GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Coil-Over Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-01, 03:39 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coil-Over Installation

hey guys im getting coil-overs in the spring and i want to learn now how to install them... i wil be doin extensive reaserch and learning on how to remove the stock setup and install the TEIN HA... please post all the information you have... all the things i have to look out for and a step by step procedure of what to remove first.. dont worry guys im not going into this uneducated and YES I WILL USE A SPRING COMPRESSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

couple extra questions

1) when you raise the car... and the wheel doesn't touch the ground anymore.. what is it that stops the suspension arm from dropping, and causing the spring to shoot out? i take it this is whati need to remove to get the spring out, but i must compress the spring FIRST correct?

2) What are the main differences between the rear and front installation procedures?

thanks guys, also please post links to other places that help in the installation of coil-overs

Last edited by LexusRules; 11-01-01 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-01-01, 03:43 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

never mind question one i understand it... but i dont knwo which bolts i have to remove.. if someone could give me pics it woudl really really help out
Old 11-01-01, 05:34 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question One: The thing holding up the wheel i think is the upper control arm. Actually you just have to lossen the control arms. THere is a bolt holding the shock to the lower control arm. You have to unbolt that ot remove the shock/spring combo. Obviously you need to lossen the upper control arm so you can get the shock/spring combo out. Then you also have to unbolt the three bolts per side on each shock/spring and than you can pull it out. Just make sure you hvae something bracing the upper control arm or else the brake will hit you and it will not be good. I have seen this and it isn't hard but those are my tips. Hope it helps.
Old 11-01-01, 07:06 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT EVER YOU DO .... DONT OPEN THE MIDDLE BIG BOLT ON THE TOP OF THE STRUT TOWER IN BETWEEN the 3 smaller bolts (used to hold the top part of the strut to the car) .....

first unscrew the 3 bolts that are in the triangular pattern (under your hood) and unscrew the bold that holds the strut to the bottom of the car......

if changing springs/shocks.... compress the springs... and then open that middle bolt that is on top of the strut. and it should come apart....

like i said if you unscrew that middle bolt while the spring is compressed and on the car... the spring will shoot out of the fender and cause alot of damage...... very dangerous.. if i were you (im a do it you self kinda guy too ) but im getting my H&r springs and ltuned shocks installed tomo im taking it to a shop to get it done for like 100bucks... gotta get it done right the first time....... even though my school has a class called auto tech with like 7 garage space's with like 3 lifts and like every possible thing you can imagine in a auto mechanic shop (including pro spring compressors) im still taking it to a performance shop to get it done... cause if something goes wrong there responsible...... and and after lowering dont forget the alinegmint
Old 11-02-01, 05:07 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

haha thanks man... but i seriously want to do it myself because i want to be ABLE to do it myself and i want to be good at it... also i know that if i study hard enough and make sure i know EXACTLY what im doing then i wont have to worry about anything.

since im starting now and have all winter i ask you guys for lotsa lotsa help, i need to take some pictures of my car and maybe you guys could edit the images and put cricles and numbers on the bolts i need to take off and in what order..?
thanks again