GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus M? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-02, 12:51 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can only hope right now!!! But thats good enough for me!!!!
Old 06-21-02, 03:15 PM
zenki300
Driver

Default is300 coupe

Is Toyota ever going to make the IS coupe or are they going to wait for Nissan to roll out theirs first with the skyline coupe (G35 coupe)?

The way I figure it, they could use the IS coupe as a platform for a legitimate M3 fighter since it should be lighter (around 200lbs less) with 2 doors. But the new G35 coupe is another contender coming out soon I think they need to keep an eye out for.

Yes the G35 is an Infiniti/Nissan and not close in comparison to Lexus's luxury refinement yet. But the issue is performance here, and on the track, name brand doesn't count and engineering is all that matters which is something Nissan is definitely known for (you guys have heard of Godzilla and the Nuremberg track right?). So even though Lexus/Toyota have the M and AMG in their sights, they should pay close attention to the other Japanese manufacturers also, because we still have yet to see Lexus/Toyota release anything that can rival any of the other company's vehicles in terms of power and handling.

Indeed, the next couple of years are going to be interesting as to what car manufacturers have in store for customers.
Old 06-21-02, 04:08 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

First of all, there is a big difference between an NA engine and turbo or s/c engine. Throttle respone is better, power is more linear etc. I have spent time as a passenger in an M3 and it isn't all about engine. The chassis is incredible. Razor-sharp and precise. Yes, it is stiff. Actually, it is perfect and most of us would want our cars sprung just like that. The power delivery is so smooth. It has torque everywhere.

There is more to the M cars than just engine and stiffer springs. They have extra bracing to stiffen the chassis, different bushings etc. The //M IS would be heavier as it would also have bigger wheels, brakes, and a stiffer chassis.

There are lots of cars out there now that are faster than an M3 and M5 but almost without exception the BMW's are more fun to drive. I think the IS could certainly do that but they haven't yet and it is not as if the M3 will still be 333hp three years from now.
Old 06-21-02, 05:57 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Mayb Lexus will do more to the IS and GS ....

im sure thorwing in a bigger Power Plant and a few Suspension mods wouldnt be all that LEXUS will do to the Performance IS and GS ....

They are Persuing Perfection.......

Arent They ??
Old 06-21-02, 06:05 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Default IS 200

In europe they got a 3sge powered IS200 no is300.I seen a couple when I went to London and they are slow as hell dam 4cyl 2L is way too small.I think the US IS300 is a much better value then any euro model and I know for a fact that it will last longer.The IS430 is a good example of what lexus could do to kill any BMW on the road but that is not the point.People buy cars and usualy 90% of them dont know jack about them ,so they buy the big well known names not Lexus.Im tired of people trying to say Lexus could not compare to BMW since they have beat BMW in so many ways (look at customer satifaction).Im not saying the IS300 is a M3 but i think its a step into the right direction .If you wnat a nice stock class car for speed and hadling BMW is the way to go but for all the rest go Lexus.Complain all you want we are all going to suport our camp.
Old 06-22-02, 12:56 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default Your sick in the head...

I would like to see Toyota produce a NA 6-cylinder motor that can output 343HP rather than slapping on a turbo or an SC...I think that's the easy way out IMHO...Well, at least we might be able to get aftermarket parts for our current GS's I hope...

Ummm....you would rather have a N/A than a turbo. Do you have any idea how much more potential a turbo car has. You take your N/A. I'll take my turbo. Oh, and a downpipe and boost controller so I can have about 100hp over the stock turbo numbers.......
Old 06-22-02, 05:42 AM
LexFather

THough I would LOVE for Lexus to make a "M' car and I am postive Toyota has the spirit, capabilities and $$$$, Lexus has been so successful giving the MASSES what they want, not us folks. THat is what MODS are for.

When I get ready for my sports car, I'll be knocking on Porsche's door or something.
Old 06-22-02, 02:35 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

a 189 hp corolla??? All i gotta say is that will be one good beater car... if it weighs less and has more power than the matrix, it should be faster and in the 6 second range for 60mph, in a COROLLA!!!!!!
Old 06-23-02, 03:49 AM
HaydenGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: IS 200

Originally posted by CamryRR
In europe they got a 3sge powered IS200 no is300.I seen a couple when I went to London and they are slow as hell dam 4cyl 2L is way too small.I think the US IS300 is a much better value then any euro model and I know for a fact that it will last longer.The IS430 is a good example of what lexus could do to kill any BMW on the road but that is not the point.People buy cars and usualy 90% of them dont know jack about them ,so they buy the big well known names not Lexus.Im tired of people trying to say Lexus could not compare to BMW since they have beat BMW in so many ways (look at customer satifaction).Im not saying the IS300 is a M3 but i think its a step into the right direction .If you wnat a nice stock class car for speed and hadling BMW is the way to go but for all the rest go Lexus.Complain all you want we are all going to suport our camp.

They do have IS300 in Europe. They started offering it for a while (less than a year)