GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus M? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 12:53 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron

i am glad that the basic laws of econ 101 still applies: competition makes better products and more reasonable prices. here in LA, the famed penske/longo dealerships do NOT practice mark-ups. so my future super-lexus would just take longer to arrive at my garage. i just need to get in line and have patience.

william
Old 10-25-01, 01:21 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by RON430
GlobeCLK - I was thinking about the 0-60 number and their comments on IS engines and, I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that in Europe they don't get the IS300. I think they get the IS200. Maybe the 7.1 sec. time is good when compared to a stock IS200, just don't know but maybe it explains it.
Oh ok yah Europe got the IS200 with the weak 1M-FE 153hp inline 6. TRD supercharger kit makes it around 200hp I think. Hm. Well I was talking about the REAL supercharger kits, like the Area 51 kit for the IS and GS. Or even the Blitz supercharger for the RS200 Altezza.
Old 10-25-01, 01:53 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

Yah M3 is very impressive with the 3+ liter inline 6 producing 300+ hp, but hey if turbo can do it easily, what's the point of insisting on high-revving N/A engines?
Globe,

Treat it as a "work of art" in engineering performance to pull 343HP out of an NA Inline 6...

I would slap a turbo on any day and get the same performance and **** off an M3 driver because I can get the same performance for less money!

But when we are talking the "art of engineering and designing" the M3 and M5 take the cake as great engine designs.

All in fun though...Man I wish I had my GS back...

Brent
Old 10-25-01, 02:11 PM
kuruption213
Pole Position

this is really exciting, i want to know what the deal is with the car press in the US this should be a great story for them but yet they just pass it along. if a standart GS430 is looking at 350HP??? and the Super GS is 390?? then I wonder what the GS3 will be at, I'm guessing they should make it at around 280HP, just so it can take the lead back in HP over the TL, I35 and the Maxima. As for the Super IS I would like to see it, I'm not a big fan of the 3-series but I like them better then the current IS, although the IS has been growing on me. I have heard of lots of people having issues with bimmers, so thats what keeps me away, that and the smoothness to a ride only lexus can bring.
Old 10-25-01, 04:18 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

kuruption213 - I normally read mags like Autocar to see what is coming from Europe about a year before we will get it. Why the domestic rags don't have anything on this Lexus initiative is a mystery to me. We can see if they pick it up in another issue or two. Didn't seem like it was a big secret and Autocar appears to have interviewed people both in Lexus Japan and Lexus UK and no one was trying to hide it. We can only guess what they will do but they do have a fair amount of hardware on the shelf to pull down and use. I also firmly hope it is across the board to all models just like bimmer and Merc. Obviously Acura and Nissan are moving the target and 250hp is getting pretty common now. Like I said though, I hope this isn't limited to Europe because of that re-entry to Formula 1 remark. Guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 10-25-01, 04:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Decided to post the article over on the IS board. BlownIS200 responded:

this is quite old news now in the UK, Toyota europe was asked to put forward proposals for model development(this is where the pic of the IS200 COUPE comes from) the supra powered idea was cut imediatley by Toyota japan,but the supercharger idea was left,(this is the supercharger i have fitted) for TTE to develop,LEXUS UK/TOYOTA GB are still pushing for a M3 beater as Rover are about to reveal a 475 bhp 75 Model,fitted with a mustang engine,so Lexus UK feels it has a legitimate cause...................................lets hope so

Who knows, maybe it is a tempest in a teapot but the article surely reads like it is a more legitimate activity. Not sure what is going on, sounds like the supercharged IS happened some time ago. Oh well, I guess we just wait and see.
Old 10-25-01, 05:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally posted by BLiu
Uh...A 0-60mph time of 7.1s for a supercharged IS300 isn't exactly what I call "storming" or "M3-beater".
I think it's a supercharged *2* liter IS. The IS300 isn't sold in Europe I don't believe.
Old 10-25-01, 11:53 PM
RacingAristo

All these talks make me want to trade my GS for the new M3. Like my friend said, "this guy has sold his soul to BMW"
Old 10-26-01, 01:29 AM
GS4IV
Driver School Candidate

"There is no such thing as too much horsepower"
The IS/GS should get there (0-60 @ close to 5 sec.) but to run with 3/5 series it has to match the BMW in the suspension setup.
I had a 3 series and the most noticeable difference is the handling.
Everyone was raving about the old M3 (USA or older Canadian/Euro spec.)
A lot of current M3 reviews are not so hot (the car is not as good as a daily drive) - I do not think the markups will last unless the supply is artificially limited.
Old 10-26-01, 08:57 AM
RacingAristo

Before I purchased GS430, I was gonna trade in my 97 M3 for the newer one. However, when I was about to join the list, the sales told me I have to wait 'til 2002??!! Despite I'm a return customer, I'm not gonna wait 2, 3 years for 1 car. Anyhow, BMW really should increase the production of M3, even a little bit.

Though I've never test-drive Altezza, like GS4IV said, it's the handling (stock) that M3 stands out, not the electronic problems.
Old 10-26-01, 09:20 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RacingAristo
Before I purchased GS430, I was gonna trade in my 97 M3 for the newer one. However, when I was about to join the list, the sales told me I have to wait 'til 2002??!! Despite I'm a return customer, I'm not gonna wait 2, 3 years for 1 car. Anyhow, BMW really should increase the production of M3, even a little bit.

Though I've never test-drive Altezza, like GS4IV said, it's the handling (stock) that M3 stands out, not the electronic problems.
RA,

If they make more M3's then they lose the "exclusivity" factor. If you think about it, at 45K sticker, the car is a steal for the performance it produces...Keep in mind that a Corvette costs almost the same amount and let's keep the fit and finish quality (esp the interior) out of the argument because there really is no argument and yet the M3 comes pretty close to it's performance numbers.

I have driven the IS, the 3 series, and the A4 in one of the IS drive events last year. The IS did impress me with it's handling capabilities but it still did not stack up to the handling "feel" of a BMW.

In comparing my two cars, the 5 series handles so well that sometimes I forget it's a big sedan. With the GS, even with all the suspension upgrades I have on the car, the rear still tends to wag out on hard cornering and quick lane changes especially going from a quick left followed by a quick right. I know swaybars should make a difference BUT keep in mind, the BMW is the OEM sport suspension option offered by BMW and not aftermarket stuff like my Lexus...

Brent
Old 10-26-01, 06:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally posted by BLiu
In comparing my two cars, the 5 series handles so well that sometimes I forget it's a big sedan. With the GS, even with all the suspension upgrades I have on the car, the rear still tends to wag out on hard cornering and quick lane changes especially going from a quick left followed by a quick right. I know swaybars should make a difference BUT keep in mind, the BMW is the OEM sport suspension option offered by BMW and not aftermarket stuff like my Lexus...
Well I assume the BMW you have has the optional sport package?? And yes, Lexus doesn't offer this yet, but between L-Tuned and TRD they're there, just not promoting it through dealers yet.

And yes, the sways will make a BIG difference.
Old 06-20-02, 05:54 PM
lexboy
Driver School Candidate

Default Name

I hear that the performance line will be called L-Type.
Old 06-20-02, 09:46 PM
Lvangundy

that's an old article..I wonder whats going on over at Toyota NOW?
Old 06-21-02, 04:46 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was in the market for second car, Lexus IS300 and BMW 330i was the last two on my shopping list. I actually have a chance to test drive the IS300 for a day... (Loaner Car) and made up my selection on the same day. I went ahead and get myself a 330i. First, the Lexus IS engine was no compare to the 330i (response: not talking about reliability). Throttle response better. Automatic Transmission shift was more aggressive and responsive and quick. The interior design was must better. After a day of driving.. I can’t stand that chromgraph speedometer. Although IS can corner on rail.. Somehow, the 330i feels better on road (years of BMW experience). The AC button was a ****… some how the interior design just was not my taste. Now my 330i was an instant winner the minutes I test-drive it. Plus, we know really friendly sales, from our previous BMW ownership. I don’t have play game with BMW sales. My BMW sales told me: “Look, I know you for years… we can negotiate price back and forth or I will make an final offer that we can do… He made an offer that I can’t refuse… Blue book sales value on my trade in car… (private sale price. Not trade in price).. did not even open up the hood on the trade in car.. just did a quick walk around the car…
In one year on owning 330i, I did not encounter any problem, except that I complain once on Over rev on kick down… all the way over red line to 6500. Brought to dealer, they said the comp did not register over rev… and it was perfect normal to do that.. fine.. as long as it not register.. Love it to hit the red line.. No electronic problem was so ever.

Quick Reply: Lexus M? (Long)