GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Am i getting screwed? Dealer servicing price

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 07:27 AM
gtmax
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i getting screwed? Dealer servicing price

I took my car in yesterday to the LExus of Manhattan. There was a screeching noise coming from one of the belts. i got 81K miles on it also and wanted to see what the mechanic (Lexus Mechanic) thought and if i needed the 90K service.

Call back from Lexus said that there were a number of issues with the car. The car has stalled and turned off on me four times in a little over a year. The service rep person told me that the engine had tons of 'carbon' type of dirt or some other thing. the throttle body needs to be replaced. Both the water pump and timing belt and because of that, she recommends the 90K service.

In addition, the brake pads and rotors are due. Total cost: USD 2,500.00. The 90K service alone, including timing belt and water pump: USD 1,700.00. I'm getting the brakes done independently, but i don't know about the tune up and the other stuff.

Am i crazy or are these outrageous prices?
Old 12-19-06, 07:46 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $1700 for the following:

Spark Plugs
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Transmission Fluid Flush
Throttle Body cleaning
Oil change

This was the lowest price I could find after talking to 4 dealerships. Some quoted me as much as $2300 for the same work. I am not sure exactly what is included in the 90k service, but hopefully this gives you a better idea of what to expect.
Old 12-19-06, 07:51 AM
gtmax
Driver

Can you buy the parts and have the dealer just install them?
Old 12-19-06, 08:02 AM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmax
Can you buy the parts and have the dealer just install them?
You can, but the dealerships around here won't warranty them. If you buy the parts from the dealership and have them install them, you should get a 12k 1year warranty on them. How much is that worth to you?

You can also try taking your car to a toyota dealership...you should get the same warranty there and it should cost less to do the same repairs with the exact same parts. The only problem is the mechanics do not have as much experience on lexus vehicles (especially 400's).
Old 12-19-06, 08:12 AM
lostinthew
Driver

Default Too Expensive! Shop!

I just dropped my 98 300 this morning for the following work at a place called Ace Automotive in Arlington Heights IL:

timing belt
water pump (coolant)
NGK spark plugs
transmission drain and fill
serpentine belt

$800
Old 12-19-06, 11:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmax
I took my car in yesterday to the LExus of Manhattan. There was a screeching noise coming from one of the belts. i got 81K miles on it also and wanted to see what the mechanic (Lexus Mechanic) thought and if i needed the 90K service.

Call back from Lexus said that there were a number of issues with the car. The car has stalled and turned off on me four times in a little over a year. The service rep person told me that the engine had tons of 'carbon' type of dirt or some other thing. the throttle body needs to be replaced. Both the water pump and timing belt and because of that, she recommends the 90K service.

In addition, the brake pads and rotors are due. Total cost: USD 2,500.00. The 90K service alone, including timing belt and water pump: USD 1,700.00. I'm getting the brakes done independently, but i don't know about the tune up and the other stuff.

Am i crazy or are these outrageous prices?
Those prices are about right. Lexus service is not cheap in NYC. Expect to pay 90 plus dollars per hour in labor alone, parts are extra. My suggestion is to get the minor things like oil change, tranny flush, brakes, power steering done elsewhere and have them do your timing belt water pump service. Since your in NYC, give Toyota of Bayside a call. They work on Lexus. When i took my Rav4 there, i saw an 06 GS being worked on. I had them flush the coolant on my GS this year with Toyota red. If you go there, see service writer Barry.. Nice guy Bayside has the prices of the various services right in front of you plastered on each service writer podium, so you can't be jerked for money. Check the Neloc section. I had a Amsoil meet with guys having a number of items done that will save $$ in the long run.
Old 12-19-06, 02:34 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Why would the throttle body need to be replaced?? I would just clean it. Spark plus and such can be done by you, why would you pay someone for that? What does everyone get done on a tune up for a 98-00 GS400?
Old 12-19-06, 02:46 PM
gtmax
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Those prices are about right. Lexus service is not cheap in NYC. Expect to pay 90 plus dollars per hour in labor alone, parts are extra. My suggestion is to get the minor things like oil change, tranny flush, brakes, power steering done elsewhere and have them do your timing belt water pump service. Since your in NYC, give Toyota of Bayside a call. They work on Lexus. When i took my Rav4 there, i saw an 06 GS being worked on. I had them flush the coolant on my GS this year with Toyota red. If you go there, see service writer Barry.. Nice guy Bayside has the prices of the various services right in front of you plastered on each service writer podium, so you can't be jerked for money. Check the Neloc section. I had a Amsoil meet with guys having a number of items done that will save $$ in the long run.
Appreciate the input. I will give them a call. right now i'm enjoying the RX350.

And i'm sure spark plugs are easy to do but i know next to nothing about doing car work. i can't even replace the tail light bulbs.
Old 12-19-06, 03:44 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

gtmax, I love working on cars so if you'd like to learn I can talk you through doing the standard stuff. I'm in the Bronx on the weekends so we can meet up and have a few beers while working on the GS Just a thought though
Old 12-19-06, 03:50 PM
gtmax
Driver

I'm originally from the Bronx, in Queens now. I'd love to learn how to do all the small stuff. I'm almost done with school for this semester so i'll shoot you a PM after the holydays.
Old 12-19-06, 03:59 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Old 12-19-06, 04:28 PM
Lkevon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UTGS400
You can, but the dealerships around here won't warranty them. If you buy the parts from the dealership and have them install them, you should get a 12k 1year warranty on them. How much is that worth to you?

You can also try taking your car to a toyota dealership...you should get the same warranty there and it should cost less to do the same repairs with the exact same parts. The only problem is the mechanics do not have as much experience on lexus vehicles (especially 400's).
I agree with UTG400 if you have an V8 Lexus. My GS400 just got screwed at Toyota with bent valves! I would go to Lexus or some place that have experience with your car!!!
Old 12-19-06, 05:24 PM
salimshah

Received 1,055 Likes on 952 Posts

Here is a 33000 ft high view.

1. Lexus dealership service and repair charges are high (lets leave the parts out of this discussion)

2. Lexus provides superb service.

3. If there are problems, Lexus goes out of the way to fix it and does its best to satisfy a customer.

4. Lexus (and all other business are there to make money)

Does it makes sense why the service charges would be high.

Salim
Old 12-19-06, 05:38 PM
gtmax
Driver

No, i don't think it makes sense.

Up until last year, Lexus was only an entity that existed outside of Japan. The GS line gets all its work done in the same place they do Toyotas in Japan. Sure it's an excellent car, but it's not Ferrari or Masserati. Any decent mechanic, for example, can do a break job (ie., pads, rotors, calipers). Lexus is charging me 303 bucks per set of pads and 685 bucks for rotors. I could find excellent aftermarket pads for less than 80 bucks online and changing them is as easy as changing the pads on a bicycle - provided that you know what you're doing.

If they can charge so much because they provide excellent service, and go out of their way to fix any problems, i'd rather get crappy service and a reasonable price.

It's not even a matter of the money, is the principle of being f-ck over just because you're stuck with a dealer.
Old 12-20-06, 01:17 PM
salimshah

Received 1,055 Likes on 952 Posts

gtmax:

You missed my point. I was trying to explain why the price is high. My intent was not to justify it. The same applies to this note.

The choice of owners willing to get the repairs done by Lexus dealership or some where else is completly theirs.

When Toyota created a new Lexus badege, the corporation made the distinction. People who own Merceds and BMW kept yelling "it is toyota". If you agree with it, only then, the expectation of service/labor/relationbship/? charge to be the same between Toyota and Lexus, would be valid.

Salim

Quick Reply: Am i getting screwed? Dealer servicing price