GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus M? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-01, 03:49 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus M? (Long)

AutoCar Sept. 26, 2001

Lexus plots an M3 Rival

Super IS may get 326bhp engine from Toyota Supra

"Lexus is planning to build high-powered versions of its models in a bid to crack the increasingly lucrative everyday supercar market currently dominated by BMW and Jaguar.

Spurred on by parent Toyota's enthusiasm for its new T-Sport performance range (see sidebar) Lexus plans to set up an in-house tuning arm that will produce rivals not only to M BMWs, but Mercedes AMGs and planned R variants from Jaguar.

Earmarked for the high-power makeover are IS and GS models, producing rivals for the M3 and M5, but Lexus hasn't ruled out a massive power injection for the LS limo and RX off-roader as well.

Power sources are still under disucssion, but Lexus UK product manager Robert Frost said the 326 bhp straight six bi-turbo from the discontinued Toyota Supra is a candidate for the so-called Super IS.

Plans for the hot GS engine are sketchy, but one possibliity is a heavily tuned version of the 283bhp V8 used in the GS430.

However, the IS's chief engineer, Nobukai Katayama, is not committed to a turbo. 'It could also be a high revs, or a large displacement engine,' he said.

Katayama drives a modified IS using the same high-rev four cylinder 2.0 engine that sits in the Lexus BTCC racing car.

Toyota engineers last year built a one-off supercharged IS that won praise from all quarters including Autocar. However, despite a storming 0-60mph time of 7.1 sec., Lexus insiders said it didn't meet the company's legendary quality standards.'

Nick Gibbs

Sidebar

T-Cars

"Toyota, Lexus's parent company, is also pepping up its new T-Sport brand.

The new Corolla, on sale in January 2002, will be joined that same month by a hot 189bhp, six-speed T-sport version.

The new Avensis, due in spring 2003, is likely to be next in line for T-Sport treatment, alongside performance Corolla, Yaris and Celica models.

Toyota's Matthew Harrison said: 'T-Sport is an affordable sports package with extra power and subtle styling tweaks. There are no firm plans yet, but we are looking at more extreme versions, especially as we are entering Formula One."

I wonder if this means L-tuned here will get some teeth? I also wonder if this will come to the US or if it will be Euro Spec only?
Old 10-24-01, 04:11 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoohaaa!!! Lexus luxury and quality with Teuton-killing performance! Enough said! Hey, even the Toyota line is gettin' some! WayDaGoToyo!

America is Lexus' largest market. We get the best of Lexus. As long as it meets Lexus high emissions standards, we'll be sure to see it State-side.
Old 10-24-01, 04:16 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Considering the considerable investment Toyota has in TRD, I don't think this is a surprising development. I vote "aye".
Old 10-24-01, 04:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I figure we will all cheer this. A little more explanation, Autocar is a British weekly magazine, like Autoweek, that I get. That is the reason the story is a month old. I agree that the US is too important to Lexus to be left out. I can't help wondering why our stellar domestic automotive press has nothing on this unless someone has seen something I have missed. Not only an uprated GS but the Supra TT engine in the IS would be a great match. Big power boost for the RX (LX?) and LS? Got to do it if you want to play with BMW and Merc. What's taking so long? At least they do seem to be waking up. Don't really mind if they take the time to do it right. The time to make a reliable car is in development not the dealers service bays. Shame not everyone has learned that lesson.
Old 10-24-01, 04:39 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THE REINCARNATION OF 2JZ-GTE!!! YAY~~!!!! ahahahaha
Old 10-24-01, 04:50 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Imagine the marketing blitz.

Dealerships will be swamped with advance orders, and the Germans will be quaking......

'.......smells like.....victory.......'

Old 10-24-01, 05:27 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll probably get myself one of them new ones. Although I am not a fan of new cars, I can not miss out on even faster GS/IS.
Old 10-24-01, 05:27 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you realize the V300 is the only car with the 2JZ-GTE that is still sold as a production car today? i've thoght about it, they stopped the supra in Japan right? so its just the Aristo right?
Old 10-24-01, 05:37 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by retrodrive
I'll probably get myself one of them new ones...
If the dealerships don't look at you like you have 5 heads, I'd go ahead and ask if you could get on a list, oh yeah, bring cash too....

Heck, I might......
Old 10-24-01, 05:57 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

AN IS300 will NEVER be a M3....I mean...be real here.....
Old 10-24-01, 06:07 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CSHFLW

With the right parts, an IS can be an M3 or even better. The only think that the M3 has is more HP and better suspension.
Old 10-24-01, 06:18 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Oh boy, here we go.

An IS doesn't WANT to be an M3; it would never see much off teh road from teh mechanics work bay!

J/K

Kidding aside, think of the PERFORMANCE, coupled with the RELIABILITY and QUALITY and SERVICE, and all OEM.

I know, I know, he menioned it needed to be more reliable, but this is just the first whiff of this. Wait until it goes into production.

Then consider that car as a platform to build on.

One word comes to mind - Whoa....
Old 10-24-01, 06:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally posted by CSHFLW
OK, being real - the M3 is a great car, but the IS300 is a PERFECT chassis on which to make an M3 competitor.

And even if they only get 80% there, their price will be 80% too and they'll sell a lot.
Old 10-24-01, 06:39 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I hope Autocar is right, I have the mag that I took the quote out of so it has been printed, just don't know why the US press is so asleep at the switch. Hey bitkahuna, I was a little cool to the IS but I have really started to warm up to it. As an ex Supra owner the thought of the Supra TT in it seems like a great idea and not much of a stretch. Of course the stretch would be the AWD but if they are thinking of bumping the power of the RX like the article said, who knows, the mechanics might be usable in both the RX and IS. I must admit that I had gotten of the opinion that I didn't think Lexus really wanted to compete with bimmer but if they decide to than yes, I believe they could make a car to compete with the M3. It just is not wise to underestimate Toyota. And to get it back to the dear old GS, if they want to compete with the M5 or the offerings from AMG they need to be thinking of at least 400hp (anybody think I am off there?). My wife may get her wish of a GS430 because I just might be tempted to try a pumped GS with Toyota reliability and Lexus support. Sorry I didn't post the article earlier but I was on the road and haven't had a chance till now. Any of you guys with connections to Japan know anything about this or is it just a UK thing? Sure doesn't sound like it if they interviewed the IS lead engineer. BTCC is their touring car championship and I don't know what that high revving two liter is they are talking about. I will see if I can find any info on it or if anyone knows anything, please let us know.
Old 10-24-01, 07:45 PM
RacingAristo

Hopefully Lexus dealer won't jack up the price for the Lexus M.

Quick Reply: Lexus M? (Long)