GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rain Water

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 02:17 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rain Water

What makes the 2GS shut down when going over areas with higher water level ?
I'm curious as it's rain season here and i don't want my baby shutting down on me i'll try avoiding water in the first place but what if i had to . what should i be careful with ?
Old 11-19-06, 03:09 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

I believe the term is called hydrolock.That is a term you do not want to be familiar with.
In automotive terminology, a hydrolock is the immobilization of an engine's pistons by a liquid (usually water, hence the prefix "hydro-"). Hydrolocking occurs when liquid fills a cylinder on the intake stroke and, due to the incompressibility of a liquid, makes the compression stroke impossible. This, in turn, prevents the entire engine from turning, and can cause significant engine damage if one attempts to forcibly turn over or start the engine.

Hydrolocking is often a concern when consumers modify their engines with aftermarket intake systems (e.g. Cold air intake). A cold air intake typically locates the filter near the bottom of the engine compartment to gain access to colder air, which can also increase its chances of ingesting water should it be submerged.

Another reason for it to occur is in the event of the head gasket cracking or "blowing", which causes the radiator coolant to mix inside the combustion chamber.
Old 11-19-06, 03:12 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BUSTN
I believe the term is called hydrolock.That is a term you do not want to be familiar with.
In automotive terminology, a hydrolock is the immobilization of an engine's pistons by a liquid (usually water, hence the prefix "hydro-"). Hydrolocking occurs when liquid fills a cylinder on the intake stroke and, due to the incompressibility of a liquid, makes the compression stroke impossible. This, in turn, prevents the entire engine from turning, and can cause significant engine damage if one attempts to forcibly turn over or start the engine.

Hydrolocking is often a concern when consumers modify their engines with aftermarket intake systems (e.g. Cold air intake). A cold air intake typically locates the filter near the bottom of the engine compartment to gain access to colder air, which can also increase its chances of ingesting water should it be submerged.

Another reason for it to occur is in the event of the head gasket cracking or "blowing", which causes the radiator coolant to mix inside the combustion chamber.
So if water is below intake lever (i have stock) it should be ok ? everything is related to the intake then .
Old 11-19-06, 04:46 AM
BUSTN
Instructor

As well as the exhaust.
Old 11-19-06, 05:26 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just don't do this.....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=water
Old 11-19-06, 06:03 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
Clears alot of things , and gives new fears

Originally Posted by BUSTN
As well as the exhaust.
Wait , isn't the exhaust basically too hot for the water to go in ?
Old 11-19-06, 07:08 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AJ-what exactly do you think you'll have to drive through? I won't go through water over 3-4 inches and if you absolutely must drive through a deeper puddle, go real slow.
Old 11-19-06, 07:14 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
AJ-what exactly do you think you'll have to drive through? I won't go through water over 3-4 inches and if you absolutely must drive through a deeper puddle, go real slow.
I dunno , just getting basic knowledge for the future . hopefully all will be well

Thanks to you both
Old 11-19-06, 08:10 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The exhaust is always pushing air out when the engine is running. Due to this, it's very hard to get water into your engine from the exhaust. Well, unless you have a vertical exhaust for some reason and pour water down the top. The intake is always sucking in and the exhaust is always pushing out air. Naturally it's much much more likely/easier to catch an unwanted stream of water through the intake VS forcing water up the exhaust pipe when there are gases pushing outwards already.
Old 11-20-06, 01:42 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The exhaust is always pushing air out when the engine is running. Due to this, it's very hard to get water into your engine from the exhaust. Well, unless you have a vertical exhaust for some reason and pour water down the top. The intake is always sucking in and the exhaust is always pushing out air. Naturally it's much much more likely/easier to catch an unwanted stream of water through the intake VS forcing water up the exhaust pipe when there are gases pushing outwards already.
Thanks for the info man
Old 11-20-06, 07:02 AM
oki_boy
Pole Position

If you roll through a puddle just let off the throttle and its less likely to suck water in. You're problem doesn't sound like HL if you have stock intake and you're not driving through a couple feet of water. How many times has it happened. Does it start back up right away or does it take awhile.
Old 11-20-06, 08:32 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oki_boy
If you roll through a puddle just let off the throttle and its less likely to suck water in. You're problem doesn't sound like HL if you have stock intake and you're not driving through a couple feet of water. How many times has it happened. Does it start back up right away or does it take awhile.
Never happened just thought it would be better to know before than learn after .
Old 11-20-06, 08:47 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah im from ny, and it really never flooded like more than 3-4 inches at most, like they have good waterways i guess.. and when i moved out here to vegas where it practicaly never rains (maybe 1 week out of the whole year) there was a flood around downtown and i drove through bout 6 maby 7 inches of water, i didnt realize it was flooded and i couldnt make a u-turn :/ but it was fine nothing happned to me