hey guys, my 98 GS400 won't start. All electricals, including headlights and horn work. The engine is not flooded, holding the gas while cranking doesn't help. I tried both keys thinking the immobilizer chip in one may be damaged, didn't work. The engine doesn't even turn over, you just hear like the starter. I think the problem is either with the starter or possibly fuel pump...has anyone had this problem or know what it is? Is there any diagnostic test I can run myself to check? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-06, 03:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Do you hear a click? If so, that's your starter. its common on 98-99 GS400s.
Old 11-03-06, 08:45 AM
ZinikGS
Rookie

There's no click...it sounds like the car is trying to start, but the engine isn't turning over at all.
Old 11-03-06, 08:46 AM
ZinikGS
Rookie

Any idea of a ballpark price for a starter?
Old 11-03-06, 09:41 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZinikGS
There's no click...it sounds like the car is trying to start, but the engine isn't turning over at all.
If you hear the anoying rapid clicking sound from the engine bay but no engine cranking....then it's very possibly a low battery charge.
- Try getting a jump start and you'll know it's the battery if you get started.

If you hear one click then silence...then it's possibly a failing starter.
- Once this problem starts occuring you may notice times when the car will start and other times it won't..it all depends on temperature and other condition such as how degraded the starter has gotten. You can keep trying to click the starter and eventually you may get going...I could do this for a few months before my starter finally had it and I got it replaced.
- Members have rebuilt their starter for not much $$...dealer replacment will cost you around $1200 big ones...mostly labor charge.
Old 11-03-06, 10:57 AM
EasyRyder
Driver School Candidate

one way to check if your fuel pump has gone down south for the winter is... turn your key to the on position and you should be able to hear the fuel pump/sending unit doing its job. if you dont hear anything then that might be the problem. this is how i checked it on my 96 Impala, it should be the same on all cars but im not sure... doesnt hurt to try though!
Old 11-03-06, 11:00 AM
ZinikGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by EasyRyder
one way to check if your fuel pump has gone down south for the winter is... turn your key to the on position and you should be able to hear the fuel pump/sending unit doing its job. if you dont hear anything then that might be the problem. this is how i checked it on my 96 Impala, it should be the same on all cars but im not sure... doesnt hurt to try though!

There is a buzzing/humming sound when you turn the key to the on position, I always get that sound, I remember hearing that it was brake fluid being pressurized or something like that. I'll try it again though and listen for anything, thanks!
Old 11-03-06, 11:03 AM
ZinikGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by bmgs400
If you hear the anoying rapid clicking sound from the engine bay but no engine cranking....then it's very possibly a low battery charge.
- Try getting a jump start and you'll know it's the battery if you get started.

If you hear one click then silence...then it's possibly a failing starter.
- Once this problem starts occuring you may notice times when the car will start and other times it won't..it all depends on temperature and other condition such as how degraded the starter has gotten. You can keep trying to click the starter and eventually you may get going...I could do this for a few months before my starter finally had it and I got it replaced.
- Members have rebuilt their starter for not much $$...dealer replacment will cost you around $1200 big ones...mostly labor charge.
I don't hear any clicks at all....I'm gonna try a jump start today. $1200 is a lot...hopefully my mechanic will be able to do it for cheaper than a Lexus dealer.
Old 11-03-06, 05:18 PM
Mattress
Pole Position

it took me all of 1hour and a half to take the starter out(3bolts)...and to rebuild it, and put it back in... works like a charm... very simple ..if you have someone with a lift... you wont have any problems... if its the starter that is ...

after 8 years the copper plates in the starter end up disolving under the pressure of constant turns of a key
Old 11-03-06, 05:42 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Try the battery first. I thought my starter was a gonner for sure but it turned out it was my battery.
Old 11-06-06, 11:50 AM
ZinikGS
Rookie

I boosted the car a few days ago and it has been running fine since, but I'm worried that the alternator or battery might be bad because I can't figure out why the battery lost charge in the first place. Anyways I guess I'll wait and see if it dies again....thanks for all the help!
Old 11-06-06, 03:27 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Serpentine belt is loose causing alternator not to generate enough power to charge your battery, few days is just enough to run battery down so you won't be able start engine,
That would be my guess....