GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 12:43 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Alignment issue

guys,

after the lowering of GS, if the car drives fine without any pulling, should alignment still be performed immediately?

if so, should such be done manually? or opt for computerized alignmnet? i am receiving conflicting opinions from dealer/tuner shops.

thank you

william
Old 10-25-01, 02:11 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, it depend on your tires, if you car drive straight, and you tires are worn out or very old, then wait til the next time you change your tires and do an alignment then

save you money and allow time for the new suspension to settle in (you do know that the car gets alittle bit lower after the first month of installation?)

if you have a new expensive tires, then make your own judment ($50 for alignment vs for $700 tires) would you pay for alignment==> i am sure you have an answer already

or just check your tires every week, see if any on unusually wear (especially the inside of the tires), if every thing is fine then get the alignment the next time you change tires

most place recommend to get alignment right the way, but personally, i would wait a few week and see

Anh
Old 10-25-01, 02:30 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Alignment issue

Originally posted by gs4will
guys,

after the lowering of GS, if the car drives fine without any pulling, should alignment still be performed immediately?

if so, should such be done manually? or opt for computerized alignmnet? i am receiving conflicting opinions from dealer/tuner shops.

thank you

william
Will,

Wait a week or so to allow the suspension components to settle and then get the alignment done. It doesn't matter if the car is not pulling. You can have even camber on both sides and the car will not pull BUT your tires will be worn on the inside real fast...
Alignment is always necessary after lowering.

Brent
Old 10-25-01, 02:39 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Get the alignment man. wait a week, then get it!!!!
Old 10-25-01, 02:46 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or get lifetime alignment like me, and do it every other day!
Old 10-25-01, 03:02 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Are you kidding???
Every other day???
Old 10-25-01, 03:06 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

where/how do you get this lifetime alignment?

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
Old 10-25-01, 03:10 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Richie

Are you kidding???
Every other day???
Not that I would, but I could

Originally posted by lex430
where/how do you get this lifetime alignment?
The tire/wheel shop that I got my suspension installed offers lifetime alignment. I paid 200 to install my L-Tuned springs and shocks. That's with lifetime alignment for the life of the car. WIth 1-time alignment it's 150.

I got alignment done when I install my brake pads too. If I feel something is wrong I can always just go there and have them check it out and re-do alignment. Very convenient.
Old 10-25-01, 03:30 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Not that I would, but I could

The tire/wheel shop that I got my suspension installed offers lifetime alignment. I paid 200 to install my L-Tuned springs and shocks. That's with lifetime alignment for the life of the car. WIth 1-time alignment it's 150.

I got alignment done when I install my brake pads too. If I feel something is wrong I can always just go there and have them check it out and re-do alignment. Very convenient.
Globe,

How do you know they are actually doing the alignment? They could just put the car up, look at it, bang the control arms a bit with a wrench and then claim they have done an alignment. A shop that offers lifetime alignment will be out of business real fast if they really performed an alignment everytime. To do it right, it takes a couple of hours...Imagine paying someone to do that with no income from the customer because it's free for a lifetime. I wonder how the shop makes any money.

Brent
Old 10-25-01, 03:34 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Defininately get the alignment. Also, you should do the alignment with the computer. The computer is better than the trained eye. The only reason I couldn't use the computer is because the computer couldn't reconize 20 inch wheels
Old 10-25-01, 03:45 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BLiu

Globe,

How do you know they are actually doing the alignment? They could just put the car up, look at it, bang the control arms a bit with a wrench and then claim they have done an alignment. A shop that offers lifetime alignment will be out of business real fast if they really performed an alignment everytime. To do it right, it takes a couple of hours...Imagine paying someone to do that with no income from the customer because it's free for a lifetime. I wonder how the shop makes any money.

Brent
I'm always there when they perform anything, from installing suspension to brake pads to alignments. Me and my bro knows the owner real well as well as most of the techs there. So I KNOW they're doing it and also DOING IT RIGHT
Old 10-25-01, 03:52 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

I'm always there when they perform anything, from installing suspension to brake pads to alignments. Me and my bro knows the owner real well as well as most of the techs there. So I KNOW they're doing it and also DOING IT RIGHT
Cool, just looking out for ya...

PS Can I get that deal too? heh heh
Old 10-25-01, 09:10 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

thanks guys for all your input....

william
Old 10-25-01, 09:51 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Will, I just had the Bilsteins installed that I picked up from you awhile back (didn't have to sell them after all). Had them installed with TRD Sways and Eibachs - what a difference. As though I didn't drive the 430 fast before!!!

When they got through installing (had a Lexus suspension person do the job moonlighting after hours) and he put it up on the rack the alignment was within spec all around. He recommended what others have - let the suspension settle in and align again. Haven't you had your suspension tuning done for awhile?

Or are you looking for something new?

I used to have a lifetime alignment deal from a local shop (many of the name brand stores used to offer it - even Sears used to). The way they would make money is from looking at other parts of the car when they were doing the alignment - usually the brakes, tires or the boots on the steering rack. They are still out there to be had and are worth it if they offer a 4 wheel alignment under the deal. I'll look around and re-post if I find a national/reputable shop that still offers.
Old 10-25-01, 10:00 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

TC,

thanks for the advice. i am glad that everything worked out for you. actually i just did mine suspension too, and the car dirves awesome. though there is no pulling of any sort, that is why i wonder if i should still get the alignment. i do realize whenever you change the suspension geometry, you should always re-check the alignmnet. it is just that i have also heared of horro stories of how shops actually messed up the alignment process, adn the car actually drives worse.

Quick Reply: Alignment issue