GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help me decide GS400, 540i or C series!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 01:15 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, ran two 540s, and walked on them with my gs
Old 12-13-06, 01:30 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think if you spent a day on the BMW and MB forums looking at problems and issues you would find your answer easily.
Old 12-13-06, 01:44 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C class drives ok, for a that car though, I would expect to be stuck once in a while. Even the CLK my classmate drives sounds like nothing but grief to the poor man.

The Beem, well, awesome cars, my Dad has the X5 and he hasnt had one problem, but he isnt the norm.

Lexus, well we have our issues too, but in relative terms, they seem light.

With the GS4 you can mod and mod and still have a reliable car.
Old 12-13-06, 03:11 PM
Haulin' GS
Driver School Candidate

I was about a day from buying a 540i. I was too worried about the maintenance in the long term to make the purchase. I ended up with a GS 430. I like the realibility and peace of mind of this car. If you get the Bimmer, you had better plan to spend about 2-3K a year on maintenance based on my research, and that is for a previously well maintained car.

Get a GS and enjoy driving all the time.

Get a 540 and enjoy the short drives back from the shop.

Your Choice. :^)
Old 12-14-06, 07:39 AM
bmoon_007
Driver

Default Thanks for all the help

Thanks for all the advice guys. I trust the GS very much and now looking at an E class benz or newer body BMWs. I know it sounds like I can't make up my mind but when dropping 16k to 22k cash, I want to make sure I do it right. I think I'm leaning towards the GS since my mechanic JPI (he's on this forum)is very trustworthy and goes the extra mile for me and his customers. I've been on both bimmer and benz forums but not too much help when asking questions.

Thanks again,

- b
Old 12-15-06, 12:53 AM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
A car that blows both cars out of the box and at the same price point used..... 99-01 Audi S4 6 speed. Just a thought. Sinc you want a v8 6 speed, nothing beats the 540 with the sport package
One of the most problematic cars ever produced. Are you serious?
Old 12-15-06, 08:11 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

b4 i read everything.. def no c series unless its AMG
Old 12-15-06, 08:46 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bmoon_007
Thanks for all the advice guys. I trust the GS very much and now looking at an E class benz or newer body BMWs. I know it sounds like I can't make up my mind but when dropping 16k to 22k cash, I want to make sure I do it right. I think I'm leaning towards the GS since my mechanic JPI (he's on this forum)is very trustworthy and goes the extra mile for me and his customers. I've been on both bimmer and benz forums but not too much help when asking questions.

Thanks again,

- b
Did you post this same type of thread on the Bimmer and Benz forums? I am curious to read the responses. Please post the urls.

Back to your question - since you are buying used, it's a no brainer to get the GS. That's what I did 4 years ago when I bought my then 4 year old GS. I needed a reliable car and I don't regret my decision.

If however I was in the market for a new car instead of a used one, I would buy the Bimmer (550) hands down just because it is a more dynamically capable car. The looks are a different story though. Polarizing to say the least. I am starting to like it though. Go figure.
Old 12-15-06, 09:01 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDW91
I think if you spent a day on the BMW and MB forums looking at problems and issues you would find your answer easily.
Or the ES350 forum for that matter.

Quality and reliability is one thing. But doesn't anyone care about having fun when they drive anymore? Most performance cars are above average in terms of reliability. Lexus are great cars, but don't be so close minded with all the fun toys available to us.

Sometimes I feel like a Toyota, and sometimes I don't.
Old 12-15-06, 11:04 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Did you post this same type of thread on the Bimmer and Benz forums? I am curious to read the responses. Please post the urls.

Back to your question - since you are buying used, it's a no brainer to get the GS. That's what I did 4 years ago when I bought my then 4 year old GS. I needed a reliable car and I don't regret my decision.

If however I was in the market for a new car instead of a used one, I would buy the Bimmer (550) hands down just because it is a more dynamically capable car. The looks are a different story though. Polarizing to say the least. I am starting to like it though. Go figure.
I think i saw his thread on Bimmerfest. The 540i is no more problematic than a Gs4. No brand favoritism on my part, but I don't see anyone on the Bimmer boards complaining about their 540's vehemently as some want to press. Gs4 problems can range from motor mounts, starter, throttle body, suspension components, yaw sensors, just to name a few, and they are costly repairs at that. Maintain a car, and it will take care of you. Get the 540 if you like it.
Old 12-15-06, 11:19 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I think i saw his thread on Bimmerfest. The 540i is no more problematic than a Gs4. No brand favoritism on my part, but I don't see anyone on the Bimmer boards complaining about their 540's vehemently as some want to press. Gs4 problems can range from motor mounts, starter, throttle body, suspension components, yaw sensors, just to name a few, and they are costly repairs at that. Maintain a car, and it will take care of you. Get the 540 if you like it.
The problem with most BMW's is the owners. Folks buy these performance cars and treat them like Hondas and do not do required maintenance. Most of the issues noted are parts that wore out and could have been detected and prevented with routine inspections and maintenance. This is true for any car. However, with performance cars, you need to pay closer attention.

Also, folks whine about maintenance costs. Logic suggests that if you drive an expensive performance car, the parts will be expensive too. People want BMW performance with Hyundai maintenance costs. It just can't be done.

If you cannot afford to maintain a lexus, bmw, mb, etc. you should not be driving one.
Old 12-16-06, 01:46 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
I have had 5 BMW's, including my current 645. My advice, take the Lexus.

Seriously though, I cannot believe some of the stupid stuff BMW has been doing lately. I love the cars overall but the issues are many.

1. They are getting rid of oil dipsticks in favor of unreliable sensors
2. Runflat tires with no spare/jack on a 550i will run you about $1500.
3. iDrive needs a lot of work
4. My car visits the dealer for repair about 4 times per year.
5. Constant flow of software updates of which the dealers know little about.

I can go on and on. I am done with BMW. Life is too short to spend you time repairing a car even if it drives the best. With lexus, at least it drives.
I cant believe they still havent made the i-drive more intuitive. Your experience sounds exactly like what my father went through with his '03 745Li. The dealers were 100% clueless concerning the software upgrades. He ended up giving the car back within 8 months, oh, 8 months with 7 or 8 trips to the shop.
Old 12-16-06, 03:28 PM
wallcloud
Driver School Candidate

I bot a gs400 8mo ago and very satisfied. I test drove the BMW's, and new G35x. I spent less the 1/2 and twice as happy.
Old 12-19-06, 11:51 AM
M54U2NV
Driver School Candidate

I'd have to concur with DASHOCKER in post 25 and sdbrandon in post 26.

The original poster of this thread mentioned he wanted a manual. And then he later mentions he thinks it could be a bit cheesy to get a newer model of a car he already has

My advice to you is to really sit down and figure out what's important to you- like what you said; wanting a manual or having a V8 opposed to a V/I6 which is what you said. Which drives better for your style of driving? Which feels more comfortable to your ***? I assume you don't want FWD, so don't look at Acura. Do you feel confident on what the car is doing when you drive it? Don't worry about what is cheesy or who's gonna have more maintenance cost at this point. That is really a moot point this day and time especially when you consider the top tier brands. Each car you are looking at is gonna be pretty dayum fast. And if something goes wrong, either brand won’t be cheap. Think about the stuff you will have to deal with everyday. After you figured out the basics of your desires and also what you need, go get seat time in more than one GS4 and more than one 5 series or whatever it may be. See how they drive and feel for yourself and what you like and don’t like before you consider things people say especially when for many, the most they've done was test drive one and never really owned one.

I'm still waiting on these electrical gremlins and problems galore as some mention with the 5-series and maybe I am another exception to the rule, but I do drive my car and drive it hard, but I also do find myself sitting in traffic so really- I'm expecting these issues yet haven't had em.

I just read another post here where it seems some guy is gonna get charged $1700-$2300 for some carbon and other maintenance (above 80k) on his Lexus. Quite frankly that’s the same amount another just said it would cost to maintain a BMW...

I recently took out a Lexus for a test drive and it was quiet as hell- one factor I had during my search for another ride. Upon getting a PPI conducted, I found out that the transmission gasket (main seal gasket- don’t recall the exact name) among other things needed to be replaced. The price to repair- just under $4000 before taxes (almost half of which was for that one leaking gasket). I was also told that the windshield washer pump was broken, that the a bracket that supported the rear backing of the drivers seat was broken and that brakes (that were just replaced by the selling dealer) were showing uneven wear and needed to be replaced.

Is that how I should perceive all Lexus cars to be? I would hope you guys would say that my experience was an exception and not the rule. To me, the person who last had the car I test drove seemed to be a low or no maintenance owner who was never proactive- maybe just reactive.

Figure out what you want/need and like in a car, then ask yourself if you can be happy with some of the differences you find in each. There are a lot of good choices at the price point you seem to be aiming at. Would be a shame to base your choice on hearsay over your own experience especially when you have the option of choosing.
Old 12-19-06, 11:59 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by M54U2NV
I'd have to concur with DASHOCKER in post 25 and sdbrandon in post 26.

The original poster of this thread mentioned he wanted a manual. And then he later mentions he thinks it could be a bit cheesy to get a newer model of a car he already has

My advice to you is to really sit down and figure out what's important to you- like what you said; wanting a manual or having a V8 opposed to a V/I6 which is what you said. Which drives better for your style of driving? Which feels more comfortable to your ***? I assume you don't want FWD, so don't look at Acura. Do you feel confident on what the car is doing when you drive it? Don't worry about what is cheesy or who's gonna have more maintenance cost at this point. That is really a moot point this day and time especially when you consider the top tier brands. Each car you are looking at is gonna be pretty dayum fast. And if something goes wrong, either brand won’t be cheap. Think about the stuff you will have to deal with everyday. After you figured out the basics of your desires and also what you need, go get seat time in more than one GS4 and more than one 5 series or whatever it may be. See how they drive and feel for yourself and what you like and don’t like before you consider things people say especially when for many, the most they've done was test drive one and never really owned one.

I'm still waiting on these electrical gremlins and problems galore as some mention with the 5-series and maybe I am another exception to the rule, but I do drive my car and drive it hard, but I also do find myself sitting in traffic so really- I'm expecting these issues yet haven't had em.

I just read another post here where it seems some guy is gonna get charged $1700-$2300 for some carbon and other maintenance (above 80k) on his Lexus. Quite frankly that’s the same amount another just said it would cost to maintain a BMW...

I recently took out a Lexus for a test drive and it was quiet as hell- one factor I had during my search for another ride. Upon getting a PPI conducted, I found out that the transmission gasket (main seal gasket- don’t recall the exact name) among other things needed to be replaced. The price to repair- just under $4000 before taxes (almost half of which was for that one leaking gasket). I was also told that the windshield washer pump was broken, that the a bracket that supported the rear backing of the drivers seat was broken and that brakes (that were just replaced by the selling dealer) were showing uneven wear and needed to be replaced.

Is that how I should perceive all Lexus cars to be? I would hope you guys would say that my experience was an exception and not the rule. To me, the person who last had the car I test drove seemed to be a low or no maintenance owner who was never proactive- maybe just reactive.

Figure out what you want/need and like in a car, then ask yourself if you can be happy with some of the differences you find in each. There are a lot of good choices at the price point you seem to be aiming at. Would be a shame to base your choice on hearsay over your own experience especially when you have the option of choosing.
Good points. We seem to forget the reliability/quality ranking s are generally for the first few years of ownership. If you look at the CL posts on the older cars, they seem to be average with other car makes in terms of needing repairs. Some of them quite costly which is expected for an expensive car.

Quick Reply: Help me decide GS400, 540i or C series!?!