GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some opinions...PLEASE Spoiler Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-01, 09:13 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions...PLEASE Spoiler Issue

Hello eveyone, I am finally having my body kit installed, RMM front/Veilside sides/rear, but I am not sure whether or not to keep a spoiler on my car. My insurance company is paying for a new trunk lid/front bumper for something that happened to my car, so I can go with or without a spoiler again. As my car sits, it will be riding the stock wheels for a bit longer with eibachs. I plan on going with a staggered set 19" AV3 in the future to give you guys an idea of what it will look like. I am curious as to what you all think. Option is either the stock spoiler or no spoiler.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-01, 09:24 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

well...here's an idea..

have them give you a new trunk lid with no spoiler and take the spoiler off of the old trunk lid and just keep it at home. When your car is complete you can evaluate the way it looks without the spoiler...then with the spoiler just by sitting it on the trunk.
If you decide that you like the way it looks with the stock spoiler drill some holes and your GOLDEN!!!

How does that sound?
Old 10-24-01, 09:37 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the response Joe! Well, that is a good idea, but I want to do it all at once. I am not sure if I could trust myself in drilling holes in the deck lid After all, the dealership messed up my first deck lid when they drilled in the wrong spots Brand new car too! I was upset when I took delivery! I guess I could take part of day off work when everything is being installed and then decide. We'll leave it at tha I guess. Thanks
Old 10-24-01, 01:45 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

I say keep the spoiler,especially if youre adding a body kit.I think the gs looks considerably better wiyh the spoiler and cant imagine wanting to take it off.
Old 10-24-01, 02:09 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

I was the second guy to get this body kit after Martin Kraft, But here are the pics... w/ spoiler of course:

Old 10-24-01, 02:30 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say keep the spioler. It looks better IMO.
Old 10-24-01, 04:08 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

No spoiler ! If you want a spoiler, get a spoiler that doesn't require drilling holes into the trunk if there is spoiler like that. That way, if you don't like the wing anymore, you can always take it off worry free of holes !
Old 10-24-01, 05:34 PM
Goods
Driver

My opinion ... I like spoilers. Gives it a sporty look, but makes it harder to clean.

It all comes down to personal taste ... can't please em all .. so might as well please yourself...
Old 10-24-01, 06:56 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

As much as I don't like the spoiler on the GS (I like the cleaner look of the rear without it and it's not functional anyway) not putting it on is going to complicate your life.

If you had the spoiler before then you don't have a CHMSL light on your rear package shelf. It's on the spoiler.

Legally you have to have the damn brake light above the trunk. Thus, without the spoiler, you'll be illegal. So, to stay legal you're going to have to come up with a CHMSL and to get the stock Lexus package shelf with it installed runs about a grand.

Stick with the spoiler.

Last edited by RealMarty; 10-24-01 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-24-01, 07:28 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the replies!

gsnav - The reason I went with this kit is because it looks very clean and I did not want to buy a "copy" kit. Also, I wanted to buy the veilside front, but it comes out way to far in my opinion. I seriously was looking into the fake blitz kit, but then I did not want manaray hunting me down...:P Only kidding. BTW...I am rollin on 16s..., for the time being. How was the fit and finish of everything? Do you have anymore pics you can send me? dimo6035@kettering.edu

RealMarty - The thing is my car originally came with no spoiler. Before I took delivery, I had them add the spoiler on. Right now, the third brake light has a black strip over it to conceal it. Now in this case, would you still keep it?

Seems like it is about 50/50 and I am still not certain. Well, I guess I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 10-25-01, 12:55 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the Rod millen 3 pcs spoiler ( or lip spoiler ) is the best and cleanest looking spoiler out there, it would look very good with that setup
Old 10-25-01, 01:24 AM
TLEX
Lead Lap

Question third brake light

MikeGS4PE,

since you're not using the deck brake light, will you consider selling it? I am also in that situation where I dont want the rear spoiler on the trunk. IMO, I think the GS looks very classy and elegant with no spoiler or with just the flush-flat spoiler. Let me know if you want to sell it.

Thanks

Last edited by TLEX; 10-25-01 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-25-01, 04:37 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I'm not a big fan of spoilers (especially non-functional ones!) and I was very bitter about having to HAVE to get one with my GS (it's the only way you could get the GS430 with the Nav/ML system...) but now that I see some other GS's w/o it, I actually like the factory spoiler.

Maybe it's because I see my car all the time that I've gotten "used" to it but now GS's w/o spoilers don't look "complete" to me...

So I say keep the spoiler...

As for the 3-piece "lip" types, I've seen some good ones and I've seen the bad ones...I like Evolution/Explosion one but I don't like the RMM one...

MikeGS4PE - Hehehehe...I wouldn't have hunted you down...maybe... It's just so much better to know that you have the real thing...I doubt many people have regretted buying the real deal (at least when they get items from well respected manufacturers...having real Lexani's isn't something I'd be proud of! )...
Old 10-25-01, 02:47 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

TLEX - If I were to do that, it would cause a trouble code which in turn would light one of the dash lights. I think I am going to keep the spoiler. If something were to happen otherwise, maybe we can exchange our panels in the rear so at least I don't have a gap etc.

Manaray - I can't wait to get everything installed even though I still have the stock wheels, and I still haven't ordered a front bumper. Not sure whether to go with the veilside front or rmm one. I personally think anyone who buys a knock off kit will have resentments whenever even they see the true deal or are asked have kind of kit they have etc. I know thats what turned me to buying Veilside. I'll probably end up going with the 20" Weds Kranze when I can save that up. That will happen by the summer

Do you guys think the RMM front bumper is a good compliment to the Veilside sides/rear?

Steve has some very good pricing on Veilside parts.
Old 10-27-01, 03:02 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MikeGS4PE - I agree with you on your comment about people who do own fake kits...but then again, some people will lie and just say it's the real deal...

Oh, just FYI, the only 20" Weds are the Kranze ERM's (the Mesh style wheel)...the Cerberus, Shoki, and Rapier only come in 19" max...

I like the Veilside kit for the JZS140 GS (pre'98) but front bumper for the JZS160 GS isn't my favorite...I like the RMM one but I don't like the positioning of the foglights (they're too close together!).

I think the Evolution/Explosion one looks better than the Veilside or RMM one personally...

But my favorite kit is...well, it's the one I just picked up today

Steve is the man for parts...it will soon get better...