GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 what would YOU pay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-06, 04:15 PM
migitymark
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400 what would YOU pay?

I'm thinking about a 98 Lexus "400" (the GS) is missing. its got 86xxx miles, nak, hids, yellow fogs, smoothly engaging tranny, adjustable steering pretentioner. now for the bad: gs300 hood, new fenders, radiator, bumper, windshield, repainted drivers door, chrome rims that look like gs300 rims but aftermarket w/ lexus center caps, squared chrome exhaust tips, headliner/ weather stripping that was crooked over rear doors until I pushed it up into place, loud belt tensioner, empty service books except for 2 oil changes in houston. this car was CPO at some point. I haven't driven it yet.

what would you think its worth? in dallas, GS4s with under 100k are around 15k
Old 11-07-06, 05:39 PM
migitymark
Driver

I forgot to add underneath the car looked dirty and black as if oil leaked and got it all dirty
Old 11-08-06, 05:22 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the difference between a GS300 and a GS400 hood ?
Old 11-08-06, 05:51 AM
migitymark
Driver

its NOT the hood that it had when it was built. It was wrecked, OBVIOUSLY and all those parts were replaced.
Old 11-08-06, 06:56 AM
overboost
Rookie

So how do you know it's a GS300 hood?

If it's obviously been wrecked you should be able to use that to your advantage, and if it was a CPO it had to have been before the wreck, only the best hand picked cars are supposed to be CPO's.

What are they asking for it?

It's been previously wrecked, I would offer up maybe 9-10K depending on how bad the wreck was and going from the description of leaking oil you say

Pics would help a bit too
Old 11-08-06, 07:43 AM
migitymark
Driver

the point isnt where the hood came from, the point is it had a hood from anpther car, as opposed to new aftermarket; which means it's got to be from a junk yard. the yellow sticker says for a 3.0 liter engine, not 4.

i dont have access to a digital camera except my treo, which is a 640 by whatever resolution. I dont think it would help any. pictures would only show the front bumper missing the 2 bolts in the front, so it sticks foward about 1/2inch too far, the ugly rims w/ gold L centercaps, exhaust, and the oily dirt at bottom. other than that, it looks like any other GS would. oh its got the silver lexus logo and silver 400 from GS400. I guess pictures dont really show damage like bird poop stains (which it doesnt have) or paint lines which it does have along the door jamb.

pictures wouldnt show the noisy drivers window either. i dunno if the regulator or motor is the ptoblem, but I think this car belonged to a "thug" who drove around on chrome rims and chrome exhaust with the nakamichi blaring and the windows down.

Ive seen a half dozen cars now that looked great in pictures and were utter crap in person.

he hasnt listed it for sale yet, but told me he could go 10500. I dont know if thats a price he would take, or what he would ask. it was also a bank repo.

Im planning on offering 9500, but since he just sold an identical GS4 with 156k on it for 9850 that i could only talk him down to 8900, i think theres not much room for haggling.

I suspect hes waiting on some idiot (typical car buyer) to not notice the prior damage and buy it thinking theyre getting a 17000 dollar car for whatever he asks for. The damage is definately not obvious, unless you look for vin stickers and feel for paint lines.
Old 11-08-06, 08:21 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd pass on that one.
Old 11-08-06, 08:25 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I'd pass on that one.

Yea me too. This is like the price is right haha. And the retail VALUE IS!!

Save your money and find a better one.
Old 11-08-06, 08:47 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd run from that car .........
Old 11-08-06, 08:55 AM
migitymark
Driver

the question is how much, not yes or no....I'll decide that one when i drive it and give it a good look. non-working parts can be replaced, if anything is bent or repaired wrong, then i wont buy. But i will use this info to try and haggle.

Im looking for one around 10k, so my options are +150k miles or wrecked. A wrecked car either works or it doesnt work right now, where with 150k on it, it might work now, but probably not later, since everything has significant wear on it..
Old 11-08-06, 09:43 AM
overboost
Rookie

apparently you know what your looking for, so why ask us for info. Personally depending on everything thats happend to the car i'll take a gs4 with over 150 on the clock.

Wrecked cars have more problems then cars with normal wear and tear. The 1UZ is a very stout engine and people have had their cars for well over 300,000 miles. Take it with a grain of salt, point the stuff out to him and now that you mentioned more stuff wrong with the car offer him what you think it's worth probably around 6 and walk away. Truth is if he really wants to sell the car he'll take you up on the offer, if not he'll just wait for some poor soul to jump on it.

What can I tell you?

Buy it, for a lower price

Wait for a better car

Save some more money
Old 11-08-06, 10:08 AM
migitymark
Driver

really? I guess thats what I really should have asked "whats better, wrecked or with high mileage" I would think that if its been put back together ok, then it wont have any more problems than normal.

BTW I was wrong about the vins, ( just test drove it) it has masking tape over the vin stickers, so its only got a new hood and trunk lid and REPAINTED fenders. I guess the wreck was just enough to need a new hood, bumper and radiator, which is why I couldnt find any more significant body work on it.

but, on the badside again, it has a slight steering wheel shake....so I AM going to offer like 6 and walk.

thanks yall.
Old 11-08-06, 10:15 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

I would duck and hide..just the fact the those components were replaced...just sounds like it musta been a nasty accident. I would avoid these kind of deals. You will regret in the long run
Old 11-08-06, 10:57 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can get the car for a great deal I say "why not buy it?". But before you do take it to a really good body shop and have them look it over real good for frame damage and make sure all the parts have been put back on correctly. Or, have them give you a price to fix those items if there are problems. Heck if you save enough money, buy a sweet body kit and have it installed and repainted. I would not worry so much about the body but I would really like to know how well the engine and tranny were taken care of. Again, take it to a really good shop like Davenport and have them look it all over. Check with your closest Lexus dealer and ask for the service record history for the car. I mean if the engine and tranny are in great, well taken car of condition and the body work is good or can be fixed and you can save a bunch of money I say go for it. You will most likely modify the car anyway with new wheels, suspension, exhaust, body kit, brakes, etc. Take the money you will save and spend it on the mods.
Old 11-08-06, 11:09 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

did you run a carfax yet?

Quick Reply: GS400 what would YOU pay?