GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

High mileage gs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 09:30 AM
PWNDLOL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage gs?

Hey all I am currently in the market for a gs300. There is one I am looking at near my house at this small dealer. The car is a 99 silver but it has 140,000 Miles on it. He is asking 13,995 for it. The car however has some sick 19" color matched wheels (silver) on it and a full audio system complete with nice tvs ect. The interior and exterior are both a 9.5/10. I looked up the kbb value and it seems right. The car ran nice and everything on it worked from what I checked.
What im wondering is that are these cars known to have common or uncommon problems from high miles? I know the motors are pretty strong and will last a while (I had a N/A supra). I was wondering what you would all think about the deal. It seems to be FULLY loaded with everything.
Old 11-06-06, 09:35 AM
AW99GS400
Pole Position

do a carfax on it , if the car check out nice u should be ok.

adrian
Old 11-06-06, 09:48 AM
PWNDLOL
Driver School Candidate

Yeah im waiting on that now, should have it in a couple hours. My dad is the parts manager down here for toyota/lexus so I can have it inspected by the dealership before I buy too. But im more concerned with stuff that may go bad such as engine acc. like waterpumps ect, window motors bla bla bla.
Old 11-06-06, 10:03 AM
Haulin' GS
Driver School Candidate

The car should be solid if it passes a detailed inspection. I have heard of window motors going bad, door actuators, and maybe a few other small issues. Overall you should be fine, but as with anything there is wear and tear over time. I think for a car this solid, the age of the parts is a bigger deal than the mileage if the car was maintained. With a '99 you should be fine for a while, but be sure to check the weatherstripping and the seal on the sunroof if so equipped. Rubber that has baked in the sun will start to crack.
Old 11-06-06, 10:11 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

have the suspension checked out. at this mileage, its uncommon for the balljoint to wear out (could possibly lead to accident).

Also, take a look at my DIY thread in the suspension for the Daizen steering rack bushing install. I have 128k miles and the OEM bushings were shot already so the rack moved back and forth while turning. Very dangerous on the freeway. For $40, it's a great investment

Other than that, the car is pretty reliable.
Old 11-06-06, 10:40 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey,
the engine and everything might be okay but in my opinion, i think that price is too high for a 1999 gs 300 at that mileage. do some shopping around and see what your other options are: autotrader etc i got my 98 gs300 at exactly93,700 miles for 11,000 canadian (about 9500 U.S)
But remember all this is my opinion
goog luck
Old 11-06-06, 10:41 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PWNDLOL
Yeah im waiting on that now, should have it in a couple hours. My dad is the parts manager down here for toyota/lexus so I can have it inspected by the dealership before I buy too. But im more concerned with stuff that may go bad such as engine acc. like waterpumps ect, window motors bla bla bla.
With your dad being the parts manager that should be a huge plus for you.
Old 11-06-06, 04:54 PM
PWNDLOL
Driver School Candidate

The part that appeals to me most is the rims though, I am going to put rims on whatever car I get but this is a kinda "included in the price thing" cause they would cost most likely about 2k to buy seperately + tires.
Old 11-06-06, 05:21 PM
PWNDLOL
Driver School Candidate

I found another GS I want to look at about 60 miles away. Clean carfax and its the same price except 67,000 miles instead of 140,000. I will most likely be better off in the long run getting low miles and adding rims of choice later. No sunroof though

Last edited by PWNDLOL; 11-06-06 at 05:22 PM. Reason: a
Old 11-06-06, 05:25 PM
PWNDLOL
Driver School Candidate

Accually now that I think of it, what are the possible options that come with these cars, the one with the rims is obviously fully loaded and has a sterring wheel that moves every which way and memory seats and auto A/C ect. It also had a sunroof and spoiler and this other one doesnt. Where can I find out what stuff is standard on all the cars and what is optional?
Old 11-06-06, 09:50 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Old 11-07-06, 04:56 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

carfax doesn't tell you everything.......

here's just a quick example from yesterday.
Originally Posted by SYosofi83
Hey Tammy yea I know it was in an accident, my dad hit a fire hydrant and the steering air bag deployed, but only the steering because there was no one in the passenger seat, I got it repaired at a shop and took it to the dealership and they said it needed a new airbag ecu/module (means samething I guess). So I did get one so the message for the ecu/module is gone but now those 4 are coming up. So it's either missing which needs new sensors or not connected to the airbag ecu/ecm/module, good thing is, is that this car was repaired and still under warranty and the car fax and history of the car is still all clean, car looks great! I want to sell it but obviously not with that airbag light on. anyone else withanything to share?
another testament to carfax.
Old 11-07-06, 06:06 AM
SiFreak
Rookie

I had a 98 GS300, its got 148K miles when I got it. Sold it a year later for $8.5K with 160K miles. No problems whatsoever. I replaced a blown LED on the LCD climate control.

Now I have a 99 Silver GS400 with 85K miles. Silver, GPS, heated seats, rear spoiler, new tires, HIDs. Picked it up for $12.8K.

I simply love the GS.
Old 11-08-06, 12:53 AM
chinkster
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PWNDLOL
I found another GS I want to look at about 60 miles away. Clean carfax and its the same price except 67,000 miles instead of 140,000. I will most likely be better off in the long run getting low miles and adding rims of choice later. No sunroof though
what there are some GS's with no sunroofs?
Old 11-08-06, 07:26 AM
overboost
Rookie

Originally Posted by chinkster
what there are some GS's with no sunroofs?
yep, there are even some gs' with no leather either.

Quick Reply: High mileage gs?