GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 08:30 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Dilemma

Well I have a bit of a dilemma. I bought two bi-xenon E46 projectors not too long ago on eBay. Then I bid on some TL bi-xenon projectors and won them too. I also bought some projectors that I was gonna have put in the highbeam because it was 9005 bulb projectors (I was gonna put a plug-n-play HID kit). So should I put the two bi-xenon projectors in the headlights? Should I sell the E46 projectors and put the TL and 9005 projectors in? I figure it makes more sense to just have on bi-xenon projector and just modify the other projector to put out more light. I know it would be "cool" to put both bi-xenon projectors but what would be the logical thing to do? Mods sorry for posting this twice but I figured it would get more exposure here than in the lighting forum.
Old 11-19-06, 08:37 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask ''Jefftsai'' about this, he has tons of knowledge about retro-fitting. He might advise you what to do
Old 11-19-06, 08:55 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think bi-xenon projectors on the highbeam is a waste since most of the time you won't use it. Unless you have a lot of time and the headlight's housing is big enough(I dont' know much about the 2nd gen GS headlight housing) to fit both bi-xenon projectors then do it. Bi-xenon projectors usually a lot bigger than normal so make sure you have enough room to work with before you do it. I think the best thing to do is to go with the TL + 9005 projectors.

off topic:
any reasons why you choosen the TL instead of the TSX? The TL is bi-xenon but the TSX give you a much better output and a sharper cutoff line. Since you have both high/low beam on your car you won't really use the bi-xenon fuction on the TL projectors.
Old 11-19-06, 09:11 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tt061880
any reasons why you chose the TL instead of the TSX? The TL is bi-xenon but the TSX give you a much better output and a sharper cutoff line. Since you have both high/low beam on your car you won't really use the bi-xenon fuction on the TL projectors.
I went with the TL for the bi-xenon, I want to be able to put as much light on the road as possible.
Old 11-19-06, 09:13 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
Ask ''Jefftsai'' about this, he has tons of knowledge about retro-fitting. He might advise you what to do
I've spoken to Jeff and he plans to go the same route. He wants to put 2 bi-xenon projectors in his headlights.
Old 11-22-06, 07:29 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

I think I'm gonna go with the TL bi-xenon in the low and the 9005 in the highs. I'm gonna probably end up selling the BMW bi-xenon. I saw either a TL or TSX today that blinded the hell out of me. That finalized my decision.
Old 11-22-06, 08:45 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what about s2000 projectors... no? amazing cut off.
Old 11-22-06, 09:18 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cliffud
what about s2000 projectors... no? amazing cut off.
The thing is that I want the bi-xenon function. That's why I ended up buying 2 different sets. I just think it would great to have 2 highbeams.
Old 11-23-06, 09:33 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tt061880
I think bi-xenon projectors on the highbeam is a waste since most of the time you won't use it. Unless you have a lot of time and the headlight's housing is big enough(I dont' know much about the 2nd gen GS headlight housing) to fit both bi-xenon projectors then do it. Bi-xenon projectors usually a lot bigger than normal so make sure you have enough room to work with before you do it. I think the best thing to do is to go with the TL + 9005 projectors.

off topic:
any reasons why you choosen the TL instead of the TSX? The TL is bi-xenon but the TSX give you a much better output and a sharper cutoff line. Since you have both high/low beam on your car you won't really use the bi-xenon fuction on the TL projectors.
Trust me, once you get used to the high beam portion of a bi-xenon projector...you will never go back

Also, the TSX projector does not have better light output than the TL. Yes, the cutoff is sharper on the TSX but the output is not as wide nor as bright as the TL's. As far as color modding...both can be modded, but with the TL's you will be able to get a MUCH MUCH thicker band of blue/purple. Pretty much anything that people on the road will see coming from your car is purple light with the modded TL's. If you want some amazing light output, put some crystal clear lenses on the TL. Razor sharp cutoff with amazing output and wide beam

Bottom line, I think the TL is the way to go . It's a very very difficult retrofit, but the output is amazing. I'll post up a DIY of my TL retro once I'm finished and you will know why it's so hard

The other option is to get some LS430 projectors and do a lens swap with the TSX clear pieces. IMO, that combo is the most amazing output out of any HID on the market today. Some of you guys might mention the Q45's units. Only thing going for them are that they look nice, but the output and cutoff doesn't fare too well compared to the LS430 or TL units.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 11-23-06 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-24-06, 05:43 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Bottom line, I think the TL is the way to go . It's a very very difficult retrofit, but the output is amazing. I'll post up a DIY of my TL retro once I'm finished and you will know why it's so hard
Is it difficult to install it in the lowbeams or in the highbeams?
Old 12-04-06, 10:38 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeff,

I have a gx and they come with projector headlights. I have a philips 4300k in them and i know i won't be able to get the same results with oem hid projector headlights but i would like to try. I heard that you can add "washers" to the projectors to get the color effect and i would like to know if that is true.

also, if i were to change my mind and get oem hid projector headlights, would it be a simple swap since i already have projector headlights?

calvin
Old 12-04-06, 11:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Washer mod will get you more color at the cutoff line (to a certain extent).
Old 12-05-06, 05:02 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexGX
also, if i were to change my mind and get oem hid projector headlights, would it be a simple swap since i already have projector headlights?

calvin
I doubt it would be as easy as a swap depending on the projectors you choose.
Old 12-09-06, 12:36 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Just an update on my retrofit. I mounted the projectors into the reflector bowls today. I will mostly likely be painting them within the next week then mounting on my new projector headlights hopefully by next weekend. I was going to also put the projectors into the highbeam but it's going to be hard to find a shroud for the projectors I bought so I'm probably going to just leave the regular highbeam and put the projectors into my fogs. I will try to get pix of the work in progress.
Old 12-09-06, 12:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Honestly, I did the same thing. I left the hibeam alone. For me, my high beam must be a concentrated beam of halogen light.

Quick Reply: Dilemma