GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

my dilemna: keep the Lex or get the Supra TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 05:33 AM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my dilemna: keep the Lex or get the Supra TT

I love my pimp ride to bits, but I got my a** whooped on sat morning by a brand new Merc SLK driven by a GIRL!

Plenty of Supras for sale here in the UK, both UK models and Jap imports. I've always driven big sedans, but a Supra seems so tempting...

In theory, I can sell my GS3, buy a Supe TT with the proceeds, and have enough money left over to get BPU (basic performance upgrade) done to 400bhp.

What you guys reckon?

My GS

The kind of Supra I'm thinking about
Old 11-20-06, 05:44 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

cant see pics. But cant u upgrade the lexus. So that you can surprise that girl in her Mercedes.
Old 11-20-06, 05:55 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing against the TT, sounds like a plan BUT if truly like the GS sedan, remember you already have the heart of the Supra under the hood of the GS. A nice single turbo setup will get the GS moving real quick.
Old 11-20-06, 06:32 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

is that GS a Vertex or NA motor? If it is already a GTE then just tune it. No way an SLK would keep with a tuned GTE. If it is NA, swap it for the VVTi GTE motor and single it.

Keep the 4dr love goin.
Old 11-20-06, 06:34 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

never mind.. just checked your profile. Either swap in the GTE, or pick up an Aristo.. there are a bunch over there. You can find them on the UK Lexus Owners Club.
Old 11-20-06, 06:39 AM
brit_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Epik
never mind.. just checked your profile. Either swap in the GTE, or pick up an Aristo.. there are a bunch over there. You can find them on the UK Lexus Owners Club.
yeah, my friend has the Aristo - boy, can that thing fly..

I just am starting to dig the whole supra experience... mid life crisis!
Old 11-20-06, 06:51 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

It's just the GS showing it's age, at least here in North America. Many new cars are faster than the GS, but hey, it's going on 8 years! Don't you have access to the Aristo where you are? To me, there is something very sexy about a 4 door sports sedan so I would try finding an Aristo. Or you can do an engine swap if you don't mind that option. In the U.S. a nice Supra costs a lot more than a GS - supply is low and demand is high. The Supra is a great car and was way ahead of it's time.
Old 11-20-06, 10:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Do you need a 4-door car more than you need a 2-door car?

Obviously performance seems to be something you are very much interested in.

If you don't need a 4-door car, get a real sports car like the Supra. If on the other hand you really need a 4-door car, but want more performance out of it (mainly in a straight-line), then just do an engine swap or get an Aristo.

Don't for one second dream that you can turn a heavy, almost 4000 lb, nose heavy pig like the GS into a sports car. It just ain't gonna happen. All you will succeed in doing is making it more sporty and faster, but definitely not a corner carver. It is not a good platform for a real sports car. It is too nose heavy, and just too fat on the weight scale to become a real sports car like the Supra. You cannot also do anything with its numb steering feel (another important ingredient of a sports car - sharp and communicative steering feel).

You simply cannot compare a Supra and a GS in the same sentence. Two completely different cars for all intents and purposes.
Old 11-20-06, 11:49 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

mid life crisis? supra is a must.
Old 11-20-06, 12:26 PM
@lpher
Lead Lap

I just let go of my bpu'ed Supra TT...to buy a more family-friendly BLUE GS300...so as you see...ive gone and done the complete opposite of what youre thinking of doing!

I actually got a fair bit more for the Supra when i sold it two weeks ago, than what i bought it for in 2003!

So...my advice...as some others here have pointed out...it all boils down to if you NEED 4 doors or not This time around...i nyself needed the extra doors...and a boot of some sort
Old 11-20-06, 03:11 PM
Carguy34
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hameed
Do you need a 4-door car more than you need a 2-door car?

Obviously performance seems to be something you are very much interested in.

If you don't need a 4-door car, get a real sports car like the Supra. If on the other hand you really need a 4-door car, but want more performance out of it (mainly in a straight-line), then just do an engine swap or get an Aristo.

Don't for one second dream that you can turn a heavy, almost 4000 lb, nose heavy pig like the GS into a sports car. It just ain't gonna happen. All you will succeed in doing is making it more sporty and faster, but definitely not a corner carver. It is not a good platform for a real sports car. It is too nose heavy, and just too fat on the weight scale to become a real sports car like the Supra. You cannot also do anything with its numb steering feel (another important ingredient of a sports car - sharp and communicative steering feel).

You simply cannot compare a Supra and a GS in the same sentence. Two completely different cars for all intents and purposes.
I agree with this for the most part. If you want a four door, the GS is great. If you don't, then by all means get something different. I disagree in the comments about vehicle weight and references to a true sports car. The weight difference between a supra and a GS3 is only about 200 lbs. While that is significant, don't for one second think that the supra is light. Supra's are pigs in the sports car world. Yes they are quick, but ever noticed that a 500 hp RX7 will outrun a 700 hp Supra? Supra's do great on dyno's and in straight lines, pretty much muscle car standards, but they don't handle like most sports cars. If you want a nice two door (practically 2 seater) Supras are great. I have enjoyed the turbo supra's I've been in and driven. Comparing a GS to a Supra isn't really possible because of what each accomplishes. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-20-06, 04:13 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You can trade a 2nd gen GS300 for a Supra TT AND have money left over for bpu mods?

Then by all means, the Supra. But why not an Aristo?
Old 11-20-06, 04:16 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carguy34
I agree with this for the most part. If you want a four door, the GS is great. If you don't, then by all means get something different. I disagree in the comments about vehicle weight and references to a true sports car. The weight difference between a supra and a GS3 is only about 200 lbs. While that is significant, don't for one second think that the supra is light. Supra's are pigs in the sports car world. Yes they are quick, but ever noticed that a 500 hp RX7 will outrun a 700 hp Supra? Supra's do great on dyno's and in straight lines, pretty much muscle car standards, but they don't handle like most sports cars. If you want a nice two door (practically 2 seater) Supras are great. I have enjoyed the turbo supra's I've been in and driven. Comparing a GS to a Supra isn't really possible because of what each accomplishes. Good luck with your decision.
Supras aren't THAT bad. Besides, most of the weight reduction comes from replacing parts in the 2jzgte. Also, a hardtop version with suspension upgrades improves the handling by a whole lot. Lighten up the brakes and other misc. stuff and you're good to go.

P.S. Rotary engine is the proof that DSM is reliable.
P.P.S. A muscle car cannot slow down accordingly unlike a Supra.

Last edited by ElitistK; 11-20-06 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-20-06, 04:17 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

keep the lex man.. i boosted my lex and i'm really happy with it.. it might not be the fastest, but i get respect 'cause people know the time, money, effort and just everythin' that went into building my car. i know a lot of supra people too and i love supra's as well.. but it's still nice when they all give me some love

respect from people with nice cars = priceless
unlike respect you get from ricers, then it's just like, "eh whatever" lol
Old 11-20-06, 04:26 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

On the side note: why not the SC? I know it's a great mid-life crisis car. You'll never get the same look from people if you're in the SC versus the look when you're in the Supra TT.

Quick Reply: my dilemna: keep the Lex or get the Supra TT