GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

No keys who can help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 04:31 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default No keys who can help?

My friend bought a 2001 Gs430 but the car has no keys how can he get a key without having to replace the ecu?
Old 11-27-06, 06:39 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you buy a car without "A" key. that is very funny. didn't the car even come with a valet key?
i don't think they is any other way. you have to get the ECU reset and have a set of new master keys made for about 200-500 dollars.
"some" local locksmiths do it and have the machine.
it is either that or you can go to the dealer and let them extort you doing what the locksmiths would do. (thousands)
hope this helps
Old 11-27-06, 06:44 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olddog
how do you buy a car without "A" key. that is very funny. didn't the car even come with a valet key?
i don't think they is any other way. you have to get the ECU reset and have a set of new master keys made for about 200-500 dollars.
"some" local locksmiths do it and have the machine.
it is either that or you can go to the dealer and let them extort you doing what the locksmiths would do. (thousands)
hope this helps

like olddog said how can he buy a car "without" a key.He didnt have even a spare key? Wow thats a really dumb purchase...tsk tsk
oh I wish pple would think before they buy
Old 11-27-06, 06:48 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If You Have Proof Of Ownership (registration, Title Etc) You Should Be Able To Get A Key Made From A Lexus Dealer Dont Remember How Much It Cost But I Lost My Key Once And They Just Asked Me For My Vin.... Good Luck Homie!
Old 11-27-06, 11:25 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

how much did your friend "buy" the car for?
$500 bucks?
lol
Old 11-27-06, 11:44 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

be sure your friend has the title with his name on it. Make a copy and send it to CL's lexus vendor (www.lexus-parts.com). They will be able to send you a cut master key for about $150.
If no title, choose a better profession.
Old 11-28-06, 03:36 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

he bought a gs430 with 24000 miles for $4000. Car has a salvage title but the owner lost the keys since it was in new orleans at the time of katrina. I was reading threads a while ago that said that some companies could program the key without having a master but you had to send them the ecu? I cant find those threads now?
Old 11-28-06, 09:45 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aristo6
If You Have Proof Of Ownership (registration, Title Etc) You Should Be Able To Get A Key Made From A Lexus Dealer Dont Remember How Much It Cost But I Lost My Key Once And They Just Asked Me For My Vin.... Good Luck Homie!
Originally Posted by sputniknyc
be sure your friend has the title with his name on it. Make a copy and send it to CL's lexus vendor (www.lexus-parts.com). They will be able to send you a cut master key for about $150.
If no title, choose a better profession.
You guys can have a key cut no problem, but it won't start the engine...

The only cheap alternative I can think of is to locate another totaled GS, and take the ECU, locks, and keys from it (trunk, ignition, doors, etc). Or you can just take the ignition and have 2 set of keys for the car.
Old 11-28-06, 10:07 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
he bought a gs430 with 24000 miles for $4000. Car has a salvage title but the owner lost the keys since it was in new orleans at the time of katrina. I was reading threads a while ago that said that some companies could program the key without having a master but you had to send them the ecu? I cant find those threads now?
Yes... you are correct... the guy that used to do this was a CL vendor sometime ago, but I forgot his name.
Old 11-28-06, 10:46 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so he never started the car?? just paid $4k and took the car thats just silly... as for the key, u have to get a locksmith to flash the ecu and reprogram it w/a master key i believe. as long as u have proof of ownership, lexus can cut a key for you w/the vin #
Old 11-28-06, 06:05 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

went to the dealership. he gave them proof of ownership they said that they can cut a key but cant program it without having an original. Their fix is to change the ecu for 1800 just for parts. Well silly or not its a car which is worth over 25000 for 4000 the car was sold as is. He just has to repair it now.

Anyone have any info about that vendor or anyone who can do it. Thank you for the help.
Old 11-28-06, 08:55 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

went to the dealership. he gave them proof of ownership they said that they can cut a key but cant program it without having an original. Their fix is to change the ecu for 1800 just for parts. Well silly or not its a car which is worth over 25000 for 4000 the car was sold as is. He just has to repair it now.

Anyone have any info about that vendor or anyone who can do it. Thank you for the help.
why did the car have a salvage title?
if it did not have any major damage and plans on keeping the car for a long time, then he can justify spending some money on new ecu and keys.
after all he got the car for cheap.
Old 11-28-06, 09:23 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

There was someone in Brooklyn that could reprogram the Ecu. Post a thread in the Regional section of the forums and someone will chime in.
Old 11-28-06, 09:25 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what i meant by silly is that how is he (or anyone for that matter) gonna spend $4k on a car with a salvage title and no keys... he didnt even test drive it. he has NO CLUE if the engine is good or if the transmission is no good or if there are any electrical problems... my guess is this is a flood vehicle and those are NOTHING but a headache. i know b/c my aunt unknowingly purchased a flooded vehicle and it was a nightmare... IMO, that was $4k well WASTED

but u can get the ecu reflashed... no need to spend around $1800 for the ecu
Old 11-28-06, 09:31 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Well thanks for the opinion I do share it with you. But he doesnt want to hear it. But the car cosmetically is fine. Water didnt seem to penetrate anything important meaning it did not get too high. But yes it is a flood vehicle. Having a Gs430 with that low of a mileage on the body you can definitely put some work into it and still come out on top. think about it. For that amount of money, would it be worth the risk for the GS? I think that if I had been in his place I also would have bought it and than I would just resale after everything was fixed. A quick way to make a good profit.

Thanks sputniknyc. i'll try that.

Quick Reply: No keys who can help?