GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just Picked Up My 2002 GS300 SportDesign..a Quick Question Though

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-06, 09:08 PM
P Rock
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Picked Up My 2002 GS300 SportDesign..a Quick Question Though

EDIT: Some pics in post #14 below.

Hey all, I just picked up an '02 GS300 Sport Design, graphite grey on light grey interior, 56k miles. No pics as of yet since I just got it today and the car is caked with salt (gotta love midwest winters).

My question is, the CD player won't play any CD's. I read in the owners manual that it won't play CDR's so I tried 3 different normal CD's and it didn't play those either. I'm getting an "error 1" code after it tries and tries to play them. I searched "error 1" and "CD" but got nothing. Anyone know what might be causing this???

Thanks

Last edited by P Rock; 12-10-06 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 09:15 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

TAKE TO THE PERSON YOUR BOUGHT IT FROM AND ASK WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO YOUR CAR!!. If the worst happens, you might have to install a new CD player...Also how can you afford a NSX,Supra and a GS?

Also lovin the color combo
Old 12-09-06, 09:26 PM
P Rock
Driver

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
TAKE TO THE PERSON YOUR BOUGHT IT FROM AND ASK WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO YOUR CAR!!. If the worst happens, you might have to install a new CD player...Also how can you afford a NSX,Supra and a GS?

Also lovin the color combo
The person who sold it to me is the original owner and he doesn't know what happened with the CD player either. He said it just happened one day....
I was aware of this prior to buying but I got a pretty good deal on the car so I couldn't pass up on it

As for the cars....I love my job as an account exec for a mortgage lender, demanding and I put up with alot of BS but I love it
Old 12-09-06, 09:28 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

then I suggest taking it to the dealer..
And nice cars man but isnt it time for a SUV? I mean us Michigananians need at least 1SUV but i dont know about you Ohioans
Old 12-09-06, 09:30 PM
P Rock
Driver

Originally Posted by suhyuk1214
then I suggest taking it to the dealer..
And nice cars man but isnt it time for a SUV? I mean us Michigananians need at least 1SUV but i dont know about you Ohioans
lol....Trust me, our winters are just like yours'. I drive all over the city everyday for work so I needed something decent on gas. I'd love to own a SUV but I don't wanna spend a chunk of my life at the gas station

I guess I'll have to stop by a Lexus dealer. Something similar happened to my Supra after I re-connected the battery cable but the radio didn't work at all. Just displayed some error code. I got some weird passcode off of Supraforums and it worked again. Just thought maybe smething like this was similar.
Old 12-09-06, 09:58 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Lol.. when I bought my 02' GS300 I popped in all 6 cds into the disc changer.. all were burned... nothing played and i was like "WTF" for half the car ride home cause I was SO stoked to bump my favorite tunes in the illest whip around.. then i popped in a normal cd and it still didn't play.. THEN I REALIZED I HAD THE CDS IN UPSIDE DOWN. LOL

Make sure you didn't make the same mistake I did.. but if the guy said "it just happend one day" then im guessing he used CDs properly in it prior to you trying it out.
Old 12-09-06, 09:59 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cd-R

Originally Posted by P Rock
lol....Trust me, our winters are just like yours'. I drive all over the city everyday for work so I needed something decent on gas. I'd love to own a SUV but I don't wanna spend a chunk of my life at the gas station

I guess I'll have to stop by a Lexus dealer. Something similar happened to my Supra after I re-connected the battery cable but the radio didn't work at all. Just displayed some error code. I got some weird passcode off of Supraforums and it worked again. Just thought maybe smething like this was similar.
that's funny.my cd changer played cd-Rs before i switched to aftermarket.
are you sure the cds are placed in correctly. are u placing it in the catridge with the music side facing down? because that is wrong. cds should be placed in the catridge faciing upside down.
when i first got my GS and i was driving home i put in a cd and it said "error" but i called the owner and he advised me that the cds for the 2nd gen gs had their cds placed upside down as opposed to the regular way of inserting cds.And it worked.
try that. if that is not the problem then try changing the changer.
am sure you can find one for cheap in the audio classifieds.
Good luck and oh Welcome to CL.
Old 12-09-06, 10:21 PM
vborder
Lead Lap

mine plays CDR's too!
Old 12-09-06, 10:50 PM
P Rock
Driver

Boy do I feel stupid

I had the CD's in backwards like you guys were saying. But let me say this....I have NEVER seen a car that had the CD's upside down. None of the cars I've ever owned, none of the cars my girlfrind has ever owned, none of the cars my parents owned etc.... Thanks everyne.....I promise to post pics as soon as I get her washed and when the weather clears up a little.

My question now is, WTF was the previous owner talking about?? Oh well, I'm very content with my purchase. This car is CLEAN and the previous owner threw in alot of dealer purchased accessories. This is MUCH better than the POS Lincoln LS I was driving before.

Last edited by P Rock; 12-09-06 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 11:12 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

I was just going to add the same advice as to make sure the cd labels are facing downward lol.
Old 12-10-06, 12:29 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pickup. Mortgage FTW! $$$$
Old 12-10-06, 07:26 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL... post some pics when you get a chance.. also, thats probably one of the best selections of cars i've seen in awhile.. Congrats

T
Old 12-10-06, 12:04 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

nice purchase man, i'm sure you'll love it. post up some pics when you get a chance, i love that GGP color
Old 12-10-06, 12:43 PM
P Rock
Driver

Here are some pics....not the best pics though. I'll get better ones soon.

Just installed HID's today...

The previous owner gave me these '03 Sport design badges (they're different from the '02 ones). I'm gonna put them on but I'm not sure of their exact placement location. If anyone has a pic, please show me
Old 12-10-06, 01:03 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

could not go wrong with gs.. Nice car!!! Congrats

Quick Reply: Just Picked Up My 2002 GS300 SportDesign..a Quick Question Though