GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Modding the GS --- Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06 | 07:02 PM
modo
Driver School Candidate

Default Modding the GS --- Need Help

Hello All,

I have decided to open up my wallet and invest in several items that will enhance both the performance/look/handling of my car while not sacrificing ride quality or the "stock" look of the vehicle.

I am considering buying the L-tuned springs found on www.lexus-parts.com. However, I was wondering if it is even worth upgrading the springs if I am not going to be upgrading the shocks??? I was told that the springs, outside of lowering the car (and hence enhancing the look) will do nothing in the handling department without the upgraded shocks?

I don't think I want to upgrade the shocks at this point, primarily because I don't want to feel every road bump/divet while I drive.

Your advice/opinions would be helpful!

-MODO
Old 11-20-06 | 07:06 PM
modo
Driver School Candidate

Default Also...

Sorry guys, another question... in your experience, are the L-tuned springs a good investment? Or should I be looking at another manufacturer (Tanabe, Tein, etc...?)
Old 11-20-06 | 09:07 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Adding lowering springs will make the center of gravity lower, therefore improving handling.
Old 11-20-06 | 09:24 PM
StockGS400
Pole Position

From what I know and have experianced in the past. When you lower a vehicle it does make it handle better but lowering springs on stock struts will make it bumpier. I don't expect it to be that bad since we do have a heavier than your typical Honda. You will feel a little more on the road but I don't think anything that is unbearable unless your a perfectionist.
Old 11-20-06 | 11:49 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

thought l-tuned springs were no longer available unless you get them used in the classifieds or something?

if you get these springs though, it's a conservative drop, but does improve handling. you don't HAVE TO replace the shocks, until they just go bad on you.
Old 11-21-06 | 12:25 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

you should try reading up on this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113963

looks like Tein CS v2.0 is a good bet of getting near stock ride quality while still improving handling and probably more than doing the L-tuned springs to the stock shocks

also read post 175 in that thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=175
Old 11-21-06 | 02:24 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Do yourself a favor and get shocks and springs at the same time. Look at it this way, you are going to need shocks sooner or later depending on your current mileage. Say for instance your local shop charges $150 labor to do springs, when you come back to do shocks..It's going to be ANOTHER $150 in labor. Basically by doing them at the same time you will spend half the money in labor when all is said and done. Thats a hefty dent into the cost of some decent shocks Better yet, throw on some Tein basics or something, then you will have a litle more adjustability.
Old 11-21-06 | 02:34 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Next on my list; Tein CS v2.0 is the way to go.
Old 11-21-06 | 02:40 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by macd7919
Do yourself a favor and get shocks and springs at the same time. Look at it this way, you are going to need shocks sooner or later depending on your current mileage. Say for instance your local shop charges $150 labor to do springs, when you come back to do shocks..It's going to be ANOTHER $150 in labor. Basically by doing them at the same time you will spend half the money in labor when all is said and done. Thats a hefty dent into the cost of some decent shocks Better yet, throw on some Tein basics or something, then you will have a litle more adjustability.
Agreed.

Do it once. keep an eye out for the eibach/bilstein combo as well- that's a damn good setup.

i had it- didn't realize my bump stops weren't cut - the ride was harsh. sold them to a fellow member on here and when they were installed, the bump stops were cut and now they ride FANTASTIC in his GS4.

i went with the Tein CS v1, didn't like it at first but 5k miles later now it's just right. unfortunately- hahah- i already bought another set of the eibach/bilstein setup. maybe someday i'll make the switch back... who knows.
Old 11-21-06 | 04:14 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

your oem shocks will fail quickly with any lowering kit , the ltuned or rebadged kyb junk is a shorter stroke then oem .. you will be running the oem always in a compressed state = not good

if i were you and budjet minded go for the daizen springs , much better spring and designed for the lexus like ride and yields and incrediable drop and pair them with the ltuned
Old 11-21-06 | 11:25 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexforlife
if i were you and budjet minded go for the daizen springs , much better spring and designed for the lexus like ride and yields and incrediable drop and pair them with the ltuned
See above...