GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Water pump gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-06, 02:51 PM
zach
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump gone bad?

Hi guys, I had my timing belt (+ couple other belts) replaced at 75k on my '02 GS 300 three months ago in early August. My engine's been making some funny noises for a while and when I started it this morning it was particurly bad, so I took it to the dealership in hopes of averting a disaster. The service guy just called me back and told me that something inside the water pump needs to be replaced, and he's rather surprised that the other dealership (back in Indy; I'm now in Phoenix) failed to replace the pump at the time of the belt replacement.

I believe the dealership in Indy ought to cover the repair/diagnostic costs -- now, how to make them agree?
Old 11-09-06, 03:42 PM
BLKGS4
Driver School Candidate

Not all dealership change the water pump with the timing belt.
some will visual inspect the water pump and not replace if bearing is still smooth and no leakage is detected.
I believe it is a good insurance to change both the timing belt and water pump at the same time since the labor involve to remove the water pump is very minimal once you get access to the timing belt.
Here is another hypothetical scenario, your timing belt idler pulley was fine when the dealer at Indy changed the timing belt. Your pulley bearing went bad and it destroy your timing belt which lead to engine failure. Is it the dealership's fault not to replace it? I will answer a "NO".
If you did not ask for the dealer to change the water pump, it is not their fault.
You can blame them for not recommending those item for change to save your cost down the road. But I do not believe the dealership is at fault to cover your repair/diagnosit cost.
Just my 2 cent.
Old 01-07-07, 02:05 PM
WillieGS3
Driver

Default $ 940 to replaced water pump?

Zach, how much it cost you to replaced your water pump? I'm from Indy also so i bring my GS to T W Lexus. I had my timing belt done six month ago and they did recommend changing my water pump. T W qouted me $750 to replace water pump and alternator. 4 Hours later they call me and they said the car was done and completed and to told that I owe them 940.00 plus. that include 5 hours of labor. How could a dealership charge you more than they qouted with just water pump and added 1 more hour to job. Is this typical for Lexus Dealership?

Don't get me wrong Lexus very very good car. But I wonder what Lexus dealership is doing to the customer? Thinking of buying BMW as my next car and see if the dealership is better...

Need your input and comment

Last edited by WillieGS3; 01-08-07 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 09:28 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zach "Hi guys, I had my timing belt (+ couple other belts) replaced at 75k on my '02 GS 300 three months ago in early August".
did the dealer tell you they changed other belts, we only have one belt that runs everything but timming and water pump.
Old 01-08-07, 05:21 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zach: unless you have written proof that they never offered you the option to do the water pump it will be hard to gget anything from the servicing dealer. You'll just have to chalk this one up to experience.

WillieGS3: Most dealerships cannot charge more than 20% of a WRITTEN estimate (there is small legalese on the estimate sheet), unless you authorize the additional work. However if they service writer just verbally old you what it 'might' cost again you must prove what was said.