GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Redline Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-01, 02:09 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Redline Motor Oil

Does anyone know where I can buy some Redline motor oil? Does anyone has exprience with that product? What kind of Oil should I use? 5W30? How many shall I buy.. Thanks I have so many question...
Old 10-22-01, 02:35 PM
gs400tx
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stick with mobil1 - 17bucks at wallmart for 5qrts

Anything else is not worth the trouble. Redline and royal purple are 6bucks a quart.
Old 10-22-01, 03:14 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Good Stuff!

As a oil company engineer, I've seen alot of SAE tests of oils & more times than not, Royal Purple comes out on top. But as TX says, it's $35 for 5 quarts!:eek: Not to say it's not worth it but that's overkill for street engine, IMO. M1 & Redline tend to run neck & neck for second place, along with Amsoil. Since M1's so easy to find ( Wally World ), why run anything else? Besides, Reeves Callaway & John Lingenfelter specify it for their Corvette engines. 5W-30's fine all year long - believe the 4.0 V-8 takes 4 quarts in the engine & about 1/2 quart in the filter. Give the M1 line of oil filters consideration as well!

P.S. - No, I don't work for Exxon/Mobil!!
Old 10-23-01, 02:28 PM
Goods
Driver

Stay away from Redline and Royal Purple .... Any manufacturer can make a product to meet a certain test standard ... but you want a good overall balanced package.

You don't think all the major OEM's use Mobil 1 for a particuar reason? Granted .. some of it may be marketing .. but as they teach in lubrication school ... Oil is the lifeblood of a machine. Who do you think spends more money on R&D to balance out all the properties that you want in a motor oil?

Oh, BTW, I used to work for ExxonMobil .
Old 10-24-01, 02:18 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Debatable

Goods - Why the bad opinion of Royal Purple? Yes, I'm a dedicated M1 man myself but I've seen metalurgy reports & wear tests on some of our offshore rotating equipment ( which runs 24/7/365 & in a variety of weather conditions ) in which we run RP & the results rank at the top of any oils we use. The only downside to RP is it's cost, IMO. I still think it's overkill for a street engine but if I was protecting a racing engine built for endurance ( not drag racing where U change the oil after EVERY run ), RP'd be in my crankcase. Just like to hear from someone who has a different opinion of RP & curious as to why?
Old 10-24-01, 05:30 PM
Goods
Driver

I guess I shouldn't knock any product I haven't used myself. But products like redline and prolong are essentially additives .. which upset the balance of the overall "package".

As for Royal Purple, I have no personal experience with the product. In fact, motor oil is very much determined by personal preference and marketing. As long as it meets the latest API certifications ... the little circle mark... it should meet or exceed all required standards.

I believe the reason the bad opinion for RP stems from the demonstrations at trade shows I've heard about where RP will tout the superiority of their oil based on one test or another.

An example is an ASTM test (i don't know the number .. but I think it's commonly known as the timken ball bearing load test). Where a lever is forced upon a rotating ball bearing ... and at a certain level .. obviously the ball bearing should start squealing, possibly smoke, and sieze up. Well .. this is a showman type demonstration which gets the desired audience response.

Having been confronted.. I did look at the RP website and did find the Dyno tests results interesting. But for the time being .. I think I'll stick with a more heavily marketed brand. *wink*

I know the major companies spend millions on research to get a great overall balanced package of additives. (Motor oil being one of the most highly additized oil products out there.) Motor oil takes a lot of abuse, in terms of high temp, introduction of moisture, and need for detergents.

So for your individual offshore application, I'm not knocking any particular brand ... I myself would be hesitant to switch products especially if it aint broke don't fix it. But again, depends upon individual operating conditions.

I'll give you a good example .. of a low additive product which will run for 20 years + with no oil based problems. Look at any turbine and you will see a basicly highly refined oil with little additive .. but once you get the turbine up and running ... the turbine virtually hydroplanes on the oil, where the only function is to lubricate and provide a cooling mechanism.

Kinda long winded email .. and I can't even remember if I answered your original question.

=P
Take it easy MeanGene.

-Goods
Old 10-24-01, 07:05 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Cool!

Goods - Thanks for the quick reply! Just was wondering if U had experienced a bad RP moment in case there was something I needed to look for specifically. I've seen that "smoking ball" gimmick on the infamous Duralube infomercial myelf - rank it right up there with their "lighter fluid" test of their DuraShield product.
Ain't falling for either of those snake oil treatments!!
Again, I'm with you in the recommendation of M1. Kinda like Percy ( my fellow Audio Moderator ) says about the REALLY superior audio products ( DynAudio, McIntosh, Krell ) - If your stuff's really that good, word of mouth will beat marketing hype in the long run. I haven't seen many Mobil 1 ads lately!!
Old 10-24-01, 08:58 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I have been using Royal Purple for 2 years and I think it is a great oil. As for the cost. Here in Vancouver, it costs a dollar more than that of Mobil 1 per quart.